The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lord Innit

Re: The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 am

Went into a computer shop to get a game for the Master System and came out of the shop with an Amiga 500 plus modulator and a couple of games. Why? A game called Garrison II was playing on a monitor and it looked like an excellent clone of Gauntlet.
I just had to get it there an then.
I went in to spend about £20-25 and spent about £450 instead.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Speccy and Dreamcast. Remember seeing Jet Set Radio in action in Electronics Boutique (I think i was) and had to have a DC.

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Sega Saturn - I wanted Daytona USA in my bedroom. I sort of got it. (With horrendous pop up and massive black borders). 8)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:10 pm

ironmonger wrote:Sega Saturn - I wanted Daytona USA in my bedroom. I sort of got it. (With horrendous pop up and massive black borders). 8)
Haha, awwww sorry to hear that. I've just bought a Saturn, with Daytona USA CE on its way, I hope its not quite as horrendous as the original!

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:14 pm

They fixed the pop up and messed with the car handling from what I remember. Both were good games though. :)

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Like many people, I just HAD to have a SNES to play SF2 at home. I had to wait a while though, I remember having just got my SNES, I then bought a loose cart SF2 from my friend for £8 when he upgraded to SF2 Turbo.

Also, regarding comments on the PS2, I don't really have that much love for it, sure it has a huge number of 'good' games, but looking along my shelf of 50ish games, I'd only really say that Shadow of the Colossus, (and just maybe Silent Hill 2) would make it into my top 50 games of all time. Backwards compatility was a masterstroke though, cos the PS1, now that does have some classics....

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:50 pm

ZX81 Once i'd seen 3D Monster Maze running on my mates ZX81, that was it, MUM!!!!! can i have a computer? (repeated until folks caved in and bought my sister and i a computer, yeah, like she was ever going to use it..).

Atari ST (bought as £100 cheaper than Amiga and you got stack of free games), mates older brother bought one for the MIDI gubbins and wrote music etc, but when he was'nt fanny-ing about with that, he played IK+ (made my C64 look very dated and it had samples from Enter The Dragon!) and Starglider II, gobsmacked!.

Jaguar (yes, really) AVP rolling demo, instant buy to massive Aliens fan like myself.

MegadriveC+VG sold this to me with coverage of Revenge Of Shinobi, Strider and SOR.

Playstation ok, yes bought on hype with Ridge Racer and Toh Shin Den, but Xcom made it an essential purchase alone for a good while.

Rest of the stuff i just bought as/when, nothing really OMG, must buy now.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:55 pm

The PC Engine I saw running R-Type in Telegames, just had to have it, and on Grey import at the end of the eighties, it really did cost me.

The SNES, after an agonising wait for it to be released in the UK, I had been reading about SMIV, Super Tennis and F-Zero, and the other great games it promised, I was not going to be denied on release day, went into Boots, they had sold out, so Woolworths it was, they only had one left, and it had been promised to an 8 year old, who was ten pounds short and had gone to get it, his Mum was filling out some kind of form to reserve a future game, so I got another assistant who had just come to cover the till to sell it to me, quick as she could as I had 'a bus to catch', just made it out the door as the excitable youngster came back to claim his now sold console, I did not feel remotely bad afterwards, after 18 months waiting for the thing, I just could wait no longer, sorry kid, or hopefully not reading this grown man!

Gameboy, after playing on one in Dixons, I really had to buy one there and then, using some money that shall we say was earmarked for other purposes.

Saturn, I bought a PS1 first, but a year after that, I was playing Sega Rally, Virtua Cop and VF2, in a shop and realised I was seriously missing out on some great games, the first two Panzer Dragoon games cemented the deal, first use of credit card there.

