Being an older gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mootown

Re: Being an older gamer

Post by Mootown » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 am

I get plenty more comments about being an older Skateboarder than I do a videogamer...

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 am

I applied for a job in game once and my jsa advisor said "oh my husband plays video games he needs to grow up" and I thought no he needs to stand his ground and if you don't like it then tough deal with it
This guy are sick

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

I must admit i dont go into work and shout out 'i'm a retro gamer', but its funny when someone asks me what game i'm playing, i show them and its Manic Miner or another retro iOS game and then suddenly that person (who you never knew loved retro games) looks amazed at the game and says how they used to play that etc etc.

So many more people seem to be playing games now, its good and bad, casual gamers are good as gaming is more mainstream but its also frustrating when casual gamers seem to play Angry Birds and Temple Run and thats it !

But just as we hate stereotypical views about retro gamers, sometimes reading stereotypical views about americans (prinny !), people who drink (no we dont all get blotto and throw up every friday night or have fights) or if you say you like football (no we're not all nutters) is frustrating. We seem to dislike stereotypes about our hobby but people are quite happy to dish it out to others

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:04 am

I'm 39 (well I will be in a couple of weeks) and I find that people around my age don't see it as a big deal. However I work with a lot of people in their early to mid 20's and they don't understand why I would want to play "that old crap".
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:The stigma of playing games is surely dead now, with the fact that basically everyone plays games in one form or another. Console games are played by a huge percentage of adults, but in addition, with every man and their grandma owning some sort of tablet, or smart phone, and playing games on...who actually DOESN'T play games? I can only assume either very bitter and twisted boring people OR newborn babies.
Wise words.

I turned 40 this year and when i 1st started gaming (ZX81) it was very much a nerd/geek thing, mocked etc by many, seen as a passing fad,something i'd grow out of etc.

I know Sony take a lot of flak for the way the Playstation changed the gaming industry and the Wii for being bought and then boxed away etc, but fact is things like the PS1, Wii DS, 360 etc have all made gaming the mainstream source of entertainment it is today.

When i look at the canteen at work and see nearly every table has someone sat there with a mobile or tablet gaming or watching video etc (got so bad company has locked down the free wi-fi) and these are people who'd never have shown any interest in gaming say 10 years ago.

Only comments i get these days are:I still can't believe you've not played...GTA5, The Last Of Us....etc etc.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Volunteering with a lot of teenagers makes me feel a million years old. Whenever we get a console more than two generations old in and I start blathering on about it, it all goes straight over their heads.

The situation soon reverses however when they start talking about Generic FPS MMDCCCLXXXVIII and my eyes start glazing over.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Is it likely we'll see gaming fall off again?

It went through a boom in the late 70s and early 80s then became uncool (a shame, since the computer boom housed a lot of systems that never saw the best of the games)

Amiga and Mega Drive pulled it back a bit, then it went south until the Playstation arrived.

We've had a bit over a decade of gaming being mainstream, so is it finally here to stay, or will those casual players tail away now that movies, books and TV shows among other things are competing on their phones?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is it likely we'll see gaming fall off again?

It went through a boom in the late 70s and early 80s then became uncool (a shame, since the computer boom housed a lot of systems that never saw the best of the games)

Amiga and Mega Drive pulled it back a bit, then it went south until the Playstation arrived.

We've had a bit over a decade of gaming being mainstream, so is it finally here to stay, or will those casual players tail away now that movies, books and TV shows among other things are competing on their phones?
I think it will drop off, not nose dive spectacularly, but I can't see the same sales of hardware as last gen. There will probably be an increase in smartphone/tablet gaming but overall I think the hobby of gaming will decline slightly, I think it peaked last gen, I just don't think the new gaming hardware is as novel or desirable as other tech and gadgets on the market to get those "casual" sales. People bought their parents and even grandparents and Wiis and DS's a few years ago, now if they wanted to buy them a gadget I think they would buy them a tablet, and for general multimedia and internet use, not for games speficially.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Thats what makes me wonder. In the past, a gaming device and games had to be bought. Now they get in by stealth, with Angry Birds on a phone or Candy Crush on a Kindle.

Will their ready accessibilty mean gaming is here to stay in the mainstream right next to other media?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Thats what makes me wonder. In the past, a gaming device and games had to be bought. Now they get in by stealth, with Angry Birds on a phone or Candy Crush on a Kindle.

Will their ready accessibilty mean gaming is here to stay in the mainstream right next to other media?
I think it is. But I'm not sure it will be as common place as music, TV and film etc, or even Internet and social networking if you can call that a hobby.

