$1.2 billion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

$1.2 billion

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

wiped off nintendo as shares slump and wiiu problems continue.......

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ninten ... 25453.html

a "new management strategy" on Jan 30th apparently, interesting times for the beleaguered nintendo.

The Laird

Re: $1.2 billion

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

Blimey! That is a lot of money! :shock:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 am

I said the WiiU was a bad idea from the get go.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 am

its not looking good, an official profit warning and at one point the shares had collapsed a staggering 18%!!

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/busi ... 71380.html

the huge casual market they had with the wii have fcuked off to the smart phones and apple devices and the wiiu looks to have zero appeal for most gamers, they certainly have a lot of work to do.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am

Be fascinating to see how they do. Whenever these stories appear the Nintendo fans go on about how much money Nintendo actually have, so its not like they'll go bankrupt but either way theyre in a bad position, share price dropping, the Wii U looked terrible and didnt sell that well.

Again the top man said they wont simply sell their classic games on iOS (Damn ! ;) but they need to do something decent for the shareholders etc. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy but they're obviously a classic company who i hope gets back to doing well.

Be interesting to see what they do to bounce back

Their shares did drop 18% but bounced back to 'just' be down 6%

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 am

It's all monopoly money anyway. Presumably when Sony's results come in and they are just as bad we can all call for them to go third party or for Samsung to buy them out.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 am

psj3809 wrote:Be fascinating to see how they do. Whenever these stories appear the Nintendo fans go on about how much money Nintendo actually have, so its not like they'll go bankrupt but either way theyre in a bad position, share price dropping, the Wii U looked terrible and didnt sell that well.

Again the top man said they wont simply sell their classic games on iOS (Damn ! ;) but they need to do something decent for the shareholders etc. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy but they're obviously a classic company who i hope gets back to doing well.

Be interesting to see what they do to bounce back

Their shares did drop 18% but bounced back to 'just' be down 6%
They have some great IPs but don want them on other platforms. Thats fine but there are other options. Lego seem to licence everything now, I am pretty sure Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc lego sets would be a good money maker. They could even get a Wiiu exclusive lego game featuring all the nintendo characters.

Couple of best of collections - every Zelda or mario game in one package remastered in HD for the Wii. ( I for one would be all over a Mario collection with HD mario 64 )

A proper Console Pokemon game - this ( despite what you may think of the series ) would shift units and would be a system seller for a lot of people.

A DS/3DS adaptor. Nintendo have done the handheld adaptors for Snes, and Gamecube. Why not do it for Wiiu. Top screen on the TV, Wiiupad for the bottom touchscreen.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It's all monopoly money anyway. Presumably when Sony's results come in and they are just as bad we can all call for them to go third party or for Samsung to buy them out.
Yep, at the end of the day it's not as if Sony or Microsoft are selling more consoles than Nintendo, or anything quite so radical as that.

Nintendo will release their games on other platforms when:

1. Hell freezes over, and I'm not talking about that town in Michigan.
2. They've got no viable platforms left. Whether the Wii U is viable or not is perhaps a matter of debate, but the 3DS certainly is and that's got a good few years left in it yet.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It's all monopoly money anyway. Presumably when Sony's results come in and they are just as bad we can all call for them to go third party or for Samsung to buy them out.
nonsense, if that were the case people wouldn't lose their jobs and companies wouldn't go under, we would still have sega and atari making machines, its a very real problem and if nintendo don't sort themselves out they will slide into the mire, no question about that.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:47 am

I read shares were up 11 percent when China lifted their ban... now their down %6 (this is the closing figure)... I don't know anything about the stock market but it doesn't seem that bad... It seems worse because nintendo never lose money... But other companies seem to constantly operate at a loss... makes you wonder how the hell they stay afloat.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 am

sirpigmeat wrote:I read shares were up 11 percent when China lifted their ban... now their down %6 (this is the closing figure)... I don't know anything about the stock market but it doesn't seem that bad... It seems worse because nintendo never lose money... But other companies seem to constantly operate at a loss... makes you wonder how the hell they stay afloat.
its not catastrophic, and nobody is suggesting they are on the verge of ceasing trading, but even the most addled of nintendo fanboys would have to admit they are in a bit of a pickle with the their performance and in particular with the wii u, they don't seem to have any plan for it and its hard to see how they will turn it around.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:57 am

Dont agree with that, granted Nintendo have a ton of money in the bank so its not like they'll go bankrupt, but either way if they carry on like this, not making a profit, losing money then the shareholders etc wont be happy and eventually it'll go wrong.

I hope they rebound, never liked the look of the Wii U at all (i know i know its about the games).

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

Nintendo need a change of managment at the very top level, the old guys stuck in their ways need to go as their ideas and stratagy isn't working at all. Im not saying they need to stop being Nintendo, they just need to come up to speed somewhat and stop farting about. Oh and a total change in the marketing department wouldn't go amis either, and whats more get rid of the people who thought calling their next system the 'WiiU' was a good idea.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
nonsense, if that were the case people wouldn't lose their jobs and companies wouldn't go under, we would still have sega and atari making machines, its a very real problem and if nintendo don't sort themselves out they will slide into the mire, no question about that.
On the news of their biggest (and first) loss in many many years, their share price is down 6%. They've still got billions in the bank, some of the most recognizable IP's on the planet and the best selling console. I don't see their management panicking just yet. They just need to increase their output, and actually tell people what it is- if you checked the upcoming releases for the Wii U with Nintendo you'd think there was only 11 games coming out for it this year.

Industry analysts do seem to want to pitch this as Sony vs. Microsoft vs. Nintendo, like there must be a winner and a loser. I don't think Nintendo see it that way.

As for the Sega and Atari comparison, Sega had multiple over-priced, under selling machines from the Mega-Cd to the Dreamcast and was making losses year on year. Atari's decline is a whole different can of worms. Nintendo are a very long way from either company.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:03 pm

1.2 billion? there's more than that down the back of Microsoft's couch in the canteen