PS1, Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Jumpin' Flash, the buzz around this thing was extraordinary, had to be bought.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Spectrum and Amiga, just had so many friends with them, it was almost mandatory.
Other platforms I just picked up as an when...
Games though, for some reason Goemon64, I searched everywhere for it and paid about 60 quid in the end,
no idea why... can't even remember how i'd heard about it... I loved the hell out it though!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 am

adippm82 wrote:
The SNES, after an agonising wait for it to be released in the UK, I had been reading about SMIV, Super Tennis and F-Zero, and the other great games it promised, I was not going to be denied on release day, went into Boots, they had sold out, so Woolworths it was, they only had one left, and it had been promised to an 8 year old, who was ten pounds short and had gone to get it, his Mum was filling out some kind of form to reserve a future game, so I got another assistant who had just come to cover the till to sell it to me, quick as she could as I had 'a bus to catch', just made it out the door as the excitable youngster came back to claim his now sold console, I did not feel remotely bad afterwards, after 18 months waiting for the thing, I just could wait no longer, sorry kid, or hopefully not reading this grown man!
Sadly that child handled this momentous disappointment very badly, he fell deep into depression and as soon as he hit 16 left home to join the circus, and has not been seen since. His parents could never console him.....(theres a bad pun in there for you).

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Barcade Battler, the craze at the time was outstanding, went and bought one and loads of game cards, took it home and built up my skills, took it to school....and noone else had one, swapped it for 10 embassys and a packet of space raiders.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Nintendo is terrible for this. Terrible! There always seems to be one game that I end up really wanting to own, and then from there all the other great games hook me in.

NES - Having played SMB, it turned into a must-have for me, after getting it in discovered a lot of class games.
SNES - Again, Mario! Played it round a mate's house, and this alongside Street Fighter made me hanker after this.
N64 - Ocarina of Time had everyone I knew salivating, it just seemed such a brilliant title. That and Goldeneye? More than enough to justify wanting this.
Wii - After seeing Muramasa recently, I just had to get hold of a cheap Wii. Vanillaware's games are always of a high quality IMO, and this was enough to make me want to stump up for a console.

I can see the Wii U winning me over with Bayonetta 2 eventually...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Atari 2600 - bought out of nostalgia because it was the first console I ever played on, and it's got a bloody good library of arcade style games if you're prepared to look past the blocky graphics and dig through the shovelware.

Speccy - bought for me by my mum and dad, probably because my dad had a few mates at work he could copy games off but I ended up spending nearly all of my pocket money on original copies of games anyway.

Game Boy - bought because my mates at school had one and I got into Tetris. I wasn't a massive Super Mario Land fan though...first game I bought was Gargoyle's Quest and I thought that was better than anything else on handhelds at the time.

SNES - bought because of the initial Street Fighter 2 exclusivity, then a mate at school who had one got me into stuff like Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, Zelda and Secret Of Mana as well.

NES - bought partly because I'd always wanted one since seeing The Wizard :oops: :oops: and my sister had one with Super Mario Bros 3...I still think it's a better game than Super Mario World even though I played Mario World first.

Mega Drive - bought just before Sonic 3 came out because I wanted to see what all the fuss was with Sonic....I never liked Sonic 1 & 2 that much (didn't enjoy them as much as the Mario games I'd played, they felt very overhyped to me), was initially down on Sonic 3 as well but then I got right into it when Sonic & Knuckles was released. Loads of genuinely great games on the Mega Drive though, I eventually bought quite a lot for it.

N64 - bought because I ended up loving the SNES so much, and had the chance to play Super Mario 64 on a Jap machine demo pod in HMV months before the UK release....I was immediately sold, and preordered one. Since then, I've bought most (every?) Nintendo handheld and console at launch...Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U just because I seem to enjoy and return to Nintendo franchise games (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.) a lot more than anything else I play.

Playstation - basically a combination of Grand Theft Auto and all the hype for Tomb Raider 2 and Final Fantasy 7. I got more into playing RPGS on the original Playstation than any other console, played stuff like Alundra and Azure Dreams for hours, plus it had the only western released port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 at the time which is possibly my fave game in the whole SF series.

