Dark Souls 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kilb

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by Kilb » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:53 am

Are all you players submitting replies robots and/or gaming athletes or am I really bad at playing games?
I'm slowly working my way through Forest of the Fallen Giants. I increased my DEX so I could use a winged spear, only to have it break on me after a few strikes :(
I killed the Turtle Guard and luckily he dropped the armour, so now I look like an armoured turtle with a large leather shield and a broken spear.
Is it a much more difficult/slower game when you don't play online? Or is it because I am clearing out the respawns of each area before I progress?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:39 am

I have now joined the rat clan, servant of the rat king, beware all ye who trespass :)

Has anyone turned the statues human yet and where are all the titanite shards?

Kilb, you need to check the durability of weapons, always carry more than one, unless they are equipped they don't count to your weight limit. Use the blacksmith to level up a few weapons and armour (you buy the key from the old hag in the giants forest next to the second bonfire to unlock the blacksmith in the hub town). Once you unlock the blacksmith you might want to check down the sewers from the tower in the hub town, it will lead you to no-mans wharf, might level up a bit more there and it will at least break the repetition. Also if you're using spears concentrate on your stamina early on rather than health.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 am

Kilb wrote:Are all you players submitting replies robots and/or gaming athletes or am I really bad at playing games?
I'm slowly working my way through Forest of the Fallen Giants. I increased my DEX so I could use a winged spear, only to have it break on me after a few strikes :(
I killed the Turtle Guard and luckily he dropped the armour, so now I look like an armoured turtle with a large leather shield and a broken spear.
Is it a much more difficult/slower game when you don't play online? Or is it because I am clearing out the respawns of each area before I progress?
:wink: Personally was on 3rd play-through of Demon's Souls, ditto for original Dark Souls, before i started on DS II, so something of a 'seasoned' souls player.

Fighters advice is very sound, i like to get up close and personal, so The Axe Man Cometh in my case, so stamina is key for myself also, other wise after 3 swings, i'm knackered and left wide-open.Build your stamina up, upgrade your spear and just go in nice and slow, shield up, keep stabbing away at foes.

Depends on your style of play, but don't think heaviest armour=the best, espically if your load limit is'nt that high.You'll often see otherplayers fighting practically naked, but this gives them the essential speed to get in, attack and roll out of harms way.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 am

Lost Dragon wrote:
Trixta wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:4 bosses down now, done Ghost Ship area as well (very atmospheric) got F**KED OVER, Royally by a trap (chest) opened it, booby trap killed me stone dea (kissed good-bye to 20,000 souls to boot), fought my way back, died numerous times getting there, now the merchant who was there (and i could sell stuff to) gone!.WTF??????????
huh you could sell stuff to him? This is news to me. Most npcs that sell either stay out or relocate back to the hub town.

Have just entered the dragon mountain which I believe is a zone or 2 away from the end of the game. Nothing that was very hard, toughest bosses imo are in the iron keep.

Also to get invaded you have to be in human form, only had 4 invades myself through the 25 hours Ive put in.
He's been the only NPC so far i could sell to, now he's buggered 'orf!.Typical.

What sort of level do you need to use magic etc? i have various spells etc, but say's i've not enough slots.

Been alt.between helping others and trying (and failing) to take down those 3 sentinels in the boss arena.Best i can do, even with 2 fellow fighters is take down 1st easy enough, start on 2nd, weapon breaks! then other joins in, wipes floor with all 3 of us.

Not used any of boss souls yet, not found any embers either, guess that other blacksmith needs 1 before he's of any use.

Big well in center of hub town-you been down it?
To equip spells you need to put points in to attunement, you can unlock the first slot at 10 points. After that its every 3-4 points per slot. You also need to have the required int and faith to equip the weapons to cast the spells.

If your talking about the tall bosses with the long spears, that was one of the hardest fights for me. took 10-15 times before I killed them with 2 other people.

@fightermegamix
you need these special tree branches to turn the people back to normal from stone. You will get the first when you kill the boss (I wont say his name to avoid spoilers) and unlock the first primal bonfire.

@kilb
My best advice is use your white soap stone sign. It will allow you to help other players out, gain some souls and if you die you get returned to your world with the souls you gained. If you are struggling with bosses, I always use a human effigy in front a boss door and summon in 2 players.

Also there is a sword that has extra fire damage that you can get very early in the game. I wont post it here but search "Dark Souls 2: Early Game/Beginner (slightly overpowered)" on you tube if you are interested.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... 2-graphics

:wink: 1 for our 'Graphics Tarts' friends...yes Crusto, i mean you...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Trixta, I thought it might be something I might miss or an extra but if the statues are unlocked after a boss I'll just keep playing. Not sure what the complaints are about graphics, I love the way it looks :)

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Just finished the game, its a shame that most areas you can just run through to get to the bosses. Last boss was nothing special, but was and "optional boss" (wont give the name to avoid spoilers) that would just 1 shot me, gave up on it in the end. Gonna play new game+ and try and get some decent gear as what im using is crap, not sure how far ill get with msg5 and infamous out on friday.

