Is there a genre you've never played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Is there a genre you've never played?

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Are there any genres you've never played (or hardly played?).

I've played one RPG in my life and probably one text adventure, but otherwise haven't touched those genres,

ToxieDogg

Re: Is there a genre you've never played?

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Point and click adventures for me.

I've enjoyed the few I've played (Maniac Mansion, the first Monkey Island and the Tales Of Monkey Island games) but it's not really a genre that I find myself wanting to return to much. Plus when I grew up I gave 16 bit computers a complete miss (went straight from my old Speccy onto consoles) so it's not a genre I tend to come across a lot anyway.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 pm

same here actually with point and click - (I'd forgotten about them as I'd never played one!) I suppose I should give everything a whirl once, but I can tell that it's not a genre for me

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:12 pm

F1 simulators ..... in fact any driving sim. Total tosh the lot of them.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Things like World Of Warcraft, Singstar, bloody dance mat sh*te, probably few other odds n sods, but tried my gaming hand at most stuff.Only way to know if you'll like it is to try it i guess.

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:16 pm

I've never played a true RPG, with turn based combat. I bought FFIIV back in the day, because I'd heard it was amazing, but I turned it off after 10 mins and sold it!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Things like World Of Warcraft, Singstar, bloody dance mat sh*te, probably few other odds n sods, but tried my gaming hand at most stuff.Only way to know if you'll like it is to try it i guess.
I have no sense of Rhythm at all, but I have tried a few of these games. Patapon was the one I got on best with.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 pm

FPSs - too fiddly, can't be ar5ed.

I was rubbish at Goldeneye & I've never really bothered since.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 pm

I've played very few real time strategy games other than maybe X Com.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 pm

I avoid most sports games by choice but i'd say Text adventures from back in my youth. Played one and never ever returned to them since. Point and clicks passed me by as there werent any on my format of choice and apart from 2 minutes on Day of the tentacle then Ive not bothered. I try a FPS every now and then but ultimately end up disappointed most of the time.

Never ever played an RTS. And not sure im bothered.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:10 pm

This is a tricky one, I think ive tried them all

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 pm

shiftytigger wrote:I avoid most sports games by choice but i'd say Text adventures from back in my youth. Played one and never ever returned to them since. Point and clicks passed me by as there werent any on my format of choice and apart from 2 minutes on Day of the tentacle then Ive not bothered

I don't think I ever did until The Walking Dead and lately The Wolf Among Us. I have no interest in going back to the accepted classics though since the obtuse "use the horn to scare the chicken which will run off and knock over a paint can that rolls down the hill into the water and makes a ripple that scares the fish off so you can pick up the key" style puzzles hold no interest for me

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:I avoid most sports games by choice but i'd say Text adventures from back in my youth. Played one and never ever returned to them since. Point and clicks passed me by as there werent any on my format of choice and apart from 2 minutes on Day of the tentacle then Ive not bothered

I don't think I ever did until The Walking Dead and lately The Wolf Among Us. I have no interest in going back to the accepted classics though since the obtuse "use the horn to scare the chicken which will run off and knock over a paint can that rolls down the hill into the water and makes a ripple that scares the fish off so you can pick up the key" style puzzles hold no interest for me
I love the Walking Dead series and graphic novels and yes I did say im not interested in FPS but WD (Survival instinct) is the only one that has held my interest since Black on PS2. Ive avoided the Walking Dead adventure games for the same reason I guess Ive avoided other games of their type - yet I keep wondering if Im missing something. Are they a good accompaniment to the source material , I could probably give it a chance if it compliments the series/books.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 pm

I've neve5 played a hentai game.

Except for that one Dreamcast download.

Tbh, I think I've played every genre at least a bit, long enough to know I did't lke those I don't play much.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Probably subscription based MMO's like World Of Warcraft, the whole concept just doesn't interest me at all.