Dark Souls 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 am

Just got this for a tenner in ASDA for my PS3. Wondering if it's a little more lenient than Demon's Souls (which was only £4 on download)?

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't think it is tbh. And personally I think it's a far weaker title too, mainly due to the lack of respawn ing enemies. I wouldn't stop playing the other two until they were finished, not so with DS2. It's still a very decent game though.

Eat your nans pants

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:04 am

joefish wrote:Wondering if it's a little more lenient than Demon's Souls
Yeah it is a little, especially at first when you are given a bit more time to get used to things. There are some spikes though so expect around 60 hours to get through it.
crusto wrote:I don't think it is tbh. And personally I think it's a far weaker title too, mainly due to the lack of respawn ing enemies. I wouldn't stop playing the other two until they were finished, not so with DS2. It's still a very decent game though.
I thought it was a little weaker than dark souls but better than demons souls. I think demons gets an easy ride for being the first game and for being a playstation exclusive. It is a very good game but it is short, some of the levels were a little weak and the whole world tendency bit was incomprehensible.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:42 pm

I loved Demons Souls, probably a title more than Dark Souls. But Dark Souls 2? A big drop in quality for me, and a ridiculous decision to cap enemy re spawns.

Eat your nans pants

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Capping enemy respawns was one of the best things about the game. Being able to just level up against an easy enemy made a mockery of the difficulty and opened up too many exploits. Demons souls especially had an area (think it was 4-2) where you just shot a large monster with a bow for 20 mins and you could level up a ridiculous amount. Even in darks souls there was a trick in the forest with the ghost warriors near the Sif battle. By having limited respawns DS2 forced you to keep moving and fight every type of enemy. Yes there were some empty areas as a result, but if you notice these it means you're hanging around too much and should push yourself forward more:)

It's a pity you didn't like the game but the next gen re-release is a good opportunity to revisit it, it's a great game, just a little different than the others.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Is there a remaster on the horizon then? I doubt I'll buy tbh, I hit a difficulty spike last time around and had no way of improving my build to overcome it. It just turned into a giant waste of time in the end. Instead of me farming my enemies they just farmed me lol!

Nah, not for me. If something isn't broke and all that..

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:16 pm

just gonna start playing this, seems I have to download something to enable online mode? can't wait to get started

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:50 am

really enjoying this, taking my time to clear out each area to try and maximise the souls as the enemies don't respawn for ever.

have reached the Bastille area, taken down a few bosses but not sure which weapon(s) I should start upgrading.

just got the Heide spear which seems really good but I don't want to upgrade something that will be worthless later in the game.

For those of you that finished DS2, what are the best weapons to stick with?

I'm using a DEX build, back on DS I used the Great Scythe and Black Bow of Pharis which was a superb choice for the DEX character, have not found a scythe yet and not seen a bow I like (or somewhere to get loads of arrows).

Is the Heide spear worth upgrading? I also have a rapier, estoc, falchion, shortsword, B@stard sword, heide sword, firesword, plus quite a few more including some great swords that I don't have the STR to use.

Any tips for weapons/armour for a DEX character?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 pm

The three Ruin Sentinels were a pain in the ar5e, finally beat them with the help of the phantom you can summon from one of the cells.

Using the Drangelic sword and shield now, a good combo but the Heide spear is great for hitting from distance

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:51 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:really enjoying this, taking my time to clear out each area to try and maximise the souls as the enemies don't respawn for ever.

have reached the Bastille area, taken down a few bosses but not sure which weapon(s) I should start upgrading.

just got the Heide spear which seems really good but I don't want to upgrade something that will be worthless later in the game.

I'm using a DEX build, back on DS I used the Great Scythe and Black Bow of Pharis which was a superb choice for the DEX character, have not found a scythe yet and not seen a bow I like (or somewhere to get loads of arrows).

Is the Heide spear worth upgrading? I also have a rapier, estoc, falchion, shortsword, B@stard sword, heide sword, firesword, plus quite a few more including some great swords that I don't have the STR to use.

I was going to fire this up for you so I could give an idea of the build I was using. But the 360 is now in my daughters room and she tends to be either on it or sleeping. Sorry I can't help, although judging by my overall lack of progress in the game I doubt my build was much cop anyway :lol:

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

no worries Crusto, I'm doing ok and plenty of in-depth guides online, just curious how people from here played it.

I have been summoned and invaded a few times so still an active community.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:12 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:really enjoying this, taking my time to clear out each area to try and maximise the souls as the enemies don't respawn for ever.

i believe the halberd you get in the first world scales with DEX and STR, it's a great weapon to doublehand, had good reach and did much damage

heide sword i used the first time around, but then you also have to level up your INT for the lightning effect to do more damage

as for armour : i believe the Manikin mask (just the white face) isn't too much weight and has very decent stats

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:29 pm

thanks for the info, will give the halberd a try, still on the lookout for a scythe.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 pm

just beat the Lost Sinner, killed me a few times but finally did it, not sure where to go now, no new area opened and I was sent back to the main bonfire.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:29 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:just beat the Lost Sinner, killed me a few times but finally did it, not sure where to go now, no new area opened and I was sent back to the main bonfire.
i'll give 1 tip : explore the hub area thoroughly

and from now on, i'm going to shut up 8)