Dark Souls 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lost Dragon

Re: Dark Souls 2

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

:cry: Never thought i'd say this, but i too like Crusto, are seriousily thinking of jacking this game in, for different reasons mind.

I'm a level 77 Knight, been playing for 0ver 27 hrs, 33 mins and finally had my 1st invasion (and i was a hollow at that time).

Have cleared all the decent areas out, so only way to get a lot of souls quickly is aid other players as a phantom, but that means same old areas, time after time.

I bought the cat ring and explored half of the well-utter waste of time, 1 more lock stone, another lifegem and then had to kill myself to get out.

Went and explored area with those fire spitting lizzards in, again nothing great found-hawk ring 9i don't even use arrows) and more souls....

Nobody is dropping stones to upgrade weapons or things to turn me human and i wearing the hat that boosts item discovery, all the merchants who are still around are sold out or sell censored! so how i'm meant to upgrade weapons/armour is beyond me....

The balance on the bosses is pathetic, they either cave in in under 60 secs with 2 phantoms fighting alongside you (which accounts for all bar 1 set i've encountered so far) or are nigh on impossible, resulting in you getting you ass handed to you and you running out of things to return you to human form.

The online side is best in series yet, in terms of actually working, but rest of the game, have to say, more i play, weaker game bcomes......

They've messed up on too many aspects to make it a classic....turning into a wannabe, new director or team has made for lesser exp.i'm sadly finding.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:09 pm

which area are you having problems with?
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Trixta wrote:which area are you having problems with?
I've razed pretty much everywhere to the ground, odd few foes left in the wharf etc, but other areas hardly worth bothering with as i get so few souls in return, explored everywhere i can, only boss left to take down are those 3 sentinels and i know i'll loose all my items that return me to human form, so just been assiting other players as a phantom.Loosing the drive to play now, just hit that brick wall.

Scratch above.Not planning to be here to recieve a reply....

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 am

Maybe you just need a break from the game, Mr Lost Dragon.

Managed to level up to my first miracle, heal.
With my weak playing skills, that should come in handy...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:20 am

Lost Dragon. Talk to the woman selling miracles in Heide's Tower bonfire. Keep selecting talk until she repeats the same phrase. When you return to Majula a light will be on in the tower to Heide's. The womans appears there and offers to open a new path for 2000 souls. This leads to the Huntsmans copse area, which in turn leads to two further areas. One is pretty tricky (undead purgatory) but the skelton boss of huntsman's is a push over and this will lead you to harvest valley and earthen peak. In Harvest valley you will meet an NPC at the beginning who sells titanite and will move back to Majula. Keep going and the boss of earthen isn't too tough. After all this return to three pharoes and kick ass :)

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 am

Lost for that boss, I fight the first sentinel up on the platform where you enter. Then wait for the next to jump up and fight them one at a time. If they both jump up at the same time jump down.

In that room there are 4 secret doors, one room has a ladder that will lead you back up to the first floor, where you can hope only 1 sentinel jumps up at a time. I would imagine you could also abuse the doors as the bosses would be to big to fit through.

IMO they are one of the hardest bosses to beat, just because there are 3 of them

Anyway just lit the first primal bonfire on ng+ bosses are starting to get much harder. Had to fight one with 2 red phantoms in the room -_-
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm really not sure about this game at the moment. Loved the previous Dark Souls and Demons Souls but something about this hasn't clicked yet although after playing today I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more.

Defeated the giant solo then went onto Dragonrider, found him a bit oo difficult so summoned two phantoms and we proceeded to kill him in about 30 seconds if that. Same story with the Old Dragon Slayer, found it a hard fight solo so summoned one phantom and killed him easily. On the one hand the phantoms made it way too easy but on the other I know I wasn't making much progress and really needed the help. Going to have to see how the difficulty goes from here.

Started laying down my summon sign too and helped a few others out with the bosses, earned quite a lot of souls for this. But I'm not really sure if I'm leveling too fast either I'm at SL 51 or maybe more and I'm not really sure if I'm putting the levels in the right places.

