Dark Souls 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lost Dragon

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm

:? And another boss down, that's 3 in 2 days.Starting to 'fret' a little here, i admit each time i've gone in with another 2 players to tackle bosses, but they are going down like sacks of 'sh*t.One thing i really loved about Demon's Souls was not only how EPIC bosses were, but just how challenging they were.The reward (in terms of feelings..) you had for taking one down, i'm sadly not getting here.It seems to boil down, tactics wise to little more than:

Let the Phantoms get attention of the boss, you either go in from behind or use a trap that's present in boss arena.Think longest boss fight i've had has been under 2 mins so far.

The online side though, i'm getting so much out of than i did original Dark souls, spending more time helping others than i ever thought i would.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Just started it tonight, so far so excellent. I've been through the "tutorial", found myself in the forest of lost giants and promptly broke my sword. Of course, as a result I got my arse handed to me! Yeah, so far, so dark souls. Maybe I should explore the new nexus a little more first. I've no idea how to spend my now lost 900 or so souls and have been attacked by 3 rabid pigs. Again, only in Dark Souls.

Yep, I think I'm gonna love this. I can't wait for this weekend, major gaming session being planned.

1 minus point so far, well 2 actually.

1: I had to halt progress tonight to install the game, due to the "whisper quiet" 360 defaulting into jet fighter mode.
2: Wish I didn't have a PS4, or wish this game was on it. Either way the difference in gens graphically is quite apparent and it bugs me.

Eat your nans pants

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:00 pm

crusto wrote: 2: Wish I didn't have a PS4, or wish this game was on it. Either way the difference in gens graphically is quite apparent and it bugs me.
The reason why I decided to build a gaming pc, I am a huge fan of Dark Souls with hundreds of hours put into it, However I just couldn't face playing Dark Souls 2 on my PS3. So I am waiting for April 25th for it to be released on pc, like you now I have a ps4 and high end gaming pc last gen just bugs me i find my ps3 now unplayable.
"Time fades even legend..."

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 pm

crusto wrote:Just started it tonight, so far so excellent. I've been through the "tutorial", found myself in the forest of lost giants and promptly broke my sword. Of course, as a result I got my arse handed to me! Yeah, so far, so dark souls. Maybe I should explore the new nexus a little more first. I've no idea how to spend my now lost 900 or so souls and have been attacked by 3 rabid pigs. Again, only in Dark Souls.

Yep, I think I'm gonna love this. I can't wait for this weekend, major gaming session being planned.

1 minus point so far, well 2 actually.

1: I had to halt progress tonight to install the game, due to the "whisper quiet" 360 defaulting into jet fighter mode.
2: Wish I didn't have a PS4, or wish this game was on it. Either way the difference in gens graphically is quite apparent and it bugs me.
Personally i'm chuffed game came out on this gen.Game engine been improved, runs at higher res.than Dark did, i've not had to buy a new console just to continue my Soul Love and i've fingers crossed Sony gets From Software to do a PS4 Demon's Souls II (they own Demon's Souls name i believe).Plus, i've not had to fork out for bloody PS+ just to enjoy the online aspect on PS3.

If they do make a Demon's Souls 2 on PS4, it'll need to be a lot more than something you could have done on PS3, but in higher res, better frame rate, i'm telling you...

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Don't get me wrong LD I still think it looks great from what I've seen so far. But I've been spoiled now by Killzone 4 and AC 4’s graphics. It's the up close stuff that is most noticeable, yep, I'm a PS4 graphics snob lol.

Just a quick idea: Why don't people post up any little secrets etc they discover in this thread? I know there's a dedicated wiki but still...

Eat your nans pants

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:31 am

All roads lead to the Bastille :) Beat the three bosses in there, you will definitely need help for that one. I only just realised the human effigies turn you back, I tried throwing one in the fire and it just stopped invasions so I ignored them until now. It is a bit easy to call for help on every boss, in dark souls you could only turn human at a fire then had to fight to get to the boss. In DS2 you can wait until your just in front of the fog, then turn human and call for help. I have about 12 effigies already so probably enough for most of the big bosses in the game.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 am

okay, secrets etc...

For players as terrible as me (I was killed by the 3 little pigs) here's one...
If you struggle fighting many enemies (or that Turtleman in the Forest of Fallen Giants) try running up a ladder (left stick up + B on 360), and whilst at the top, lock on and throw down fire bombs and magic bombs. This simple tips has saved me several times...

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:52 am

crusto wrote:Don't get me wrong LD I still think it looks great from what I've seen so far. But I've been spoiled now by Killzone 4 and AC 4’s graphics. It's the up close stuff that is most noticeable, yep, I'm a PS4 graphics snob lol.

Just a quick idea: Why don't people post up any little secrets etc they discover in this thread? I know there's a dedicated wiki but still...
I'm of the mindset that 'better visuals' are a given, it's newer tech vs aging tech.I'm more impressed by how creative a designer can be, in DSII often just stood, looking out over the sea, waves lapping away in the background and just admired the decayed look of the enviroment, captures the 'some real heavy sh*t went down here!' feel perfectly.It does'nt need to be in 1080P to impress.

