NTSC RGB Modded N64

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

NTSC RGB Modded N64

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:48 am

Hi all,

I've recently got back into my N64, since I bought the Everdrive 64 and now have access to every single title on the system without having to use iffy emulation.

However, i bought the console way back in 1997, and it was the NTSC version. I got it RGB modded at the time, and I used my SNES RGB scart cable on it at the time. The picture quality was decent enough, all vibrant and colourful, but not perfect and had slight rolling to it, and certainly on white backgrounds and certain other colours. I let it go at the time, and just moved on.

Since trying it out again though, I am wondering what I can do to fix it. Is it the SCART cable I'm using? A dodgy RBG mod? Its definitely not the television, as i've tried it on CRT ones and they all do the same, and my small LCD Sony Bravia produces the best i've seen so far, but still suffers from this same issue.

I'm awaiting now an S-Video cable for it to be delivered, in the hope that it might at least be a quick cheap fix. It might not produce ultimately as good a picture as RGB Scart, but i want it to be solid and consistent. Will an S-Video even work on my N64 anymore, seeing as its been modified?

Has anyone else come across this kind of problem before? Its annoying as the PS1 and Saturn pictures are just fine and solid, where as my N64 suffers from this stupid and noticeable issue.

Mootown

Re: NTSC RGB Modded N64

Post by Mootown » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 am

I could be wrong but I think when you have the RGB mod done, the S-VHS doesn't work anymore and it's just composite?

Sephiroth81

Re: NTSC RGB Modded N64

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 am

Mootown wrote:I could be wrong but I think when you have the RGB mod done, the S-VHS doesn't work anymore and it's just composite?
Hmmm, I hope you are wrong! I mean the S-VIDEO cable I bought has the s-video lead, and the three (red,white,yellow) cables in total (4 different leads effectively). So if you are right, I can still use the composite red,white and yellow cables?

Also, if this is the case, and someone on my N64 its not possible to run s-video because of the RGB mod - is this RGB mod reversible?

If this is not the case, i'm thinking of just picking up an NTSC N64 without any modifications.