N64 Vs Sega Saturn

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrosofer

N64 Vs Sega Saturn

Post by retrosofer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Why this thread? Well after reading the Saturn Vs PS thread i got thinking about the N64 and how that compaired with the Saturn, and after a while it just seemed like these two consoles were more evenly matched. Yes the N64 sold more, but that aside, in terms of games, third party support, and general output both seem to come out swinging just as much as the other.

outdated_gamer

Re: N64 Vs Sega Saturn

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:03 pm

My thoughts? They were two completely different systems. :wink:

I think the Saturn was more of a match for the PS, tbh. N64 was more of a (3D) platformer/FPS/cute racing games type of console (with some 3rd party games like the Star Wars games), Saturn more of an Arcade-style and 2D style games for home type of system.

But that's just my subjective view.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:11 pm

N64 is the weakest system of the three imo. Its PS1, followed at a great distance by the Saturn, then N64 tagging along behind. Too many devs stretched textures and ruined otherwise decent games by making my eyes hurt. Those few like Rare that relied more on shading than texturing fared better. There's still not much I'd want to play on N64 though. At least the Saturn has some decent 2D games to differentiate it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:49 pm

this order 1) Saturn - 2)n64 - 3)psone

because of the games.

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:22 pm

I was a SEGA guy until the Saturn. I jumped to the N64 (and, eventually, Nintendo gaming) as I just wasn't impressed by the Saturn at all. It's fine as a retro console with arcadey racing games at a couple of quid, but those were games designed for a fifteen minute blast - not for sustained gameplay over the course of weeks and months. Outwith of those ported games designed purely to take 50p off of you every few minutes in the arcade, I felt that the Saturn had almost nothing going for it. Why people bum the Saturn so hard is a mystery to me, if I'm being honest.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:25 pm

HEAVYface wrote:this order 1) Saturn - 2)n64 - 3)psone

because of the games.
good grief!

1 PS1
2 n64
3 Saturn

because of the games

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Saturn wins easy for me, so many triple A games. Followed by the PS1 and then the N64, easily my least favourite Nintendo console.

shakeyournoggin

Post by shakeyournoggin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:35 pm

I think if you take into account the Sega Saturn's Japanese games it proves to be a real contender as there was so much more variety and they had a ton of quality games which are worth checking out. The western market however, was pretty much abandoned leaving the N64 with enough of the market share to compete with the Playstation.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:08 pm

I think the N64 is superior to the Sega Saturn. I think from a technical perspective they had different strengths, but if we go by library alone, the N64 has some of the greatest games ever made (and Superman), where as Saturn has a few decent arcade games, but lacking in much depth and real AAA titles.

When discussing the best videogames of all time, the Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Mario 64 are always right up there. Can the same be said for the Saturn?

The Playstation 1, as an overall package, provides the most all around gaming experience though from that generation, and is the best console.

PS1
N64
SATURN

I think its a great generation though, and love all three. I think the Saturn is more of a "cult" hit, and people like it for "emotional" reasons rather than thinking logically and looking at the games librarys objectively.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:N64 is the weakest system of the three imo. Its PS1, followed at a great distance by the Saturn, then N64 tagging along behind. Too many devs stretched textures and ruined otherwise decent games by making my eyes hurt. Those few like Rare that relied more on shading than texturing fared better. There's still not much I'd want to play on N64 though. At least the Saturn has some decent 2D games to differentiate it.
I'd have to agree. Both were too expensive at launch, underestimated the appeal of the Playstation, relied on the power of their own franchises and an established medium (2d and cartridges respectively), and suffered a blow from which they never fully recovered

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Unlike this gens consoles both the N64 and Saturn had loads of exclusive that made them worth owning in they're own right.. Then again I think the price of cartridges hurt NIntendo, as did losing Squaresoft and Final Fantasy to Sony as a lot of Nintendo fans moved over to Sony.. Also the small storage medium of cartridges when FMV was all the rage.. Horrible controller and the N64 screen always gave me a headache

1) Japanese Saturn
2) PS1
3) N64

PS1 has aged really badly especially it's 3d games most of the PS1's best games have had superior versions released on other Consoles such as the Resident Evil and Dino Crisis games getting superior versions on both the Gamecube and Dreamcast.. All the 2d fighters where miles better on the Saturn, Capcom even said the PS1 couldn't do its Street Fighter games

I still own a few PS1 games I still play and would never part with Rapid Reload, Legend of Kartia, Lunar Silver star and Koudelka.. Final Fantasy has aged graphically and the later games where not much cop, and most 3d platform games are unplayable.. Can't think of any Killer Apps on the PS1 as everything has been re-imagined with superior versions on other consoles. Tomb Raider remake, Resi remakes, Wipeout remakes etc.. Jaguer got the best version of Doom, 3DO best version of D etc.

