Assassins Creed Black Flag

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Assassins Creed Black Flag

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:04 am

Is this any good or what? I'm thinking of getting it for PS4.

Eat your nans pants

Dave300

Re: Assassins Creed Black Flag

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 am

hell yeah! I'm currently playing it on the PC. I've played and completed all (five!) predecessors and this one is certainly in the top three :D
if you've not played any previous AC then I don't think it really matters.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:56 am

Yeah, I'm trying to weigh up whether to get it for the Wii U. People who know these sorts of things tell me it's very good, much better and faster moving than the third one (which I did actually enjoy, even if the pace was glacial).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:58 am

killbot wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to weigh up whether to get it for the Wii U. People who know these sorts of things tell me it's very good, much better and faster moving than the third one (which I did actually enjoy, even if the pace was glacial).
By 'third' do you mean AC3 or AC Brotherhood? :D Personally I think 3, good though it is, is one of the weakest in the series and 4 definitely builds on it successfully.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:48 am

I liked the first Assassins Creed even though it was widely canned, and I think the series then peaked with number two. Brotherhood and Revelations were really good but I got censored bored with 3, which has left me questioning whether to buy Black Flag or not...

Eat your nans pants

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:10 am

crusto wrote:I liked the first Assassins Creed even though it was widely canned, and I think the series then peaked with number two. Brotherhood and Revelations were really good but I got censored bored with 3, which has left me questioning whether to buy Black Flag or not...

4 is much more fun than 3 - they've really built on the whole sailing/pirate theme which I'm sure you've gathered already, and I think it works really well, although you still spend plenty of time on land. There's nothing more satisfying than winning a sea battle, swinging onto the still-burning enemy ship to kill the captain, plundering the ship or sending it to your fleet, and then sailing off into the sunset with your crew singing a shanty!

According to the menu I'm at 45% completion, but so far there's been very little 'outside the Animus' activity. In the 'real world' you play as a new character, as an employee of Abstergo Entertainment.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 pm

I bought it! Must say that "so far so good" but the AI seems really ropey from what I've seen so far. Ive been practically bumming the guards before being noticed, and the combat is extremely simple. This is before any combat tutorial....

I like it though

Eat your nans pants

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:46 pm

crusto wrote:I liked the first Assassins Creed even though it was widely canned, and I think the series then peaked with number two. Brotherhood and Revelations were really good but I got censored bored with 3, which has left me questioning whether to buy Black Flag or not...
It's easily the best since Assassin's Creed 2. I've just 100%'d the single player mode of Assassin's Creed 4 (PS3) and I'd liken it to a kind of cross between Assassin's Creed 2 and Zelda: The Wind Waker in that there's a lot of sailing around small islands and looking for treasure. The ship battles/looting/plundering are great (they pretty much make up half the game) and the storyline and side missions are plenty enough to keep you interested. Definitely give it a whirl :)

The only thing I'd say isn't that great about it is the 'modern day' sections.....it really doesn't progress the running storyline of the modern day Assassins vs Abstergo/The Templars at all, and doesn't reveal that much new or important that the previous games didn't cover. Hopefully the next AC game will take things forward a lot more.

EDIT: Oh, you've bought it, didn't notice. :lol: If you go for 100% sync on all storyline missions like I did, you'll be cursing the guards later on, bastards seem to spot you from a mile away towards the end.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:50 am

AC3 was so dull I gave in after a couple of hours but I really loved the other games. If I was stuck with a next gen console with no games on it I might give it a try, but I'm happy to wait till it drops in price on the 360.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:AC3 was so dull I gave in after a couple of hours but I really loved the other games. If I was stuck with a next gen console with no games on it I might give it a try, but I'm happy to wait till it drops in price on the 360.
It's funny how everybody's so down on Assassin's Creed 3. It's no masterpiece but it got much better as it went along and I loved exploring the frontier, doing all the hunting missions and stuff, plus the naval missions.

To me, the standout crappiest game in the series was Assassin's Creed Revelations. It was just clear at that point that they were milking Ezio's popularity for all they could, the overworld design of Constantinople with the huge expanse of water running through the middle completely bored me, the 'tower defense' minigame where you had to defend your hideouts was horrible and felt a little broken...it was the only game in the series where I've rushed through it fairly quickly just to get the storyline details but even the story wasn't that great with extremely uninteresting missions to complete.

Luckily, Assassin's Creed 4 is a lot better than them both IMHO.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm umming and arring over black flag. I loved one, hated 2, 3 was okay ( still haven't finished) I'm skipping brotherhood. The thing about 1 that pissed me off was I was trying to play it sneaky, you know like an assassin. And at the end you had to do a stupid boss fight.
Scott me up beamie!

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:I'm umming and arring over black flag. I loved one, hated 2, 3 was okay ( still haven't finished) I'm skipping brotherhood. The thing about 1 that pissed me off was I was trying to play it sneaky, you know like an assassin. And at the end you had to do a stupid boss fight.
Hated 2? Wow, each to their own and all that but seriously, wow!

I thought 2 was proper good :P

Eat your nans pants

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 am

I didn't like all the early fights, they were annoying. Luckily it was my sons 360 copy of the game so I just gave up early, nothing lost.
Scott me up beamie!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 am

I'm a huge AC fan - the only reason I haven't bought Black Flag yet is that I'm not sure whether to wait until I get a PS4?

Is the PS4 version much different to the PS3? Start-of-gen vs end-of gen......

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:09 am

Is ps4 backwards compatible? Actually if you're upgrading your save would disappear. Forget I said anything. I'll get me coat.
Scott me up beamie!