Being an older gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

the1980gamer

Being an older gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:51 am

I watched a video by happyconsolegamer who turned 40 this week which made me think.

Being 34 years old and a gamer/collector does get some strange looks and comments from others when they find out, especially from my workmates.

Does anyone else find this happens to them ? ,I just wonder as I find the hobbies that I have are Seen as childish by others my age and even younger.

I do collect certain toys as well as video games/consoles and my children and I play with them.
but to be honest I don't think you should have to grow up if you don't want to,
as long as you have your priorities right and responsibilities sorted then who cares how old you are and what you do with your time.

Check out the vid and sub this guy if you haven't already as his vids are awsome and what do you guys think ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch ... gg-7fKs8LQ
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

rossi46

Re: Being an older gamer

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

I'm considerably older than you and I don't give a fcuk.

It's all interactive media and my sons and I share a common interest because of gaming.

In 100 years nobody will care. Or as my old boss used to say, 'You're a long time dead'.
Thoughts and prayers.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 pm

The average gamer is older than 30, so that's a perception that is wrong. Enjoy your hobby and ignore people who ignore how much the medium has moved on.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:11 pm

When I'm in my 70s, you can call me an older gamer.

Gamers in their 40s are nothing unusual now, we've grown up with this as an entertainment choice in the home since the 70s.

If other people think that its childish to game, they're the ones who are misinformed.

I'll stop playing videogames when grown men stop playing ball, I grew out of that over 30 years ago ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:12 pm

rossi46 wrote:I'm considerably older than you and I don't give a fcuk.

It's all interactive media and my sons and I share a common interest because of gaming.

In 100 years nobody will care. Or as my old boss used to say, 'You're a long time dead'.
Pretty much this.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 pm

the1980gamer wrote:I watched a video by happyconsolegamer who turned 40 this week which made me think.

Being 34 years old and a gamer/collector does get some strange looks and comments from others when they find out, especially from my workmates.

Does anyone else find this happens to them ? ,I just wonder as I find the hobbies that I have are Seen as childish by others my age and even younger.

I do collect certain toys as well as video games/consoles and my children and I play with them.
but to be honest I don't think you should have to grow up if you don't want to,
as long as you have your priorities right and responsibilities sorted then who cares how old you are and what you do with your time.

Check out the vid and sub this guy if you haven't already as his vids are awsome and what do you guys think ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch ... gg-7fKs8LQ
oh yes, i get this.
people assume as i have so many games and systems (200 games, 8 consoles) that i live at home (i do, in my own house with my missus), that my missus is a gaming widow (nope, we have hobbies but are closer than the majority of couples) or that i spend all night on xbox live playing call of duty (haha, nope)

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:36 pm

most over 30s play games these days - be it retro or otherwise so not sure why there'd be any stigma anymore

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:46 pm

34 is young.I'm roughly the same age (33 this year), and feel exactly the same as I did a decade ago, not just physically, but my passions and what I enjoy. One of those things is videogames, whether playing or collecting them. I'm proud to say I own all the major consoles of the last 3 generations (and envious of those that have gone even further than that!). Some people say its weird, but I guess everyone likes to judge - i'm sure i've judged people (Even without thinking about it) on what they like. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Videogames are cool, and they are ART, and a hell of a lot of fun.

The average gamer is N.America now is mean't to be 37, and they are just as likely to be a female as a male. The landscape of gaming has changed as our generation has grown up with it. It will continue to change, I suspect in 10 years time, the average age of a videogamer will be indeed in their mid 40s.

The only thing i dislike is snobby gamers, who look down upon a certain type of other gamer, or genre. Games are games, one likes what they like. Now lets shut up and play some Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:55 pm

44 this year and nobody gives a toss that i play games. Just how i like it. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm

39 and never had an issue apart from the odd snide comment, don't worry! :D

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 pm

nokgod wrote:44 this year and nobody gives a toss that i play games. Just how i like it. :D
I second that.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 pm

LOL I'm 45 and the only time I've had any kind of issue is when taking out RG mag in my work.

If it's an especially 'kiddy-looking' cover that month, the hairy-assed workers in the tea room usually voice their negative and narrow-minded opinions, but who is the first person they turn to when asking for eBay/PC/IT/mobile phone/which-console-to-get-next advice?

Yep, me. :)
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:17 pm

You're only as old as the person you're feeling.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm

DPrinny wrote:You're only as old as the person you're feeling.
I've just gained 12 years!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Wookiee wrote:most over 30s play games these days - be it retro or otherwise so not sure why there'd be any stigma anymore
You'd be surprised. I think the stigma is still there even today. My mum still wishes I'd given up gaming when I was 16 as my parents predicted! :lol:
Games are what children play, sports are what adults graduate to. Games are looked on positively when you're young, not so much when you're older. However, this view will soften in time of course. I still hear the claim that games are a waste of time and that nothing productive comes of them. Of course, these are the same people that are watching trash tv and the soaps so I take very little notice, but the perception is still there unfortunately.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer