Will the I Pad and I Phone replace consoles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Will the I Pad and I Phone replace consoles

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Basically these are the new Wii, everybody owns them and non gamers play Angry Birds, Bejeweled and stuff like that on them.. Can they complete or even overtake the big N, Sony and Nintendo.. What with free to 69p games or they even a threat to the consoles?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

crusto

Re: Will the I Pad and I Phone replace consoles

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Not in a million years, for me anyway!

There's definitely a market for them, but touch screens that are only ”so” big can only do so much imo. You just can't beat a proper console, even in terms of handhelds. I even chose broken sword on the DS rather than iOS. I love my ipad,I'm posting this message with it now. But it will never replace my consoles/PC as my primary gaming device.

Eat your nans pants

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Touch screen gaming has its place, but it can't replicate the accuracy of physical controls. The games on tablets and smart phones can be decent, and they've created a new market, but consoles will be here for a while yet.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Short answer yes with an and, long answer no with a but...

Basically, I can envisage a future where pretty much everything (including videogames) is played using a set-top box wired to your TV which talks to a tablet. BUT - the quality of tablet/phone games just aren't anywhere near enough to compete with console games yet and there's the issue of how the controls will work. Many people (myself included) just don't find touchscreen controls very good.

It's all well and good pointing to the fact that tablet games cost a few pennies, or are free, but a. the vast majority are crap and b. the micropayment systems that support the low initial payment are really not popular with a large section of the gaming public. The fact is I - and most people - would get more fun out of spending £50 on one game like Mario, Halo or Uncharted than a hundred iOS or Android games.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:05 pm

No. Touch screen gaming is awful unless its something like Angry Birds or Bejeweled. Fine for casual games, crap for proper games.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 am

NAR M8!!
The Laird wrote:No. Touch screen gaming is awful unless its something like Angry Birds or Bejeweled. Fine for casual games, crap for proper games.
I wouldn't say that, theres some good games on Android, they know there market and that is on the go gaming, in saying that a few games I have enjoyed more than a lot of big budget realeses

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:26 am

The Laird wrote:No. Touch screen gaming is awful unless its something like Angry Birds or Bejeweled. Fine for casual games, crap for proper games.
I would've said that a few years back but the Asphalt series has surpassed Ridge Racer for me and that other racing games are equally as good. I've found twin stick gaming to be almost second nature now. Going back to Geometry Wars on a pad felt a little alien and a bit backwards IMO.

In reply to the OP, I don't think that the touchscreen devices will replace traditional gaming consoles as they're different markets. Until Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo start selling games for 69p or the iTunes Store sells games for £50 approx, I can't see it happening. Until Apple gets serious about controller support I can't see it happening at all.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 am

The devices we have today won't replace consoles, but other hardware coming will imo sell alot more than the current consoles we have today, Android/ios set-top boxes with controllers are the way it will head in the next couple of years, sure the Ouya hasn't made a headway but thats only because it was a small start up company, wait until Amazon, Google and Apple release one and watch the tidal wave off next gen cheap console gaming take off....its coming guys, the future of £55-£60 games will be over in a few years.,.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 am

No, but they will replace handheld consoles.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 am

No, not a chance, not for me anyway, most of the games are throwaway, of the 100's of games I have downloaded (and deleted) on ios, literally only a handful have had more than 20 minutes use.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 am

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 am

Nope, not even close.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 am

gman72 wrote:
This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.
Have you tried playing something like Rymdkapsel, Frozen Synapse or Anomaly 2 on a touch screen device?

They're all deep strategy games, and I think they play quite brilliantly. Rymdkapsel is perhaps a touch on the short side, as there are only three missions, but it's no pushover while it lasts. The other two have long campaigns that should keep you busy for a good while.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 am

iPad and iPhone wont,

Android devices might...............

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 am

DPrinny wrote:iPad and iPhone wont,

Android devices might...............
This - larger market share and lower prices.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.