Tips would be great, but i'm still finding game far too easy with co-op/Phantams assisting.I know designers wanted to make a game more people could get into, but think for ninjas like ourselves, game will really come into it's own on NG+.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:All roads lead to the Bastille :) Beat the three bosses in there, you will definitely need help for that one. I only just realised the human effigies turn you back, I tried throwing one in the fire and it just stopped invasions so I ignored them until now. It is a bit easy to call for help on every boss, in dark souls you could only turn human at a fire then had to fight to get to the boss. In DS2 you can wait until your just in front of the fog, then turn human and call for help. I have about 12 effigies already so probably enough for most of the big bosses in the game.
I've only ever a spare effigie or 2, but usually find enough to replace those i've lost.In so many bonfire areas or in fog in front of a boss arena, Phantom sumoning signs a plenty.

Dissapointed to say i've not yet had 1 invasion, nor encountered any Black Phantom's (assuming bosses etc i've despatched will reappear as....at some point?).

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:50 am

It's still early, maybe the anti social types are waiting to level up a bit before they start invading, maybe having a covenant devoted to policing and exacting revenge (and associated achievements) is helping. Maybe the dark souls community is just a bit nicer this time around :)

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It's still early, maybe the anti social types are waiting to level up a bit before they start invading, maybe having a covenant devoted to policing and exacting revenge (and associated achievements) is helping. Maybe the dark souls community is just a bit nicer this time around :)

Its more due to the fact people are still learning the game and dont have those silly op items that 1 shot you. Theres also a ring that gets you invaded more if you wear it and at the brotherhood or blood npc is a duel function.

Overall finding the game too easy, the large amount of players and phantoms make most bosses a joke unless your mess up real bad. Just lit the last primal fire not really sure where to go now, npc says something about a kings castle.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 am

Trixta wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:It's still early, maybe the anti social types are waiting to level up a bit before they start invading, maybe having a covenant devoted to policing and exacting revenge (and associated achievements) is helping. Maybe the dark souls community is just a bit nicer this time around :)

Its more due to the fact people are still learning the game and dont have those silly op items that 1 shot you. Theres also a ring that gets you invaded more if you wear it and at the brotherhood or blood npc is a duel function.

Overall finding the game too easy, the large amount of players and phantoms make most bosses a joke unless your mess up real bad. Just lit the last primal fire not really sure where to go now, npc says something about a kings castle.
:cry: Your confirming my worse fears here...Boss battles are such a walk-over this time around.

Without sounding like a snob, this is the issue when a game becomes too mainstream/opened up to a wider market, things get toned down, something lost along the way.

Trouble is, From Software have to do this, to get the money rolling in to fund future projects.I just did'nt expect to be sailing through bosses like i currently are.Enjoying the game very much, but there are key aspects i feel that have been 'watered down' a tad too much.

1st Dark souls went the 'cheap' route of throwing in bosses just to make it look good, but were easy to beat, the sequel seems to have only put bosses in where needed, but if your fighting with 2 other players, there's just no real challenge.

Pity, had hoped for something more.Currently it feels like Dark Souls:lite in too many respects to make it a true 'classic'.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:22 pm

4 bosses down now, done Ghost Ship area as well (very atmospheric) got F**KED OVER, Royally by a trap (chest) opened it, booby trap killed me stone dea (kissed good-bye to 20,000 souls to boot), fought my way back, died numerous times getting there, now the merchant who was there (and i could sell stuff to) gone!.WTF??????????

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:4 bosses down now, done Ghost Ship area as well (very atmospheric) got F**KED OVER, Royally by a trap (chest) opened it, booby trap killed me stone dea (kissed good-bye to 20,000 souls to boot), fought my way back, died numerous times getting there, now the merchant who was there (and i could sell stuff to) gone!.WTF??????????
huh you could sell stuff to him? This is news to me. Most npcs that sell either stay out or relocate back to the hub town.

Have just entered the dragon mountain which I believe is a zone or 2 away from the end of the game. Nothing that was very hard, toughest bosses imo are in the iron keep.

Also to get invaded you have to be in human form, only had 4 invades myself through the 25 hours Ive put in.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Trixta wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:4 bosses down now, done Ghost Ship area as well (very atmospheric) got F**KED OVER, Royally by a trap (chest) opened it, booby trap killed me stone dea (kissed good-bye to 20,000 souls to boot), fought my way back, died numerous times getting there, now the merchant who was there (and i could sell stuff to) gone!.WTF??????????
huh you could sell stuff to him? This is news to me. Most npcs that sell either stay out or relocate back to the hub town.

Have just entered the dragon mountain which I believe is a zone or 2 away from the end of the game. Nothing that was very hard, toughest bosses imo are in the iron keep.

Also to get invaded you have to be in human form, only had 4 invades myself through the 25 hours Ive put in.
He's been the only NPC so far i could sell to, now he's buggered 'orf!.Typical.

What sort of level do you need to use magic etc? i have various spells etc, but say's i've not enough slots.

Been alt.between helping others and trying (and failing) to take down those 3 sentinels in the boss arena.Best i can do, even with 2 fellow fighters is take down 1st easy enough, start on 2nd, weapon breaks! then other joins in, wipes floor with all 3 of us.

Not used any of boss souls yet, not found any embers either, guess that other blacksmith needs 1 before he's of any use.

Big well in center of hub town-you been down it?