But then the PS1 had the Sudikon and Vandal Hearts games, Parasite Eve, Rapid Reload, Kouldeka and Captain Commando all brilliant but super expensive

To me I'd say Parasite Eve 1 still looks brilliant

Saturn 2d games still looks good has some brilliant arcade conversions and original games

N64 my least favourite console horrible controller and very games that appealed to me, and like the PS1 superior versions have been released on the Cube and 3dS such as Zelda and Starfox
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:21 pm

I bought the PS1 while my bro bought the Saturn. I moved to N64 after the PS1 burnt out, to try some of the fab games I'd heard about.

Upshot of which is IMO all three systems have their quality games, and advantages. My personal preference was PS1 overall, so just many great games/fanatastic memories on it. Certainly enjoyed my gaming on the other two though, But Silent Hill, Resident evil !,2&3, Tomb Raider 1&2, Destruction Derby 2, FF7, Ultimate Doom are the ones that first come to mind in a mountain of quality titles that make me go straight to PS1.
Not a bad update of Sentinal on it either! As well as Retro compilations and so on.

I'm sure others prefer the other systems though, for the games they can rattle off! Each to their own :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Aren't most of the best Saturn games either remade and enhanced on other hardware now though? I mean, Virtua Fighter 2 you can play an arcade perfect version now on XBOX Live and PSN....Sega Rally is arguably better on PC, PS2 had a version in Japan, and the sequel Sega Rally 2 was superior anyway. Quake is infinitely better on other systems, and many apply.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:N64 is the weakest system of the three imo. Its PS1, followed at a great distance by the Saturn, then N64 tagging along behind. Too many devs stretched textures and ruined otherwise decent games by making my eyes hurt. Those few like Rare that relied more on shading than texturing fared better.
I don't really get why people have a beef with "blurry" N64 textures. Atleast the N64 had filtered texutres. Unlike the Saturn and PS which had only raw, pixelated ones. :wink:

N64 could also do stuff like perspective correction (i.e. Z-buffering) and anti-aliasing with ease while the other systems stuggled at it. If we go by pure tech specs, then the N64 was the strongest console in it's gen. It just had bad development tools, some hardware bottlenecks (i.e. 4kb texture cache - split in half if mip-mapping was used) and, of course, it used cartridges which were tight and expensive compared to CDs (they had instant loading times though).

If you want to see what N64 can do then you need to take a look at some of it's later generation games like World Driver Championship, Indiana Jones, Rush 2049 and, of course, Rare's games.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Here's how I see it.

One could make the case that the N64 was a bold statement of Nintendo's intent.

The decision to use continue using cartridges was a bold-faced move, in an era when everybody was "going CD" and being seduced by flash computer generated FMV gubbins.

But what it was really doing was, the Big N making a statement:
"We will not 'follow the crowd'. Nintendo will always do things differently to its competitors."

So, Nintendo seemed to be saying to the consumers, if you want a genuine alternative to the increasingly similar specs of the two other rival consoles, then Nintendo were saying they were the ones for you to go to. And you could argue that remains their marketing plan even today. They've carved out their little niche in the gaming zone and are happy to exist within it... because nobody else in the console market does quite what they do, as well as they do it.

I'm not saying it's always WORKED for them, mind. Cartridges were a major problem for the N64, as they turned away third party developers in droves, and both the Gamecube and the WiiU have faced similar (but unrelated) problems.

But the innovation of Nintendo -- or should I say, the iconoclasm of Nintendo? -- is very plain to see. And I feel that began with the N64. There's a through-line running from the N64 right through to the WiiU.