Overall I'm enjoying it a lot more, but I can't quite shake the feeling that the game is a bit too cheap at times. I'm used to the previous games so I knew it wasn't going to be easy but at least in the other games when i died I felt that either it was my fault or with each death I was making progress. In DS2 I was starting to feel with every death I'd either got nowhere or was in a worst position than before. That feeling is wearing away a little now though.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Wow! What a difference a day makes, literally! I've been on this solid since about 10 this morning until just now. Initially it was the same old struggle as before, and I wanted to smash my house up at one point. I dug deep though, and finally got to the big tree boss and eventually offed him after a few attempts - on my own too. :D

After that the going got steadily better and less frustrating as the supply of souls became more frequent. I had soon killed the second boss and was then helping others for a good while. I found the drangleic armour and sword, and can move around very freely with it all equipped thanks to some intense levelling. I'm making far more progress now as a result. As things stand I have abandoned the forest as I can't seem to get any further, no idea how to get to the fire lizard thingymajigs.

I'm enjoying it far more now, but am more critical after my early struggles. I think the bosses could be more balanced - a bit too difficult on your own, easy peezy with help. My biggest gripe though is the removal of respawns, I can't see any logic in stopping them, any at all. I hope a patch puts it right.

Great game overall and time will tell to see if it improves on the other two. But either way, I'm feeling the love again.

Eat your nans pants

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:49 am

Disaster!

My right index finger has developed Nintendoitis :shock:
I struggle to use the right bumper/normal attack
Killed the boss in the tower of flame, trundled on and found a cove with ship wrecks

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Had a bit of a struggle with the undead chariot boss earlier today, even with outside help. Got it done in the end though and as a result I have really enjoyed my gaming today. If any 360 owners fancy trying to get some multiplayer going i would be up for it. Myself and lost dragon tried loads with demons souls, unsuccessfully, but I managed to ’arrange’ some multiplayer today with random players.

So it could be possible...

Anyway, one burning question I have is how are players going to farm items, souls etc when the servers quieten down? The only way I have come across any meaningful amount of souls and life gems today is by helping others get through levels or defeat bosses. If this wasn't possible I would have been up censored creek without a paddle. I would have no means of income, and could not buy anything as a result if there was no demand for aid.

I can't forgive from software for binning respawns. Just give the option to turn them off if need be.

Eat your nans pants

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:51 pm

theres an item you can burn on fires, it will respawn the area and make it harder.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:37 am

After the humiliation of being pounded to death by both The Pursuer and Old Dragonslayer,
I decided to use my Bonfire Ascetic on the first Heide's Tower of Flame Bonfire to soul farm and practice my dodge/counter attack on the Old Knights.
I slowly progressed through the No-Man's Wharf, and to my delight, activated the Pharros' Lockstone, illuminating the area by the giant overhead chandelier.
For me, this game just keeps giving enjoyment (when not being pulverised by the Boss encounters) :(

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

I found the lightning spear and when I checked it didn't appear in my inventory, decided to switch off and reload and the damn game autosaves when you quit no matter what :( What is the point of having bonfires if it just saves your game regardless of where you are?

I'm still loving it but the online plays a much bigger role than before as others have said, wouldn't want to try this game in six months time. My only reals gripes are that the achievements are pretty poor, they are all 'collect all hexes, spells etc', every single one involves joining a covenant and going online, meaning you won't get anywhere near completion playing offline or SP. The other is the obtuse NPC's. I don't mind working things out for myself but huge chunks of the game involve 'talk to NPC x at giants forest, then again at xxx, then after the boss while wearing a certain ring talk again, receive item xx then use it here, but only on a Tuesday or it won't work'. There's no way you can do a lot of it without a guide.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Kilb wrote:After the humiliation of being pounded to death by both The Pursuer and Old Dragonslayer,
I decided to use my Bonfire Ascetic on the first Heide's Tower of Flame Bonfire to soul farm and practice my dodge/counter attack on the Old Knights.
I slowly progressed through the No-Man's Wharf, and to my delight, activated the Pharros' Lockstone, illuminating the area by the giant overhead chandelier.
For me, this game just keeps giving enjoyment (when not being pulverised by the Boss encounters) :(
Where did you get the ascetic? I'm sure I remember picking one up but can't see it anywhere in my inventory....

Eat your nans pants

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am

Fightersmegamix wrote: I'm still loving it but the online plays a much bigger role than before as others have said, wouldn't want to try this game in six months time. My only reals gripes are that the achievements are pretty poor, they are all 'collect all hexes, spells etc', every single one involves joining a covenant and going online, meaning you won't get anywhere near completion playing offline or SP.
Actually you're wrong, all trophy's can be done offline. Certain mobs can drop the tokens you need for the covenants.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta