Is the Atari Jaguar the most underrated console system?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Is the Atari Jaguar the most underrated console system?

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Despite not ever owning one, I have always seen the Atari Jaguar as a "cool" system. It seemed like that other, non-Nintendo and non-Sega platform with a sleek black design, a name that incites fear (especially if you're South American :wink: ) and advanced (touted as "64-bit") technology. It also had some interesting and good-looking games I was reading about when younger like Alien vs Predator, Doom, Rayman, ect. I did not know much of the system and I only owned the Mega Drive and SNES but the system was always kinda mysterious to me, hence attractive.

Fast forward to modern times, I now read about the system and it seems there's quite a distaste and unreasonable hate going on for the platform. While I can see that people feel it was underspecced for what it was claiming to be and that it had a somewhat small library of games (many of which not exactly of "stellar quality") and was surpassed greatly in success and popularity by the established 16-bit systems and the newer 32-bit CD ones, it still appears to have some interesting games and homebrew projects going on. Infact it appears that for all the hatred of the system there's just as much appreciation, albeit from a certain group of people. The "homebrew scene" in particular seems to be quite strong on this system, with more projects popping up as time goes on. I just feel this system didn't get the commercial support and success it could have gotten, or deserved to get.

Thoughts?

Sephiroth81

Re: Is the Atari Jaguar the most underrated console system?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Where did YOU learn to fly? :mrgreen:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:06 pm

No, the general consensus is that it is a machine that was marketed badly, had a poor library of games. in that respect I think people have judged it fairly.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Personally, I don't rate it. It does seem to have a few decent games but they seem to be few and far between.
I've bought (and sold) a lot of consoles, the majority of which I never owned 'at the time', but the Jaguar is one
I've never even considered despite owning a few Atari machines (VCS, 2600, 2600jnr, 7800, 800xl, 130XE & ST).

Other "major" consoles I've never considered buying are
NES
Game Gear
Lynx
Neo Geo (purely down to price)

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:No, the general consensus is that it is a machine that was marketed badly, had a poor library of games. in that respect I think people have judged it fairly.
I agree. If you want a definition of underrated you need look no further than the PCE (over these ways anyway). Somehow NEC snatched failure out of the jaws of victory with that one.

Eat your nans pants

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

No. It's one of the worst. Ever. IMO of course it might be THE worst. Poor marketing, fake stats, 7 games, a controller that looks like Chernobyl and is as about as usable ...... speaking of Chernobyl, I give the Jaguar an INES of level 7.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm

The Jag's definitely got a few good games on it, but its flaws are often a little too apparent. While the general view that the system had two good games isn't correct, I'd look to other consoles as the most underrated. The PC Engine and Master System both have a good shout as they each have a number of great games but failed to crack North America, a continent which dominates English-language gaming chatter.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:07 pm

There doesn't appear to be any games in its library that i'm yearning to play, and i'm not that fussed that emulation of the Jaguar isn't up to scratch.

Tempest 2000 I believe was competently ported to the PS1, and even the Saturn version is reasonable. Doom might be decent on the Jaguar, but its not going to win an award for being the best of the lot. Its difficult to justify buying one for any other reason than for collection purposes - and I don't do that, i tend to collect games and systems i'll like and enjoy in the process.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 pm

A very firm but definite no from me.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

van

Post by van » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 pm

crusto wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:No, the general consensus is that it is a machine that was marketed badly, had a poor library of games. in that respect I think people have judged it fairly.
I agree. If you want a definition of underrated you need look no further than the PCE (over these ways anyway). Somehow NEC snatched failure out of the jaws of victory with that one.
Nailed it.

As for the original question, jag fully got what it deserved.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Having briefly owned one, I'll say that there are some good games on the system and while the pad looks horrible, it actually isn't uncomfortable to hold. It's another case of "what could have been" really given that the Jaguar's poor marketing, distribution and quality software are merely a reflection of the state of Atari at the time.

I think if Atari had still been as successful as they were in their heyday when they had launched the Jaguar then it would be fairer to label the console as a 'terrible release'. When the company itself probably couldn't have done much better with what resources they had then I find it harder to be so harsh.

As a retro gamer today, the high prices on Jaguar hardware, accessories and - especially - games is a major wall for gamers on a tighter budget and stops people from picking up a system + games and giving it a fair evaluation.

But do I think it's underrated? No. It is what is and what it was. I would definitely agree that the PC Engine is a better example of an underrated console.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I'll suggest the GX4000 as the most underrated console, and I'll take the fact that everyone will subsequently point out that it's a total laughing stock as proof of my argument. :P

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Matt_B wrote:I'll suggest the GX4000 as the most underrated console, and I'll take the fact that everyone will subsequently point out that it's a total laughing stock as proof of my argument. :P

It is a bit crap though, and this is coming from someone who grew up on the CPC 464 and currently owns a gx4000 with 25 games.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I'll suggest the GX4000 as the most underrated console, and I'll take the fact that everyone will subsequently point out that it's a total laughing stock as proof of my argument. :P

It is a bit crap though, and this is coming from someone who grew up on the CPC 464 and currently owns a gx4000 with 25 games.
It had 25 games? :)

Eat your nans pants

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 pm

crusto wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

It had 25 games? :)
yep, and I have 25 of the buggers.

mostly censored, but Pang, Navy Seals, Switchblade 2, and a couple of others will pass a couple of hours away nicely if you are bored.