Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 am

Last week I purchased a Google Nexus tablet and played some emulators on it. So far I've tried a version of MAME and a Mega Drive emulator. The games ran great with no slow down. Even the on screen virtual controller isn't too bad.

That was all great untill I purchased a OTG cable and hooked up my wired 360 controller, oh my god! This thing is even more awesome now. My 360 controller is detected no problem, all I needed to do was configure the buttons. I was thinking about one of those handhelds from Funstock, but I'm not going to now.

If anyone is thinking of getting a tablet for a bit of retro gaming, this is the one to get. Also, some of my Android games support the 360 controller too!

psj3809

Re: Nexus 7 tablet is fantastic at emulation!

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 am

Yeah its great how good these tablets are for emulation.

I wasnt expecting my cheap Tesco Hudl tablet to do that much (I got it as i was intrigued by Android and had a few vouchers to use to get money off it), as this ones so cheap (£109 quid or use tesco vouchers which double to take the price down) i wasnt expecting Playstation or PSP or Nintendo DS games to work on those emulators but they were fine. And to think this ones probably not so quick as some of the other tablets out there.

Think its great as i reckon a lot more people will be into emulation (most of the emulators are free) as Android tablets are so popular.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:34 am

I'm loving the Nexus 7, awesome tablet. I've got the otg cable with a splitter for keyboard and mouse. A Ps3 and 360 controller, and usb key. I'm looking at getting the 'Gameklip'. I couldn't be happier. Oh and Scummvm is brilliant, I never completed 'The Dig' going for it now.
Scott me up beamie!

welsbybsam

Post by welsbybsam » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 am

Okay, you guys are making me want to get Nexus 7 as my next tab. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 am

Isn't the Nexus 7 only 7 inch screen? I went for a 10 inch Asus Memopad, all the better to read comics on. At a couple of hundred quid its not the cheapest option, but runs what it does well, has HDMI output for the telly, USB or bluetooth for pads and a microSD card slot for expansion.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Isn't the Nexus 7 only 7 inch screen? I went for a 10 inch Asus Memopad, all the better to read comics on. At a couple of hundred quid its not the cheapest option, but runs what it does well, has HDMI output for the telly, USB or bluetooth for pads and a microSD card slot for expansion.
Your right Ant I did want the Hudl for the err Expandability, is that a word? But now I've got the nexus raw power and everythings running so smoothly I'm very happy. My sons got a 10inch (lol) tab and for media it's fantastic. I've got my Dredd complete case files on there, lovely. But 'in your hand gaming' is much better with the 7".
Scott me up beamie!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:37 am

Good to hear theres another 2000ad Judge Dredd case files fan ! Frickin love these tablets, tons of games, add movies/music, read comics/graphic novels on them. Love the 'cell to cell' movement as well on Comixology/Dark Horse, love reading the Walking Dead on that

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 am

£50 ones work great with emulators as well, if you think about it most of the £50 range ones are the same power as most of these "mame" PCs (512mb, single core)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:34 am

Nexus 7 is teh KING! I love it

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am

DPrinny wrote:£50 ones work great with emulators as well, if you think about it most of the £50 range ones are the same power as most of these "mame" PCs (512mb, single core)
Yeah many of them are really good, like i say i never expected my cheap Hudl one to be able to run PSP/DS/Playstation games with ease. Love it. Just need to sort out an external controller now

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 am

psj3809 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:£50 ones work great with emulators as well, if you think about it most of the £50 range ones are the same power as most of these "mame" PCs (512mb, single core)
Yeah many of them are really good, like i say i never expected my cheap Hudl one to be able to run PSP/DS/Playstation games with ease. Love it. Just need to sort out an external controller now
With my old Archos Cobalt 80 I used a USB to micro USB adapter and used a USB pad/stick on it.

If only those goits would stop making iPad arcade do hickeys and do an android one.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Not quite. Intel CPUs can process many more instructions per cycle than ARM ones at the moment, so even if the clock speeds are the same the overall performance isn't even close.

Still, for the versions of MAME that are getting ported to Android, even a cheap tablet is usually more than adequate.

And it's only a matter of time until there's a usable Dreamcast emulator too.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm

If a tablet is too much or you just want a plug and play device that connects to a TV, you could go with one of those mini Android devices. They go for about £40 on eBay or Amazon. You'll propably need to Root it to make your controller work though. My Nexus didn't need rooting, but to get Xbox controller support on my Galaxy S3 requires root access as far as I know.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 pm

From personal experience i wouldn't buy cheap Android usb sticks, so cheaply made they don't work properly (if at all sometimes)
The Ouya is decent at emulators too and with the great frontend 'nostalgia' meaning you can view boxart and info before loading a game.
But nothing bests the nvidia shield as the best all in one emulation device, bit expensive, but if handheld (or connect to hdmi for tv action) emulation with proper controls is your bag you cant go wrong.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Matt_B wrote: And it's only a matter of time until there's a usable Dreamcast emulator too.
There already is, see Reicast (someone else here put me onto it recently). Only given Ikaruga any serious play on it so far, but seems to run very well.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.