Even with gaming by stealth on smart devices, I still think there is a difference between playing Angry Birds on a bus ride for five minutes, and sitting down infront of your big TV for a several hour long gaming session, on a dedicated console playing £30+ games. I think maybe there's still different types of gaming, with different levels of acceptability. Your middle-aged corporate type might play bit of Solitaire on his smart phone while on the train home from work, which is essentially gaming, but he probably wouldn't dream of spending an entire evening playing a Playstation.

I think video games will only be considered fully mainstream when there is more of an assumption that everybody does it. A stranger might make conversation about what you watched on TV, because there is such a strong assumption that you would own a TV, as virtually everyone owns one. But you wouldn't a get a stranger making the same assumption about videogames, and asking somebody what game they played last night. (Being on Facebook is probably a more likely assumption to make about someone than playing games.)

Virtually everybody has a mobile device, but it's not a dedicated gaming device so I don't think you could make the assumption that they were playing games on it, certainly not to any great degree. Even people dabbling with Candy Crush or whatever for a few spare minutes probably wouldn't consider themselves a "gamer".

I still think gaming has some way to go to broaden it's appeal to extent that television etc has. Though personally it doesn't really bother me if it does or it doesn't. For some people gaming just isn't or them and that's cool too. It would be nice though if gaming didn't have so much of a stigma attached to it, and was just another hobby that some people choose to do and some people don't, like playing sports, or reading, or board games, or arts and crafts, and many other accepted hobbies.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:24 am

Does it matter if someoe considers themselves a gamer? If its something they regularly do,even if its just 5minutes a day while waiting for the bus,then they are a gamer. They'reusing games as entertainment to fill a gap i their schedule.

Is there really a stigma attached to gaming? There's a lot of ignorance, but nothing that would ever make me reluctant to reveqlI play games.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is there really a stigma attached to gaming? There's a lot of ignorance, but nothing that would ever make me reluctant to reveqlI play games.

Isn't that the same with every hobby though? Tell someone you're interested in Warhammer/modified cars/sports/Star Trek etc and they'll stereotype you

As for the decline of gaming, I do worry that the greed of the industry will come back to hurt it as people get fed up of half finished games being shipped out, rip off DLC and microtransactions

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Does it matter if someoe considers themselves a gamer? If its something they regularly do,even if its just 5minutes a day while waiting for the bus,then they are a gamer. They'reusing games as entertainment to fill a gap i their schedule.
That just shows the hypocrissy of it. Their five minutes playing Angry Birds is acceptable, but an entire evening of playing an actually superior game is apparently something a bit sad to some people. Somebody might even play board games or jigsaw puzzles, or sudoku etc in their spare time, but as soon as the game/puzzle is on a screen, it's suddenly not for them.
Antiriad2097 wrote: Is there really a stigma attached to gaming? There's a lot of ignorance, but nothing that would ever make me reluctant to reveqlI play games.
I think there is. (You probably just dont care what people think and nor should you.)

Firstly it's seen as a childish thing, an escapist fantasy, like playing dress up or let's pretend. If it came out that David Cameron was playing a couple of hours of Skyrim every night he would be slaughtered for it, the press would say "How can he run the country when he's off with the fairies every night pretending to fight goblins?"

It's seen as nerdy and geeky, everything that comes along with that.

It's a virtual thing, so gamers are seen as avoiding the real world, that people playing games are losing themselves in a virtual world instead of the real one because they're losers in life, they don't have real freinds, social lives, romantic relationships etc.

And then there are the harmful aspects, such the idea that all video games are addictive and all gamers are slavishly addicted to them. I think video game addiction is an issue but it's not something that affects all gamers. And of course the sex and violence, and the idea that videos games are to blame for a lot of society's ills. And the idea that video games have replaced sports and exercise and causes obesity.

And games are generally regarded as low brow entertainment, they're generalised as violent and trashy and not very artisitc, especially compared with high brow entertainment like opera. Even a game like chess is thought of as something requiring skill and inteligence, but video games are seen as mindless, just running around shooting everything in sight.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 am

I think there's a stigma in this country, not sure in others. When I was over in Asia people were playing on their PSPs on the train which seemed pretty accetable.

Being older for me just means I have less time to play games - things to do, people to see. Having a kid certainly eats up my time!!!

Part of me does look back longingly at the days when I lived in my parents and played games for hours - sitting at my PC playing Commandos and Blade RUnner, or on the PS2 or Gamecube playing MGS, Red Faction, Viewtiful Joe, Max Payne. But nothing lasts forever.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:31 am

Ahh, good memories - Commandos and Blade Runner on PC. I think my three PC time consumers growing up were Sim City 2000, Dungeon Keeper and Premier Manager (or that might have been Championship Manager, can never remember).

The perception on games is always changing. Its not like the early 90s when it was considered childish. Its too big an industry now to be viewed as that. Many of the biggest budget games are on par with Hollywood movies, and have actors of the same calibre as well.