Dark Souls 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snesfanboy

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:06 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:finally beat the spider boss, really tough until I could summon a phantom, in the Drangelic Castle now, nearing the end of game?
roughly at 50% with DLC

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 am

There's a useful map for DS2 knocking around to check your progress:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/f ... S2map2.jpg

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:There's a useful map for DS2 knocking around to check your progress:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/f ... S2map2.jpg
thanks I'll have a look, killed the Looking Glass Knight and I'm now in the Shrine Of Amana, 1st place I have found where the monsters drop twinkling titanite, will have to hang about here as I need the drops for upgrading

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:20 pm

just beat the Demon of Song, game is huge! not complaining, still really enjoying it

getting my equipment levelled up as much as I can, just need to decide on what shield I like best, decided fairly quickly on what weapons and chest armour I would invest in but not really sure about the shields, I have loads, keep trying them out but there isn't one jumping out as the best.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:30 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:just beat the Demon of Song, game is huge! not complaining, still really enjoying it

getting my equipment levelled up as much as I can, just need to decide on what shield I like best, decided fairly quickly on what weapons and chest armour I would invest in but not really sure about the shields, I have loads, keep trying them out but there isn't one jumping out as the best.
I can't speak for DS2 as I didn't get in deep enough, but in DS1 I always preferred the one handed variety, not the big lumbering tower shield etc.

Eat your nans pants

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:38 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:just beat the Demon of Song, game is huge! not complaining, still really enjoying it

Drangleic shield is the best in terms of quality/weight load but for some fights, the tower shield is very handy

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 pm

crusto wrote:

I can't speak for DS2 as I didn't get in deep enough, but in DS1 I always preferred the one handed variety, not the big lumbering tower shield etc.
in DS I used the grass shield and crest shield from what I remember, it was the one with the stamina regen

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:22 pm

snesfanboy wrote:

Drangleic shield is the best in terms of quality/weight load but for some fights, the tower shield is very handy
yeah Drangleic shield has been my choice for most of the game but also used the tower shield when needing ultra defence, the areas I have just been through had a lot of magic enemies so switched to a more magic defence shield, have now found the slumbering dragon shield (which boots stamina and looks great too).

the problem with the drangleic shield is that it upgrades with twinkling titanite and as my sword of choice is the drangleic sword I need the twinkling for that. Ideally want a shield that upgrades normally.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:03 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
snesfanboy wrote:

yeah Drangleic shield has been my choice for most of the game but also used the tower shield when needing ultra defence, the areas I have just been through had a lot of magic enemies so switched to a more magic defence shield, have now found the slumbering dragon shield (which boots stamina and looks great too).

the problem with the drangleic shield is that it upgrades with twinkling titanite and as my sword of choice is the drangleic sword I need the twinkling for that. Ideally want a shield that upgrades normally.
i finished the game the 1st time with mostly using the drangleic shield and i never upgraded it, better to use another shield when you specifically need defence against fire, lightning or magic

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:24 am

yeah you're probably right and I have been swapping my shields about, it's just that I have loads of titanite - shards, chunks, slabs etc, and thinking that I may as well use them.

have decided on chest armour (Alonne Captain), sword (Drangleic) and bow (Dragonrider), so the shield seems like the next thing to upgrade

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:27 am

must be close to the end now?

have found king vendrick but couldn't damage him, found out I needed to have some giant souls to reduce his defence, cleared the dragon aerie and dragon shrine to collect the Ashen Mist Heart?

having a good bow was such a help in the dragon shrine, especially with poison arrows.

now I have to find some giants to kill, take their souls and then back to beat vendrick?

It's a brilliant game but sometimes a bit vague over what you need to do.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 am

Yeah, the giants souls really make the last boss fight pretty easy. It is a bit vague but the flip side are the unexpected surprises you discover along the way.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:41 am

I notice that Ridge Racer Unbounded can be downloaded quite cheaply. Might want to give that a try. Just like the Dark Souls games you (a) can't make out a damn thing it's so dark and (b) you get slaughtered a thousand times and only get past the first level by pure attrition. I wonder what's the point of making a game so hard that most people barely see 1% of it?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 am

joefish wrote:I notice that Ridge Racer Unbounded can be downloaded quite cheaply. Might want to give that a try. Just like the Dark Souls games you (a) can't make out a damn thing it's so dark and (b) you get slaughtered a thousand times and only get past the first level by pure attrition. I wonder what's the point of making a game so hard that most people barely see 1% of it?
On the PS4 you can track how many people have got each trophy. It look like at least a third of people have finished bloodborne, which is much higher than most games.

Just like many gamers you (a) assume that every game is made for you and feel entitled enough to demand a game be changed if you can't play it and (b) you are of at least average gaming skill therefore it must be the games fault.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:03 pm

No need for that.