$1.2 billion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: $1.2 billion

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:22 am

psj3809 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Mootown wrote:If I ever only have the choice of playing the next 3D Mario game with touchscreen controls I will kill myself.
This why Nintendo make their own hardware, so they can dictate the gameplay experience of their games, rather than being constricted by an industry standard, in this case touchschreen only.

If Nintendo tried to force the kinds of games they've been accustomed to making on the 3DS onto just a touchscreen, they'd probably wouldn't play as well, some might well be virtually unplayable as a result, and so with Nintendo games either becoming dumbed down or playing sub-standardly, people would then just moan that Nintendo didn't make make games like they used to.
So a touch screen is bad, yet holding a steering wheel in the air with Mario Kart on the Wii was fine ?
It also allowed you to use the remote as a standard controller + a gamcube controller or classic controller.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 am

If I ever only have the choice of playing games on a mobile phone I will kill myself.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:08 am

kelp7 wrote:If I ever only have the choice of playing games on a mobile phone I will kill myself.
Yep as playing games on mobile phones is so uncommon !

But seriously its never going to happen where its mobile only, just can imagine future games possibly being sold on different platforms. Some of the 'anger' towards mobile phone gaming is getting a bit embarassing

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 am

psj3809 wrote:
kelp7 wrote:If I ever only have the choice of playing games on a mobile phone I will kill myself.
Yep as playing games on mobile phones is so uncommon !

But seriously its never going to happen where its mobile only, just can imagine future games possibly being sold on different platforms. Some of the 'anger' towards mobile phone gaming is getting a bit embarassing
I play games on my phone everyday, the Xperia play Ps1 phone. My PRECIOUS!!!!
Scott me up beamie!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 am

LOL theres a gamer!
Mootown wrote:If I ever only have the choice of playing the next 3D Mario game with touchscreen controls I will kill myself.
Scott me up beamie!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 am

Just to put it into context, I'm only talking about not wanting to play a new 3D Mario game on a touchscreen. Not once did I say 'all touchscreen games are rubbish' or 'I think all Nintendo waggle controls are ace!" or in fact, anything else, other than I don't want to play a new 3D Mario game on a touchscreen. Which I don't.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 am

I'm sure that wouldnt happen though, new Mario games will surely just stay Nintendo only (and not touch screen), i think a lot of the stuff on this thread is just talking about old old Mario games being sold to other markets.

I cant imagine Nintendo going touch only

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 am

nintendo are in trouble, the best thing they can do now
is make rash decisions based on very little evidence that
it'll do any good. Throw an experienced coleauge who has had
a major hand in the companies many victories to the wolves.
And if they can censored all their franchises out to sub par
platforms to make a quick buck, completly destroying their
own reputation and that of the franchises... Meanwhile turning their
back on the 50 million loyal customers who own their current platforms
I think that will just about do it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

sirpigmeat wrote:nintendo are in trouble, the best thing they can do now

Yes, well according to this thread thats what most people would do. Wonder why none of them run big games companies :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Well what should we do ? Get rid of the forum as theres no point discussing these things ? Get rid of any sports threads as we're not managers or athletes so we dont have experience ? And so on.

Its just a discussion thread, obviously people will agree, some wont, if we all said 'great job Nintendo' that would be the end of the thread. In the football thread if we all said 'every managers doing a great job' then thats the end of that thread.

Just peoples different views, some are stronger than others, some 100% believe their view and no one elses etc. Its all harmless and just generates a decent chat

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 pm

50million loyal customer, of which only 3million have bought into their latest console.

Nintendo do have a problem, you don't miss your projections by the margin they have, if all is well.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:22 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well what should we do ? Get rid of the forum as theres no point discussing these things ? Get rid of any sports threads as we're not managers or athletes so we dont have experience ? And so on.

Its just a discussion thread, obviously people will agree, some wont, if we all said 'great job Nintendo' that would be the end of the thread. In the football thread if we all said 'every managers doing a great job' then thats the end of that thread.

Just peoples different views, some are stronger than others, some 100% believe their view and no one elses etc. Its all harmless and just generates a decent chat
Yeah I know, I was just a bit bored and this seemed quite a funny comeback to me :D

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

slacey1070 wrote:50million loyal customer, of which only 3million have bought into their latest console.

Nintendo do have a problem, you don't miss your projections by the margin they have, if all is well.
Well, it certainly suggests that there's a problem with the Wii U. However, with the continuing success of the 3DS, I'd think that we can say that it's the product that needs fixing rather than the company.

More games, price cuts, better marketing, and that elusive killer app are what they need; there's certainly no indication that they should be chucking out the golden goose of platform exclusivity just yet.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
50million loyal customer, of which only 3million have bought into their latest console.

I got the stat from adding together vgz's 3ds and wiiU sales(5.5million actualy :P )... 50 million (rounded up) ...
I think it stands as a comment as turning over the franchises to mobile phones would mainly effect 3ds owners
rather than wiiU owners... The games being more likely to be of the handheld variant.
But yeah maybe loyals the wrong word, I only bought a wiiU recently because it had some games I wanted and
I'd turn my back on them instantly if they started to suck... I meant more that these buyers expect certain unspoken
covenants to be kept by nintendo... I bought the damn thing you have to make games for it, financial crisis or not! :D

And yes of course theirs a problem.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

the wii u interests me, as I said elsewhere, its a great collectors machine.

I've gone from being indifferent to Nintendo, to really enjoying their products in a year... thanks to a surprise 3ds gift from the other half.

A colleague suggested going more "adult" and "gritty" - but surely that blows their USP out of the water and makes there as dull as Sony and MS have become.

Who wants a third machine with identical products?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.