The well in the center of town leads to the grave of the saints area.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... 2-graphics

:wink: 1 for our 'Graphics Tarts' friends...yes Crusto, i mean you...
How very dare you!

Been playing a bit over the last couple of nights and I haven't got near a boss yet. I am too busy slogging my way through forest of giants, getting killed a lot (mob attacks) and levelling up slowly but surely, buying new armour etc. What's the benefit of torches? Can you light the unlit stands with them if you manage to reach one without carking it? I haven't had much opportunity to summon anybody either, 2 opportunities in fact and both failed :? .

Loving the game though, as tough and mysterious as I was expecting at present. Can't wait for the weekend.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I have now joined the rat clan, servant of the rat king, beware all ye who trespass :)

Has anyone turned the statues human yet and where are all the titanite shards?

Kilb, you need to check the durability of weapons, always carry more than one, unless they are equipped they don't count to your weight limit. Use the blacksmith to level up a few weapons and armour (you buy the key from the old hag in the giants forest next to the second bonfire to unlock the blacksmith in the hub town). Once you unlock the blacksmith you might want to check down the sewers from the tower in the hub town, it will lead you to no-mans wharf, might level up a bit more there and it will at least break the repetition. Also if you're using spears concentrate on your stamina early on rather than health.
Sewers? Tower? I'll have to look more closely, I thought I had checked the place out thoroughly...unless you want to point me in the right direction :)

Eat your nans pants

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Hit a brick wall as far as progressing to new areas go-until i take down those 3 fecking sentinels...but did discover new NPC, gave me a certain key, unlocked certain door.so mainly been assisting other players, which is nice.

Re:Torches-i've lit all that can be lit in all the areas i've visted, other than nice lighting, not seen it 'do' 'owt...also got in the coffin on the shore guarded by the cyclops Hippo's and..reappeared where i started.WTF is that all about?

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 am

by Fightersmegamix on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am

Kilb, you need to check the durability of weapons, always carry more than one, unless they are equipped they don't count to your weight limit. Use the blacksmith to level up a few weapons and armour (you buy the key from the old hag in the giants forest next to the second bonfire to unlock the blacksmith in the hub town). Once you unlock the blacksmith you might want to check down the sewers from the tower in the hub town, it will lead you to no-mans wharf, might level up a bit more there and it will at least break the repetition. Also if you're using spears concentrate on your stamina early on rather than health./
by Trixt a@kilb
My best advice is use your white soap stone sign. It will allow you to help other players out, gain some souls and if you die you get returned to your world with the souls you gained. If you are struggling with bosses, I always use a human effigy in front a boss door and summon in 2 players.

Also there is a sword that has extra fire damage that you can get very early in the game. I wont post it here but search "Dark Souls 2: Early Game/Beginner (slightly overpowered)" on you tube if you are interested.
Thank you gents for that help...
Sadly, it has come to my attention that I am just rubbish at playing this game. It wont stop me though, I will slowly grind through the levels. My hand/eye reaction time is too slow to wear light armour, so I prefer medium/heavy defence.
What is even worse is that I have played Dark Souls 1 and am about 1/2 way through it (as far as 3 Kings Boss fight).
I am close to the first boss fight (the Giant), so I will just grind through...
At least I am getting value for money :D
I'm level 51 and now focusing on stamina as I favour the halberd. I found the flame sword and use that as my secondary weapon.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:38 am

If you're getting towards the giant make sure you head left after the ladder down the hole next to the second bonfire (left as looking at the ladder). This will lead you to the map maker, I only just found him as I missed him the first time. He gives you the key to the mansion in Majula, inside there are titanite shards which should come in handy.

Also I forgot to mention you start in Heide's tower before you get to no mans wharf, this is a great place to level up as the knights drop 400 souls each and are right next to the bonfire. You can get there straight from Majula, you can probably increase 10-15 levels in an hour. There are three knights in one spot that are a little tricky, but if you run back to the bonfire they have to come down the stairs one at a time to get you, if you get in trouble you can quickly rest at the fire too.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:43 am

Okay, thanks for that Fightersmegamix
If those knights are similar to the ones in Anor Londo (Dark Souls 1), then they don't stand a chance with me and my trusty halberd!

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am

Lost Dragon wrote:Hit a brick wall as far as progressing to new areas go-until i take down those 3 fecking sentinels...but did discover new NPC, gave me a certain key, unlocked certain door.so mainly been assisting other players, which is nice.

Re:Torches-i've lit all that can be lit in all the areas i've visted, other than nice lighting, not seen it 'do' 'owt...also got in the coffin on the shore guarded by the cyclops Hippo's and..reappeared where i started.WTF is that all about?

The coffin changes the sex of your char.

@Kilb staying light is the key to most boss fights. I tried the heavy armor route, it didn't work out well for me. The last few bosses would drain my entire stamina in one block then id be f**ked. I played through the whole game using artorias armor not the best set but it looks cool.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am

I'm still in sinners rise, thought I could upgrade my armour but it turns out you need twinkling titanite. I'm thinking of doing what got me through the first game, level up my magic a little and using iron flesh for the later bosses, just need to find it first :)

Wish I had more time for this game, usually only an hour at a time so progress is slow, can't believe people have finished already.