Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scooby1970

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 pm

psj3809 wrote: I wasnt expecting my cheap Tesco Hudl tablet to do that much...
Why not? The Hudl may be cheap but more powerful than the original Nexus 7, and not much less powerful than the newest Nexus 7. Indeed, the Hudl is quite a powerhouse with an awesome screen and of course that Micro-SD slot. I reviewed it here: http://scooby1970.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1 ... eview.html as part of my technology blog, and run it side by side with the original Nexus 7 as a test.

Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Yes, it just goes to show how much things have moved on in the space of a year that Tesco can put out a tablet at around half the price of the original Nexus 7, despite that being widely regarded as a loss leader for Google, that matches or exceeds its spec.

The new Nexus 7 is a fair bit more powerful still though, and well worth the extra £80 or so if your budget can stretch. You could still almost get two for the price of an iPad Mini, after all.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Has anyone got the Advent Tegra note 7? Has a 1280 x 800 resolution screen and a Tegra chipset for only £129.99
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Scooby1970 wrote:
psj3809 wrote: I wasnt expecting my cheap Tesco Hudl tablet to do that much...
Why not? The Hudl may be cheap but more powerful than the original Nexus 7, and not much less powerful than the newest Nexus 7. Indeed, the Hudl is quite a powerhouse with an awesome screen and of course that Micro-SD slot. I reviewed it here: http://scooby1970.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1 ... eview.html as part of my technology blog, and run it side by side with the original Nexus 7 as a test.

Mark
Yep I read your review before deciding to get mine. As Matt said its amazing how fast things have moved its great

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Sorry, but this is why the JXD and Archos Gamepad units were designed. The idea of having a tablet, and using a bluetooth or wireless controller alongside it seems to be utter nonsense - you may as well just play them on a laptop, wii, PC, Xbox.

If you want portable emulation, get an Xperia Play, PSP, Archos Gamepad 1/2, JXD console, Dingoo, GP2X etc etc.

Anything else seems like a hassle and novelty.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Not at all. I can't take a wii or Xbox on the train or abroad easily. I can't call people on my laptop. Seems to be a snobbish attitude to people who like gaming on a phone. Much easier for me when I get a few minutes here and there to get some gaming in

Those other devices aren't bad but my phone can do it all. Make calls, surf the web, latest games and emulators. What's the problem?

The dingo and gp2x aren't bad but they can't run new emulators and are pretty old now. Just don't see the issue here. Not everyone can have an xbox setup to do gaming

Lots of people are fine with touchscreen controls. Using a Bluetooth gamepad now and then is also pretty handy

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 am

I think what he means, is when you are playing on a tablet with bluetooth controller, where/how do you balance the tablet whilst trying to play your games!?
I agree that an all in one device is more convenient and less hassle, there is never gonna be an all in one perfect machine that does it all.
I never seen whats wrong with having two gadgets on you to have the best of both worlds, people buy these expensive camera phones, when it would be better to buy a cheaper phone and much better digital camera!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:00 am

How do you balance it? You sit it on your desk. Portable gaming doesn't always mean playing on the bus. Lunchtimes at work can be filled by a game. My tablet is smaller and lighter than my netbookto carry around
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:59 am

psj3809 wrote:Not at all. I can't take a wii or Xbox on the train or abroad easily. I can't call people on my laptop. Seems to be a snobbish attitude to people who like gaming on a phone. Much easier for me when I get a few minutes here and there to get some gaming in

Those other devices aren't bad but my phone can do it all. Make calls, surf the web, latest games and emulators. What's the problem?

The dingo and gp2x aren't bad but they can't run new emulators and are pretty old now. Just don't see the issue here. Not everyone can have an xbox setup to do gaming

Lots of people are fine with touchscreen controls. Using a Bluetooth gamepad now and then is also pretty handy
I understand the portability factor and take your point about the Xbox and Wii, so this is why something like an Xperia Play, PSP or the Android gaming tablets/devices like JXD or Archos Gamepads were designed. They're small, portable, can browse the internet, watch films....AND have physical controls on to get the optimum gaming experience. Yes, the Dingo and GP2X are old, but they're dirt cheap, tiny and play 8 bit and most 16 bit games perfectly. They fit the criteria if you want to play the 80s to early 90s gaming nicely.

I find playing any retro console game on a touch screen to be a massive ball ache and compromise. Its so unresponsive and accuracy is very poor. I can't even begin to imagine what its like to play something like Street Fighter 2 with touch screen controls.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I can't even begin to imagine what its like to play something like Street Fighter 2 with touch screen controls.
Street Fighter IV certainly plays well enough with a touch screen, so I don't see why it couldn't.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:50 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I can't even begin to imagine what its like to play something like Street Fighter 2 with touch screen controls.
Street Fighter IV certainly plays well enough with a touch screen, so I don't see why it couldn't.
I've not tried SFIV on anything other than a control, so can't comment, but if it works ok, then its because they've designed it for such use.

The games we are talking about are from the 80s and 90s....its not Angry Birds.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:07 am

http://buy.thegameklip.com/products/gameklip-casemount
http://buy.thegameklip.com/blogs/news-1 ... er-at-last

This is the way I'm going with the nexus 7. I've also got a xperia play so I'm sorted for mobile emulation. Lovely.

By the way the last emulator I bought from Google was superGness. It's bloody awesome. I only play rpg's on touch screen you seriously need a pad for platformers and fighting, any thing Arcady really.
Scott me up beamie!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:14 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
This is the way I'm going with the nexus 7. I've also got a xperia play so I'm sorted for mobile emulation. Lovely.

By the way the last emulator I bought from Google was superGness. It's bloody awesome. I only play rpg's on touch screen you seriously need a pad for platformers and fighting, any thing Arcady really.
The Xperia Play was the kind of phone I had been dreaming about for years. Its a pity they didn't have much success with it, and continued to release updates. Its now 3 years since the Xperia Play was launched, we're overdue a XP2!

That Gameklip looks hilarious!

Out of interest, how easy is it to pair up a PS3 pad to use on an android device? What do you need to do? I have a few android devices (with stock OS). Is it an app, or do you need to hack the machine and do something with the root etc?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:37 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:you seriously need a stick for platformers and fighting, any thing Arcadey really.
Fixed that for you ;)

I have mixed feelings about touch screen controls. For some games, they work fine. For others, it makes the game unplayable. Very hit and miss, and often down to how its been implemented in emulation. I find thumbsticks that follow my thumb if I lift it work better for me. I do find platformers in particular to be mostly unplayable using touch screen, though there are a couple of exceptions to that, probably because they were designed for it.

Fair enough, point at other solutions, but separate pad works fine for me. Lets not forget that some of the combined solutions are far from perfect too - even as a PSP fan and owner, I'm not going to suggest the controls are great, they're positioned oddly and the dpad is clunky.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:How do you balance it? You sit it on your desk. Portable gaming doesn't always mean playing on the bus. Lunchtimes at work can be filled by a game. My tablet is smaller and lighter than my netbookto carry around
Helpful! What so its flat on the desk? Do you crouch over the screen whilst holding the controller!? Or do you rest it up against a lunchbox and hope it doesnt slide down?
Plus he mentioned about not taking a wii/xbox on a train, well he's taking a tablet/controller combo which was why i was asking how he held up the tablet whilst using a bluetooth controller...