The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 am

With the multi threads about Saturn this, 3DO that, nintendo the other, they are all ace rubbish I hate you I love you fight fight fight going on etc etc I was wondering about which companies got their hooks right into your face? I mean the reason I thought about this was the 3DO (amongst others) ..... it never even nearly appealed to me even though it had movies and stuff and seemed pretty fancy pants tech.

So was it good word of mouth? spot on advertising? random prophecy from the stars? Anyway everyone loves a list.

Totally nailed it into my brain via advertisment and mates having them and other stuff:

Master System (mate had one, I then had to get one)
SNES (mate had one, I then had to get one + advertising and almost arcade perfect SFTII)
Game Gear (tech handheld gubbins, I just had to have)
Amigas (mates had A500s and the advertising and media stuff was good too)
N64 (first time I'd made a decision on my own LOL it just looked like it was going to be ace)
Playstation (probably the best advertising and media push in gaming history, lads mag culture in the 90s? instant sale)
Xbox One (on the back of how much I lovethe 360)

And that's about it? I would have thought it would be a longer list but those are the main systems I 'had to have' at all cost. Some big boys missed the list too, both xbox and xbox 360? I bought my original xbox well towards the end of it's run and my 360? I wouldn't have even got one ..... it was a suprise prezzie from Mrs Koop (ironic seeing as it is currently still my fave console of all time).

Others that missed : Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Megadrive, all of Atari systems, PC gaming, All comode crap (except for Amigas), all Amstrad stuff, all BBC stuff.

I missed the whole PS2 thing ..... probably because I was into drinking girls and trying to sleep with alcohol ..... hang on, wait, what? Out of my list? I would say overall? The Amiga ...... A1200 in particular was my most wanted system at the time, probably even more than the Xbox One.

Sure, I enjoyed a load of the stuff I missed ..... but after the fact and when I started retro gaming. Strange.

I'm sure I'll be editing this post ...... there MUST be something I'm missing LOL

The Laird

Re: The gaming you just 'had to have' at all cost

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 am

My first was the Spectrum, all my mates had one and so I had to have one too.

Atari Lynx - my mate Will got one from America when it was first released and I was very impressed. But when I played Blue Lightning in Dixons I knew I had to own one no matter what.

Sega Mega Drive - Just to play Streets Of Rage, never wanted a system to play just one game before or since. Thankfully it had lots of other amazing games too.

Atari Jaguar - From the moment I first saw a preview in the American Die Hard Game Fan magazine I wanted one so bad, it looked so far ahead of anything else on the market. Still the only system that I have pre-ordered.

Sega Saturn - To play Sega arcade games at home and Panzer Dragoon, that game blew me away with its beauty.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 am

I'd have loved to put Spectrum but it was getting my first Spectrum as a prezzie that started all of my gaming so it couldn't count as 'must have' for me.

The Lynx is the only Atari system I'd ever want (and have owned at least 3 times) but again this was after the fact. I'd buy a Lynx at the right price every time.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:47 am

For me, it was Street Fighter II and a Super Nintendo. Having played the arcade version for months, SF2 and a SNES was surely an essential - and the best port of them all.

The SNES was a beast, and after I got one with SF2, I don't think I needed another SNES game for months. Then finally after completing SF2 with all the characters (probably finally with Dhalsim on level 7), I purchased Super Smash TV.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 am

Pokemon made me have to have a GBC then GBA. I bought I Gamecube because I had to play Pokemon Coliseum and I bought the original DS a week after launch because I knew there would be a Pokemon game on it. That franchise has sold me a silly amount of machines really.

PS2 I originally held off on but when games like Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur III were coming out, I had to get one because these were sequels to my favourite series' and just looked too good to miss. Thankfully they lived up to their promise, I bought a huge number of games afterwards and the PS2 became my favourite console of all-time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:06 am

Megamixer wrote:Pokemon
PS2 I originally held off on but when games like Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur III were coming out, I had to get one because these were sequels to my favourite series' and just looked too good to miss. Thankfully they lived up to their promise, I bought a huge number of games afterwards and the PS2 became my favourite console of all-time.
Objectively speaking, the PS2 could be quite easily argued as the best console of all time. The games on PS2 still look decent and polished today, and have a massive catalogue of them....and it features perfect/improved backwards compatibility of the PS1, another console which could be argued as the greatest of all time. Plus for many people, it was their first experience of DVDs. I don't think i've ever bought a DVD/Blu Ray player in my life thanks to consoles, and the PS2 started all of that off.

I still prefer the SNES and Amiga though :D

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: Objectively speaking, the PS2 could be quite easily argued as the best console of all time.
Nope, I missed that whole thing.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 am

koopa42 wrote:
Nope, I missed that whole thing.
It's not my favourite console ever, but if you were to debate it on statistics; quantity and quality of games, and the best backwards compatibility, longevity and support of the console, sales (i know i know) - it is truly astonishing. One could never get bored on a desert island if all they had was a PS2 and its catalogue of games (with all its PS1 games too!).

P.S I'm in no way a Sony fanboy either. I have always warmed more towards Nintendo, as far as consoles go.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:39 am

The PS2 is the best for me simply because most of my favourite games in general are on it. I also have more great games on the PS2 that I'm not willing to part with compared to those on other consoles.

Back on topic though, if we can answer the question retrospectively, I bought a Saturn because I had to have games like Fighters' Megamix, Sega Rally etc. Also being a massive fan of fighting games, it's a console that I can't not own.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 am

I had to have a Gameboy with Tetris after I played a mate's in the canteen at college. I bought one a week later from Dixons.

SNES with Street Figher II. Mean Machines magazine are to blame for their lavish, excessive coverage of this game! Not to mention the free VHS video cassette, included with one of the mags, showing in game footage.

An N64 with Goldeneye. I would have accepted no substitute!! Bought for me, after much hint dropping, by an ex-girlfriend.

I had to have a Gamecube for Mario Kart DD and Rogue Squadron. Bought for me, after much hint dropping, by an different ex-girlfriend. She's now my wife :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:21 am

A SNES for Streefighter II, had to sell my Amiga to get it though.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 am

sscott wrote:A SNES for Streefighter II, had to sell my Amiga to get it though.
Well, you were hardly going to get Street Fighter II on the Amiga :-) Awful version!

However, I hope you realised your mistake eventually and bought an Amiga back in the end.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:36 am

The best Amiga 2D fighter was Panza Kick Boxing .... great game. Never liked Body Blows and as you say ....... the 9324923764329746 disk SFII was awful.
Last edited by koopa42 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:37 am

Famicom - others had it so I had to have it too.

Game Boy - cousin and others had it so I had to have it.

Mega Drive - friend had it so I had to have it (& Sonic The Hedgehog).

SNES - Donkey Kong Country. Had to have it.

N64 - Banjo-Kazooie. Had to have it.

GameCube - Metroid Prime. Had to have it.

Xbox 360 - Perfect Dark Zero. Had to have it.

Various PC graphics cards - had to have them for various "killer" games like Quake III, Unreal Tournament 2003, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Oblivion, ect.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 am

Speccy - Practically all my mates had one apart from one C64 lad and an odd BBC owner !
Gameboy - Went round my mates house, loved tetris, blew my mind when he took the cartridge out and put another one in (I thought it was just one game !) Bought one the next day
Playstation II - Saw the missus playing Vice City on her brothers PSX II, bought one the following weekend, loved that game