Will the I Pad and I Phone replace consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

Re: Will the I Pad and I Phone replace consoles

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 am

Nemesis wrote:
koopa42 wrote: Apple? Plugs for mugs.
All manner of wrong in that statement.
I think it's a valid and correct statement.

Apple: Here, want to buy some shiny magic beans?
Not a mug: No fear! That's a load of shiny rubbish

*some time passes*

Apple: Here buy some shiny magic beans .... with a Apple logo on!
Newly kilned mug: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY MY NEW MASTERS! OH THE GLORY OF SHINY EXPENSIVE TATT!

*wet sock*

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:29 am

koopa42 wrote:I think it's a valid and correct statement.

*some time passes*

Newly kilned mug: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY MY NEW MASTERS! OH THE GLORY OF SHINY EXPENSIVE TATT!

*wet sock*
I love my Apple devices as they are very good but yeah i wouldnt go out every 6 months/year and sit in some queue just to be able to buy the next device up for a lot of money.

But you can pick up an ipod touch 5th gen very cheap on ebay, i've got an iphone 4s and that runs all the latest games fine, i dont need the latest phone just because it has a fingerprint sensor ! So yeah those Apple fanboys wind me up a bit but on the other hand theres people here who have to have the latest console etc etc.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 am

Nemesis wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:I said Apple products were style over substance and expensive. I can do all I need on my Android tablet that I want and need to do... For a quarter of the cost.

It's always interesting the brand loyality that Apple manage to foster..
You don't get brand loyalty unless it's earnt. Presumably you're the same with your Android tablet. No doubt you'll buy Android again right?

Anyhoo, what I'll say is, yes I like Apple products and yes the ipad is expensive but I feel it's worth it. The product which I think is really overpriced is the iPhone, which frankly you could get a better similarly specced Android phone for less and have more choice to boot.

Whilst I am an Apple fan (there I said it), I am a bigger fan of tech in general. If Apple started producing tech which was a sack of cr@p then you wouldn't see me for dust. As a consumer, my loyalty is to whoever gives me the best experience/product that I can afford. If that's not Apple, then so be it. I'll buy samsung, HTC or whatever make I think will suit me. The isheep/fan droid arguments make me laugh. If you think tribalism is dead, try looking at some tech forums. They make the Speccy/C64 banter look quite mature.
Not at all. My android devices do things for me, allow me to surf the net, run apps. If someone can offer the same for less £, then ill go that way. I have an HTC and iPhone. The one single thing better about the iPhone is the screen.

I don't agree that brand lotality is earnt as such. Apple is very clever at marketing and PR and has positioned itself as a fashion device.

We did some tests at work around tablets some time ago. The ipads battery wise didn't last a full.shift, making them unfit for purpose. Guess what?.ipads were ordered, because people think.they look better.

Unfortunately, I get exposed to a lot of preachings from the church of Apple. Quite why people are so "into" a brand ill never know...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 am

Again its good to pick up second hand iphones as they do a great job, an iphone 4 doesnt run all the latest games that well but anything iphone 4s and above are fine. You can pick up iphone 4s's on ebay for a decent price.

Must admit Android tablets are superb, picked up a dirt cheap one (The Tesco one which was £109, they double clubcard vouchers so i got £40 off) and its a superb device for running games/emulators and many other things.

Like a post above said, just embrace these handheld devices, they wont replace consoles but theyre a great way to do some gaming on the go. Having MAME/Vectrex and others with me at all times means i'm never bored the second i'm on a train, at my parents while they watch antiques roadshow etc !

But i love handheld devices, the Gameboy blew me away when that came out. I then had a Pocket PC in later years which you could say was a bit like an early ipod touch, touch screen, tons of games/emulators on it. Had a GP32 and GP2X which were great devices for emulation, now Android/ios are just amazing handheld devices. But theyre handheld devices, they wont replace consoles.

Again i think its a great time for gaming, gamings huge (We always hear how much more money is spent on gaming than Hollywood films proving its massive), handheld gaming is huge as well. Great time for gaming (and lots of old classics are republished for these new devices)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 am

koopa42 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
koopa42 wrote: Apple? Plugs for mugs.
All manner of wrong in that statement.
I think it's a valid and correct statement.

*some time passes*

*wet sock*
Everytime I see a comment like this I think it's someone who's a bit insecure about their purchasing decision so they have to bash somebody elses to make themselves feel better. I'll go put my wet sock in the washine machine now.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:22 am

Nemesis wrote:Everytime I see a comment like this I think it's someone who's a bit insecure about their purchasing decision so they have to bash somebody elses to make themselves feel better. I'll go put my wet sock in the washine machine now.
Every time I see an Apple 'fan' I smile, and that has been the case since before I even knew what android was.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:33 am

slacey1070 wrote: I don't agree that brand lotality is earnt as such. Apple is very clever at marketing and PR and has positioned itself as a fashion device.

We did some tests at work around tablets some time ago. The ipads battery wise didn't last a full.shift, making them unfit for purpose. Guess what?.ipads were ordered, because people think.they look better.

Unfortunately, I get exposed to a lot of preachings from the church of Apple. Quite why people are so "into" a brand ill never know...
So you think that brand loyalty isn't earnt eh? So what about those people who buy one Nintendo console then buy the next one. Or a 360 to the Xbone or PS3 to PS4. That brand loyalty has been earnt in their eyes, the evidence is all over this forum. Otherwise, Forums would be a place of peace & tranquility. :lol:

I don't understand this assertion that somehow people have been brainwashed to like Apple products. Just because they're at the premium end of the market, it seems that there's this belief. I liked Apple products long before the Iphone & ipad existed (circa 2004) so it's always been my choice. If there was something better I would get that instead.

As for battery life, what were you guys doing with your ipads? Mine lasts for hours.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:35 am

koopa42 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Everytime I see a comment like this I think it's someone who's a bit insecure about their purchasing decision so they have to bash somebody elses to make themselves feel better. I'll go put my wet sock in the washine machine now.
Every time I see an Apple 'fan' I smile, and that has been the case since before I even knew what android was.
Glad it makes you smile, I must be doing something right then! :mrgreen:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 am

psj3809 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Applehipsters (cant call them fags anymore as some straight people are offended by the term) can go bugger off
Why can they 'go bugger off' ? And considering your sexuality which you opened up about i'm surprised you even mention that word.
Because I wanted to.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 am

Wow this turned into an Android verses Apple forum, how childish...

...Android wins!!!
Scott me up beamie!

Evander

Post by Evander » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 am

As an iPhone 4S / iPad 2 owner I think I'll be changing over to Android this year (I've already picked up a new Nexus 7 tablet which is pucker).

As for phone / tablet games I really don't see them as much more than novelty value. You get what you pay for as they say.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:25 am

Evander wrote:As an iPhone 4S / iPad 2 owner I think I'll be changing over to Android this year (I've already picked up a new Nexus 7 tablet which is pucker).

As for phone / tablet games I really don't see them as much more than novelty value. You get what you pay for as they say.
B-but Squaresoft games tend to cost upwards of £20 and they tend to be nothing more than rubbish remakes with loads of in game purchase bull crud

Evander

Post by Evander » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 am

An example of what I'm saying is, Virtua Tennis on the iPad is certainly worth no more than £2.99, while I was more than happy to pay £7 for the Vita version.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Nemesis wrote:
slacey1070 wrote: I don't agree that brand lotality is earnt as such. Apple is very clever at marketing and PR and has positioned itself as a fashion device.

So you think that brand loyalty isn't earnt eh? So what about those people who buy one Nintendo console then buy the next one. Or a 360 to the Xbone or PS3 to PS4. That brand loyalty has been earnt in their eyes, the evidence is all over this forum. Otherwise, Forums would be a place of peace & tranquility. :lol:

I don't understand this assertion that somehow people have been brainwashed to like Apple products. Just because they're at the premium end of the market, it seems that there's this belief. I liked Apple products long before the Iphone & ipad existed (circa 2004) so it's always been my choice. If there was something better I would get that instead.

As for battery life, what were you guys doing with your ipads? Mine lasts for hours.
Well, I'm probably not the right person to talk about brand loyalty, as I have very little! I buy what I think is the best value for money for my needs, my last four console purchases have been Sony, Nintendo, Nintendo, MS, my last two cars were Vauxhall, Ford, last two phones, Nokia, HTC. I suppose I don't understand brand loyalty. Apple isn't the best (in my opinion). I was given money from the missus to get an ipad for my birthday in August. I still haven't... and now she has a hudl, I'm not sure I need one.

Apple have been very clever in their marketing, they've sold on "belief", sold on style, a product idea taken from someone else and wrapped in a pretty wrapper. Its a very effective way of marketing - who else releases a slight revision every year and has people standing in line to buy it? and asking £25 for a charger.

Its a great model. Its also a limited life model - but then aren't they all?

The ipads were for healthcare. This was some time ago and maybe the battery life is better now, however they wouldn't last a shift. Yet, because they look nice, they were the choice.

And don't get me started on information security and "encryption at rest" - which more than likely fails a privacy impact assessment.

The one Apply product I do like is the ipod - because of the storage capacity of the classic. Wouldn't be without it.

What I do find odd, is if you try and discuss rationally with someone very into Apple the pros and cons of the ipad, they always get very emotional about it - not on here necessarily, but discussions with colleagues over coffee, etc. That brand loyalty is very very strong.....

In fact, discussing Apple at work has joined religion and polities on the banned list!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm

slacey1070 wrote: Apple have been very clever in their marketing, they've sold on "belief", sold on style, a product idea taken from someone else and wrapped in a pretty wrapper. Its a very effective way of marketing - who else releases a slight revision every year and has people standing in line to buy it? and asking £25 for a charger.

Its a great model. Its also a limited life model - but then aren't they all?

The ipads were for healthcare. This was some time ago and maybe the battery life is better now, however they wouldn't last a shift. Yet, because they look nice, they were the choice.

And don't get me started on information security and "encryption at rest" - which more than likely fails a privacy impact assessment.

The one Apply product I do like is the ipod - because of the storage capacity of the classic. Wouldn't be without it.

What I do find odd, is if you try and discuss rationally with someone very into Apple the pros and cons of the ipad, they always get very emotional about it - not on here necessarily, but discussions with colleagues over coffee, etc. That brand loyalty is very very strong.....

In fact, discussing Apple at work has joined religion and polities on the banned list!
Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not having a dig at any bodies purchasing decision or your own. Whilst I am a fan of their products there are some things that I don't like which as an Apple user you get shafted for. Memory capacity for one thing. Going from a 16g Air to 32g is another cool £80 on top. An article I read recently has already said that both Apple & Google over charge for extra memory on their devices with Apple being the worst culprit.

As for getting emotional over iPads, it happens with other devices too. Apple vs Android is a constant battlefield on tech sites and the like.

Still, going back to the question at hand, Apple CEO Tim Cook, has been talking about "exciting products" for 2014 and one product that hasn't been mentioned in a while is Apple TV. Basically, their version of a smart TV. I recall a thread a while back suggesting you could have games on the TV but playing games via your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, using them as controllers. Now, we have controller support for iOS 7, I wonder this could be a feature of Apple TV