Being an older gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JMAS666

Re: Being an older gamer

Post by JMAS666 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Wookiee wrote:most over 30s play games these days - be it retro or otherwise so not sure why there'd be any stigma anymore
You'd be surprised. I think the stigma is still there even today. My mum still wishes I'd given up gaming when I was 16 as my parents predicted! :lol:
Games are what children play, sports are what adults graduate to. Games are looked on positively when you're young, not so much when you're older. However, this view will soften in time of course. I still hear the claim that games are a waste of time and that nothing productive comes of them. Of course, these are the same people that are watching trash tv and the soaps so I take very little notice, but the perception is still there unfortunately.
Couldn't have put it better. I'm 50 in August and have no intention of giving up gaming. I am happy to say that both my kids are keen gamers too. My personal focus has changed a little as I've got older - I now get almost as much pleasure from the collecting and cataloging of stuff. I have a number of games I will possibly never play, or at least never play again. That said, Must Buy new titles for me are becoming less and less common so maybe I will find time for the old stuff.
You promised you'd take me there again someday, but you never did.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm

JMAS666 wrote:I'm 50 in August and have no intention of giving up gaming.
LOL fantastic! Now I'm relegated to being the 3rd oldest here (approx) :D

Welcome to the RG forums my friend.
Thoughts and prayers.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:53 pm

This thread reminds me a bit of a comment I saw somebody put on Facebook recently.

Apparently in the place where he works, he was talking to one of his mates about Battlefield 4 and a customer who was in there at the time told him to 'get a life'.

I can't remember the exact words (or find the comment anymore), but apparently he replied something back to him like 'Sir, I've had many lives. Sometimes I've been a lone survivor, fighting against hordes of the undead, other times I've been fighting aliens on a space station or sailing the seven seas with my crew of pirates. I've been part of a squad fighting in war torn areas against terrorists, and I've driven all manner of vehicles from buses to tanks'

and then he also added this line at the end...

'I even used to be an adventurer, until I took an arrow to the knee.' :lol: :lol: :lol:

I seriously don't understand some people's opinions towards gaming...as has been said by everyone else, it's no different from watching TV or reading books. Hopefully it's an attitude that will die out at some point.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

So what do I have to say about this subject? Well I'm not telling you - I only talk to my computer!

People were shy long before computer games, and might be antisocial reading books, painting collecting stamps etc Similarly addiction is hardly confined to Computer games; people can get addicted to fruit machines, to watching soaps, to eating, to not eating, to alcohol and so on.. If nobody was addicted to games it would be stranger then the fact some are.. But the irritating accusation is that games are mindless and only kids and billy no mates play game! Games like Final Fight, X Com, Fallout even the Commodore Gem X to name a few require a lot more thought then stacking shelves, watching TV or going down the pub and getting drunk!

And don't get me started on Facebook with the people who have 1000 facebook friends but no real life friends.. Or facebook posts like "Tell us about your largest turd"
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Shinobi wrote: And don't get me started on Facebook with the people who have 1000 facebook friends but no real life friends.. Or facebook posts like "Tell us about your largest turd"

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 am

Shinobi wrote:So what do I have to say about this subject? Well I'm not telling you - I only talk to my computer!

People were shy long before computer games, and might be antisocial reading books, painting collecting stamps etc Similarly addiction is hardly confined to Computer games; people can get addicted to fruit machines, to watching soaps, to eating, to not eating, to alcohol and so on.. If nobody was addicted to games it would be stranger then the fact some are.. But the irritating accusation is that games are mindless and only kids and billy no mates play game! Games like Final Fight, X Com, Fallout even the Commodore Gem X to name a few require a lot more thought then stacking shelves, watching TV or going down the pub and getting drunk!

And don't get me started on Facebook with the people who have 1000 facebook friends but no real life friends.. Or facebook posts like "Tell us about your largest turd"
I even read an article a while back that suggested that games are good because they teach players things like logic, empathy, consequences etc. Id like to see anyone play Braid or The Bridge and tell me games are mindless!

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm 48 in April. Have been playing since the Pong days.

Cannot ever envisage a time when I stop gaming. Someone once said that we don't stop playing when we got old, we get old when we stop playing.
Last edited by davyK on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Now I"m 4th oldest :)

Any advance?

Maybe someone should create a 'How old are you?' thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm 45 by the way..
Thoughts and prayers.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm

My father in law owns a PS3 and a decent collectionof games

He is 65

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Smudge wrote:
Shinobi wrote:So what do I have to say about this subject? Well I'm not telling you - I only talk to my computer!

I even read an article a while back that suggested that games are good because they teach players things like logic, empathy, consequences etc. Id like to see anyone play Braid or The Bridge and tell me games are mindless!
Agreed when I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia the Doctor who diagnosed me said they used games like Q Bert in the schools to improve the Children's co-ordination, and he believed that playing games where beneficial to Dyspraxic Children.. Playing games for me has helped my co-ordination and writing no end 8)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:54 pm

flatapex wrote:My father in law owns a PS3 and a decent collectionof games

He is 65
Is he a RG forum member, though? :)
Thoughts and prayers.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:39 pm

im 43 this year, am I 5th oldest :P

games, books, films, whatever. A lot of folk own tablets etc these days, surely theres no stigma playing games? :?

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:06 am

rossi46 wrote:
flatapex wrote:My father in law owns a PS3 and a decent collectionof games

He is 65
Is he a RG forum member, though? :)
Unfortunately not :(
Yet

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 am

Shinobi wrote:
Smudge wrote:

Agreed when I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia the Doctor who diagnosed me said they used games like Q Bert in the schools to improve the Children's co-ordination, and he believed that playing games where beneficial to Dyspraxic Children.. Playing games for me has helped my co-ordination and writing no end 8)
Same here although when I was diagnosed they were unsure of what would help SS it was the mid 80s and I was the first of a few kids in my town that were diagnosed about the same time

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:04 am

SoupDragon wrote:im 43 this year, am I 5th oldest :P

games, books, films, whatever. A lot of folk own tablets etc these days, surely theres no stigma playing games? :?
No you're not, i'm 44 in April :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)