The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ryan_McN

Re: The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Post by Ryan_McN » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 am

Had to own a NES after watching my cousins play Blades of Steel and Mario 2. I got my NES at Christmas with Donkey Kong Classics, Mario 1 and 2.

SNES was essential for me after playing Street Fighter 2 in arcades. My SNES came bundled with the battery munching Super Scope! I also got Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2 with it.

My big bro got the MegaDrive but I requested most of the games for it from my frustrated parents.

I had to own a PS1 when I saw magazine articles regarding Street Fighter Alpha. I got my PS1 with no game bundled, and bought SFA separately along with Alien Trilogy, Rayman and a weird spaceship game that had FMV video (I think it was Shockwave Assault).

I held off on PS2 until Vice City was released, although I borrowed my friends PS2 often.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:55 am

First console I bought myself was a SNES. I really wanted Mortal Kombat 2 (for some reason) and bought a few mags to see which version was the best.

I was round a mate's house when he fired up some four-player Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast and that was that. Had to have it.

Also bought a PC back in the day just to play the original Alien Vs Predator. £500 and it didn't even work. Had to buy an extra graphics card and chain them together.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:57 am

NES & SNES.

Both were incredible, and both blew me away.

The boxes of both still give me goosebumps even now when I look at them. :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 pm

SNES with Street Fighter 2, I salivated over that.

PS1 and Wipeout. I had a preview tape and the second I saw it running I was blown away. The 3DO had appealed before that due to Road Rash, Fifa and NFS but this blew them all to pieces.

PS2. World Soccer Winning Eleven 5. It was the market leading football game by a million miles. Incredible.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:42 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this story but here goes……..

It was 1990 something or other (a long time ago) I was a c64/PC gamer but always wanted a SNES. Never owned a console and once I saw Street Fighter II running on it, I wanted one, I needed one. Stunning Graphics and sounds, no faffing about with loading, tape head alignment, AUTOEXEC.BAT, using a keyboard to play games and so on. Instant gratification, instant arcade in my home………and a little game called Mario Kart. At the time I thought it was wrong to buy the console as well as owing two computers. Yet I wanted a SNES.

It was the last day of work before the Christmas shutdown. As usual we went out on the beer; hit the local town around 1 pm. At some point we walked passed Dixons in-between pubs. Clocked a SNES box in the window (the Mario All- Stars pack in) and a price reduction. Shall I? I’ve got the money and it is Christmas after all so why not? Because I’m on a pub crawl! I can’t exactly put it in my pocket, now can I?

Several pints later and I’m in Dixons picking up my SNES, a huge smile on my face with a belly full of beer. If I can just hold on to this for a couple of hours then I’m home. But it was a great day out, one of the best. Several pubs, an Indian and a night club later, me and my SNES are home. I don’t remember much, but apparently my SNES and I danced the night away………….I woke up with a sticking hangover, dazed and confused. I wondered downstairs half asleep, found a doggie bag from the night before, some of my clothes, mind still foggy and there my new SNES, propped up against a wall. My hangover soon disappeared as I discovered the joys of gaming while still lying in bed. There was much rejoicing. ’The lost levels’ are still too hard for me though…..

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 am

Has to be when my brother got a PC in the mid 90's and I couldn't wait to upgrade from the Amiga fast enough, everything just seemed to be taken to the next level with the quality of FMV, Audio and depth of the games.....and the first time I saw Actua Soccer, a 3D football game :shock:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 am

TheDude18 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this story but here goes……..

It was 1990 something or other (a long time ago) I was a c64/PC gamer but always wanted a SNES. Never owned a console and once I saw Street Fighter II running on it, I wanted one, I needed one. Stunning Graphics and sounds, no faffing about with loading, tape head alignment, AUTOEXEC.BAT, using a keyboard to play games and so on. Instant gratification, instant arcade in my home………and a little game called Mario Kart. At the time I thought it was wrong to buy the console as well as owing two computers. Yet I wanted a SNES.

It was the last day of work before the Christmas shutdown. As usual we went out on the beer; hit the local town around 1 pm. At some point we walked passed Dixons in-between pubs. Clocked a SNES box in the window (the Mario All- Stars pack in) and a price reduction. Shall I? I’ve got the money and it is Christmas after all so why not? Because I’m on a pub crawl! I can’t exactly put it in my pocket, now can I?

Several pints later and I’m in Dixons picking up my SNES, a huge smile on my face with a belly full of beer. If I can just hold on to this for a couple of hours then I’m home. But it was a great day out, one of the best. Several pubs, an Indian and a night club later, me and my SNES are home. I don’t remember much, but apparently my SNES and I danced the night away………….I woke up with a sticking hangover, dazed and confused. I wondered downstairs half asleep, found a doggie bag from the night before, some of my clothes, mind still foggy and there my new SNES, propped up against a wall. My hangover soon disappeared as I discovered the joys of gaming while still lying in bed. There was much rejoicing. ’The lost levels’ are still too hard for me though…..
Great story and how could you be disappointed with the 16 bit remasters of the Mario games, a truly superb collection. Mario All Stars (and M.A.S Plus World) must rank amongst the greatest compilation games of all time, right up there with Orange Box, arguably better as they've been massively overhauled. Pub crawl, curry finished off with a session of Mazza....perfect evening.

The year was probably about 1993, or more likely Christmas 1994 (if it had been reduced).

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm

never really had an omg moment, most were surprise christmas presents from the parents when i was a kid, or bought as second hand bargains as an adult.

ps2 was bought brand new and still owned now over 11 years later

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
TheDude18 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this story but here goes……..

Great story and how could you be disappointed with the 16 bit remasters of the Mario games, a truly superb collection. Mario All Stars (and M.A.S Plus World) must rank amongst the greatest compilation games of all time, right up there with Orange Box, arguably better as they've been massively overhauled. Pub crawl, curry finished off with a session of Mazza....perfect evening.

The year was probably about 1993, or more likely Christmas 1994 (if it had been reduced).
Absolutely agreed, a superb read that.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:24 am

Thanks for the comments lads. Just to clear things up though it was the fact the it was the All-Stars bundle (and not the street fighter one) that finally swung it for me(not the one with Mario World included though) Mind you it could have been the price reduction. Or the booze.

The purchase of the N64 was highly uneventful though (a bit like the console itself) Woke up on launch day, found a shop with some stock, bought it with a copy of Mario 64. Wallet felt a lot lighter that day......

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

TheDude18 wrote: The purchase of the N64 was highly uneventful though (a bit like the console itself) Woke up on launch day, found a shop with some stock, bought it with a copy of Mario 64. Wallet felt a lot lighter that day......
So the first fully 3D Mario did not impress you? :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 am

After hearing the music to Aztec Challenge on a neighbour's C64, I had to get one. Little did I know how much better SID tunes would end up, and the games themselves.

The Amiga was from the distant future. It was so far ahead of anything else I couldn't believe it existed. I got one in '87 when the A500 came out and never needed anything else until the end of the Millennium.

The PS2 and PS3 were must-have's, but that was just because they were the next step, and without getting them I wouldn't have a current console.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V