Games you love from genres you hate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spacepatrol

Games you love from genres you hate

Post by Spacepatrol » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:01 pm

I absolutely love the Bioshock games, but I have never been a fan of first person shooters, right from Doom to both the Half life games, and the Halo series the just make me feel bored after 10 minutes, But there is something about the pace and atmosphere that has made me play all the Bioshocks through to the end. I can't even get into the System Shock or Deus Ex games which are very similar.

Are there any games from genres that you don't like that contain games you love? I'm also not a big fan of Strategy games but played Detritus to death.

samhain81

Re: Games you love from genres you hate

Post by samhain81 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Sega Soccer Slam - I hate football games, but this gem is the best 'footie' game around.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Portal for puzzle games and The Walking Dead for point n' click adventures

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm

No fan of side scrolling shmup's....loved Axelay (even though i couldn't quite finish the last boss off)
No fan of footy games.....loved Kick Off 2 on the Atari ST (and Sensi on SNES)
No fan of side scrolling beat 'em ups (sorry Shinobi :oops: )....loved Golden Axe to the point it was the only arcade game i ever finished.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Same as you I hate the COD type games but love all three of the Bio Shock games.. I think Bioshock 1 is the best in genre as they made the single player as good as possible and not tack on all the pointless Multiplayer, Bioshock 2 was also very good.. Tried Doom and Quake but can't get into them but love Duke Nukem that everybody slates

Also Day of Reckoning 2 on the Gamecube the current WWE games are a basterisation of this.. Nintendo a family friendly console lets you fight chicks as a dude.. But the Jakks game have cut all this "Whats up with that"? All the Gamefaqs boards are complaining you can't beat the women up
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 pm

nokgod wrote:No fan of side scrolling shmup's....loved Axelay (even though i couldn't quite finish the last boss off)
No fan of side scrolling beat 'em ups (sorry Shinobi :oops: )....loved Golden Axe to the point it was the only arcade game i ever finished.
need to get hold of the mega drive collection for you mate, all 3 of the md ones are on there :D

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:20 pm

I've always found myself to never have a legitimate hate for any genre.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Not into sports games but I like some winter games, golfing games, soccer games, tennis games, boarding games, boxing games, ect.

I guess the same could be said for RPG and RTS games (I like turn-based strategy and action-adventure games though).

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm

speedlolita wrote:I've always found myself to never have a legitimate hate for any genre.
I think its just a figure of speech, speedy :wink:
flatapex wrote: need to get hold of the mega drive collection for you mate, all 3 of the md ones are on there :D
You know, i've never played any of the MD versions.... :oops:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm

nokgod wrote:No fan of side scrolling shmup's....loved Axelay (even though i couldn't quite finish the last boss off)
Scrolling beat em ups are all my all time favorite 8) Loved Golden Axe in the arcade that's what got me into the genre
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:30 pm

I think the only other one i've played to completion was Streets of Rage 2 and that was mostly because it was the bro in law's favourite game, so we had to play it (it was his MD)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Axelay

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:33 pm

nokgod wrote:
flatapex wrote: need to get hold of the mega drive collection for you mate, all 3 of the md ones are on there :D
You know, i've never played any of the MD versions.... :oops:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

pretty sure i had 2 of them growing up, had 2 for sure as i spent 3 months solid trying to complete it on all difficulty levels

got it on ps2 and ps3, for the streets of rage games

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 am

Not much of a fan of fighting games since Street Fighter 2... This perfected the genre early on
and everything after it has just ruined the perfect formula... Like mixing 12 year old scotch
with iron bru... gibberish button combinations for special moves... Stupid combos were
the whole screen explodes in a confused cacaphony and then someone lies dead and
you don't even know what happened... and 3 dimensions were 2 were perfectly fine
why waste a whole dimension?

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 am

I can't say that I hate any particular genre, unless shovel ware qualifies at a genre.

Maybe I could nominate SMG and Skyward Sword from the mindless joypad waggle with standard control omitted genre. Awesome games on my scrap heap.

Eat your nans pants