Saturn - always wanted one at the time for Virtua Fighter (which I prefer to Tekken), Daytona (which I prefer to Ridge Racer) and Nights rather than a Playstation, but went with the Playstation because of the above games and it was a cheaper console. I eventually got a cheap Saturn and nearly all the games I wanted for it years later so all's well that ends well :)

Dreamcast - bought because the previews I saw of Sonic Adventure and Power Stone at the time looked like they were far ahead of anything the Playstation could do, it was a fairly cheap system and the whole internet access thing intrigued me. Loved the console but it ended up costing me a small fortune in dial up internet phone bills. :( (had a £300 phone bill for one month once, split between Dreamcast internet usage and using the landline to call my ex girlfriend's mobile phone a bit too much :oops:

PS2 - I eventually caved into the hype for GTA: Vice City, but the thing that really pushed me over the edge was that I was still heavily into WWE at the time, and WWE Wrestlemania X8 for Gamecube turned out to be a bit crap so I was hoping Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth would be better (it was :) ).

Xbox - a combination of the announcements of exclusive console versions of Half Life 2 and Doom 3, and Microsoft acquiring Rare. I liked the console and it's games but I was disappointed that the only games Rare put out for it were Grabbed By The Ghoulies and a slightly butchered port of Conker.

Xbox 360 - pretty much bought for GTA 4, and the fact that it was a cheaper option than the PS3 at the time. GTA 4 disappointed me, but I found plenty of other games to love like Gears Of War and Crackdown instead. :)

PS3 - Bought when the Slim came out because I really (really) wanted to play Uncharted 2, and it was a cheap(ish) way to get a Blu Ray player at the time as well. As time's gone on, I think it's grown a much stronger library of exclusives than the 360 as well (both retail and on PSN) but that's purely personal opinion.....it's that (and the cheaper price than the Xbox One) which is mainly swinging me towards the PS4 as my next console as well.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:50 pm

My first must have would have been the SMS. After stuttering through my early gaming years with the impressive but unreliable 800XL and the CPC 464 I stumbled across it (and rocky) at a newly made friends house and that was it. I nagged my dad until he caved in.

Then within a few months of owning the SMS I read "that" PCE article and clapped eyes on "those" screen shots in CVG. I simply had to have one and mom was next on the nag list. Very rarely, it pays to have divorced parents :) . It arrived, it was faulty, missing promised games and the the mail order co had mysteriously vanished, seemingly overnight. But my god was it worth it, Vigilante was awesome!

Next up was the SMD. I knew it was going to be awesome, lots of my friends were getting one, my brother in law had one, and the games were more obtainable than the PCE. I managed to secure one for crimbo 91 iirc, loved it, and being able to swap games again with my pals was a huge bonus.

Then the SNES - I was more than happy with my growing collection but the SNES was too good to ignore. I sacrificed an entire summer holiday working full time at a carpet warehouse (for £40 per week!) to be able to afford it. Both Ma and Pa both were having none of it this time round :lol: .

After (thankfully) resisting the urge of having various Sega add on's, CD 32's, 3D0's etc I couldn't resist the pull of the PSX. That was my last "big pressie" from my mom. It was an early crimbo present and marked the real start of adulthood. I had some great fun initially, but Began a slow withdrawal from gaming in favour of booze and ladies etc.

It wasn't long before I started missing my consoles again. My missus treated me to a N64 and then a PS2 a shortish while later. Ever since then it's been all about balancing my gaming urges against real life, family etc.

For what it's worth, the PS2 was the console which really got me back in to gaming and is arguably my favourite console of the post 2000 era. It was home to Vice City ffs! And PES was at its best back then....

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:07 am

Atari Lynx & SMS...after seeing articles in C&VG.

I had to have a Vectrex, Colecovision and PCE as well...but never have! :lol: