Games you love from genres you hate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

Re: Games you love from genres you hate

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:44 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I really dislike RTS games in general but would rate Warcraft 2 as one of my favourite games. Weird. :?

I just think the pace and atmosphere of it is spot on, as opposed to something that seems to run at turbo speed to me like Command & Conquer where you can be overrun quickly before you've even had a chance to see what's in the immediate area around your base.
I thought the original Warcraft was the one for me, simple but awesome. It all started getting silly after that

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 am

imo the speed of c&c is nothing compared to starcraft, that game is stupidly fast paced. people saying its like chess. nope. when was the last time you played chess at 100mph? lol. the game of chess isn't meant to be played like that, can we have more strategy games that aren't engineered for superhumans please? some people want to play games for fun! :D
rts is a genre I used to like but its been a long time since i've played a game in that genre I really enjoyed.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Analog wrote:imo the speed of c&c is nothing compared to starcraft, that game is stupidly fast paced. people saying its like chess. nope. when was the last time you played chess at 100mph? lol. the game of chess isn't meant to be played like that, can we have more strategy games that aren't engineered for superhumans please? some people want to play games for fun! :D
rts is a genre I used to like but its been a long time since i've played a game in that genre I really enjoyed.
That's why i always prefer turn-based over real-time. I need time to process information.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

yea I tend to favour the turn based games when considering strategy and mainly just lookout for them. I was hoping the recent c&c would be a return to their roots (that's what they were planning it to be like) but they pulled the plug on the game... I found c&c was one of the easier ones to play, probably because back in its early days rts was a lot more basic, it does seem like with time some games become more and more overly complex. thats all well and good as long as we can keep up with everything and they balance this with slower pace, I just feel a lot of the games are designed for micromanagement speedy geniuses who operate on a different level to most regular gamers.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:32 pm

I don't really hate racing games, I just prefer the Mario Kart/Street Racer types over more realistic versions but I do really like playing F1 Racing Championship on the Dreamcast for some reason.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 am

Know they're popular but I'm another one not into strat/RTS games, lack the patience generally BUT am loving The Sims Pets on 3DS and one of my all time faves is C&C Retaliation on PS1, me and the bro played it via link cable thru a small hole we gouged thru the bedroom wall for the best part of two years, epic times!!!!!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 am

I always found Flight sims dull as ditchwater, but I enjoyed Gunship 2000, mainly because it was the first game in that genre I'd ever played where I had a clue what was going on.

Pinhead7

Post by Pinhead7 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 pm

I don't like FPS but I love Tomb Raiders and House of the Dead.
I don't really like Sim/Time management games but I loved Theme Park.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Not keen on RTS games but I really like Pikmin (1 & 2) and Little king's Story.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823