Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lemonjellydude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by lemonjellydude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 am

Whilst I havent yet had much time to use it I do now have my JXD quad core machine, I tested out the Snes emulator and the games ran perfectly.
Only thing I havent got my head around yet is the button mapping, does anyone have a guide to this as its not mentioned in the instruction manual I got....

User avatar
Scratch_Porkings
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:35 pm

There's a new Atari ST emu out on Google play called Hataroid. I'm trying it out now, it seems OK. It's free unlike Stoid, it hasn't got savestates yet but has got allot of good features. Decent mouse emulation for one. I think Stoid is still king... For now, but because Hataroid is based on the (I think) open source hataroid of PC and PDA fame there should be allot going on on the android ST scene. Fingers crossed.
Scott me up beamie!

lemonjellydude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by lemonjellydude » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 am

Im starting to get used to the JXD set-up and the button mapping which seems a lot easier than I originally thought.
Does anyone know if I can buy playstore credit elesewhere? I.E not provide my credit card details when I buy game like a nintendo gift card?
The only reason I ask is I do want to purchase some premium emulators but got a bit scared wheN AVG detected Malware on my machine so now im being over cautious.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 am

You can get pre-paid Google Play gift cards in loads of places.
GAME, WH Smith, Wilkinsons...

lemonjellydude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by lemonjellydude » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:You can get pre-paid Google Play gift cards in loads of places.
GAME, WH Smith, Wilkinsons...
perfect! will be getting me one of these then, cheers!

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by quantum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 am

psj3809 wrote:
lemonjellydude wrote:reading this thread has certainly got me considering a tablet to play retro games on.
Can anybody recommend me a tablet or gaming tablet in the under £100 range? I did see a JXD S5110b for £68.99 which looked pretty decent any good?
Well i bought one of those Tescos Hudl devices, was a bit nervous as sometimes the cheaper ones are cheap for a reason ! This is £109, if you have any clubcard vouchers they double these towards the Hudl, so obviously £20 of vouchers means £40 off the price which is very good.
Hudl seems great for the price, but reviews are mixed, so I'm surprised it provides good emulation. Thinking of getting a Nexus 7. Like the idea of hassle free emulation compared to a non-jail broken iPad. Oh and Netflix USA...
Image

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

lemonjellydude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by lemonjellydude » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 am

quantum wrote:
psj3809 wrote:
lemonjellydude wrote:reading this thread has certainly got me considering a tablet to play retro games on.
Can anybody recommend me a tablet or gaming tablet in the under £100 range? I did see a JXD S5110b for £68.99 which looked pretty decent any good?
Well i bought one of those Tescos Hudl devices, was a bit nervous as sometimes the cheaper ones are cheap for a reason ! This is £109, if you have any clubcard vouchers they double these towards the Hudl, so obviously £20 of vouchers means £40 off the price which is very good.
Hudl seems great for the price, but reviews are mixed, so I'm surprised it provides good emulation. Thinking of getting a Nexus 7. Like the idea of hassle free emulation compared to a non-jail broken iPad. Oh and Netflix USA...
I would highly recommend a JXD s7800b now that I own one, for the price its a real nifty bit of kit and getting emulators up and running really is super easy.
The thing that takes a little adjusting to is the button mapping and the fact the controls are permantly seen on the screen but u get used to it.
DinoDirect is a pretty good place to find gaming tablets and are often pretty cheap or on deals.

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by quantum » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 am

lemonjellydude wrote:
quantum wrote:Hudl seems great for the price, but reviews are mixed, so I'm surprised it provides good emulation. Thinking of getting a Nexus 7. Like the idea of hassle free emulation compared to a non-jail broken iPad. Oh and Netflix USA...
I would highly recommend a JXD s7800b now that I own one, for the price its a real nifty bit of kit and getting emulators up and running really is super easy.
The thing that takes a little adjusting to is the button mapping and the fact the controls are permantly seen on the screen but u get used to it.
DinoDirect is a pretty good place to find gaming tablets and are often pretty cheap or on deals.
The price looks great, but reviews say lots of Google Play apps don't work, which is a worry as I want to use it with non-gaming apps (i.e. Netflix).
Image

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

User avatar
SuperFamiKing
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by SuperFamiKing » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Nexus 7 2013, Sixaxis Controller app (allows ps3 pad over bluetooth) and a slimport = amazing emulator gaming on 47" LG 3D Smart TV

had to go down this route as I couldn't get my retro consoles looking good on the tv, no matter what cables I tried (plus the mrs wouldn't let the 21" crt in the livingroom :lol: )
My games room was a great idea when i set it up, but in reality I just don't use it.......this way I actually do a fair bit of retro gaming (99% sfc)! :D
Image

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by quantum » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 am

SuperFamiKing wrote:Nexus 7 2013, Sixaxis Controller app (allows ps3 pad over bluetooth) and a slimport = amazing emulator gaming on 47" LG 3D Smart TV
Sounds great! Can you select/change games using the ps3 pad or do you need to use the tablet?
Image

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

User avatar
SuperFamiKing
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by SuperFamiKing » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:46 pm

quantum wrote:
SuperFamiKing wrote:Nexus 7 2013, Sixaxis Controller app (allows ps3 pad over bluetooth) and a slimport = amazing emulator gaming on 47" LG 3D Smart TV
Sounds great! Can you select/change games using the ps3 pad or do you need to use the tablet?
You can do everything with the pad including move between apps etc........ even write an email if you want to torture yourself :-)
Image

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:09 pm

SuperFamiKing wrote:
quantum wrote:
SuperFamiKing wrote:Nexus 7 2013, Sixaxis Controller app (allows ps3 pad over bluetooth) and a slimport = amazing emulator gaming on 47" LG 3D Smart TV
Sounds great! Can you select/change games using the ps3 pad or do you need to use the tablet?
You can do everything with the pad including move between apps etc........ even write an email if you want to torture yourself :-)
How do you use a PS3 pad on an android tablet? Does it require rooting the device? I have figured out how to use the Wiimote with my Samsung tab without rooting it, whats the method for the PS3 one? Thanks

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26660
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 am

Same way, just installed a PS3 keyboard app.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Same way, just installed a PS3 keyboard app.
Ah ok thanks. I'm thinking it would be quite useful, but then to be honest I feel the Wiimote is ideal really for me....and add the classic controller and its perfect for the 16 bit era.

I might give it a try anyway, its good to experiment. Plus I think I bricked my Archos Gamepad the other night.... :oops:

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by quantum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:43 am

Has anyone tried an external controller on a Hudl? I assume it'll work unless Tesco has a custom version of Android installed... :?
Image

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RuySan and 1 guest