Amiga Game Encyclopaedia Work in Progress - Help somewhere i

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Drisk

Amiga Game Encyclopaedia Work in Progress - Help somewhere i

Post by Drisk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 am

All as I love my days on the Amiga I thought it would be pretty cool to start cataloging all the games. I have tried to upload it on here but I dont think the Retro Gamer doesnt like the 41Mb size :-) (tried zipping and only shave 2mb off it)... Does anyone no anywhere I can upload it for free everybody? ... Please note this is a Work in progress so missing any intro and proof read etc

Anyway I am doing it for a bit of fun and at my own pace. But if people enjoy it as I do then thats great :-)

Its designed specifically to work with my Kindle HD, but being A4 size pages it should look really good on most tablets.

Anyway enjoy and I would love everyones feedback.

PS I just bought a Competition Pro USB joystick from ebay and can I say it is the only way to play Amiga games on a PC for the full experience :D :D

Drisk

Re: Amiga Game Encyclopaedia Work in Progress - Help somewhe

Post by Drisk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 am

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/cb ... 633/5b7311

I have tried uploading it here.. Just typed in Free Transfer file and this one came up.. if anyone has any better place to upload it then let me know.

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

Works when I try it for me.. Let me know if ok if anyone tries it... If anyone tries it I would love to hear your views.. I am enjoying doing the book and I am only doing it for fun (good way of playing all the Amiga Games and finding hidden gems) .. But of course it will take me a lot of time... so if everyone is not interested bothering to read it (will only do this for free) then I probably wont bother.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Download works fine for me. I was a tad suspicious when the site asked me to agree to stuff, but it does seem to be a safe site to use and gave me the PDF without any issues.

Only had a quick skim so far, lots of pictures and nice big text that should be readable on a smalllish screen.

Don't like the intro text being centred, it looks wrong, but you correct that on the following pages. Otherwise, looking good at first glance, there's obviously a lot of work gone into it.

Hopefully plenty of others will download it and chip in with comments and corrections for you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for looking Antiriad2097 I really appreciate it.. oh yes its completely unfinished on the intro.. plan to do that at end.. My main thing is to get feedback from people as although I am doing it for free as a bit of a hobby.. I dont want to get to Z and then be told it was a waste of time by everyone. .. So I would love feedback now to get opinions from everyone.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Yeah, nice work Drisk! I also just had a quick look but it's looking good so far! :D

Always happy to see new books/pdfs like this, especially if it's for a system I've only played a select few games on! This should help me find a few hidden gems on Amiga to give a play someday! :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks deadpan666 for the encouragement. Yes its part of the reason I started doing this as I havent found anything on Amiga games and there are so many great titles and I have so many fond memories playing them.

As mentioned if anyone knows a good place to upload these... I would love if Retro Gamer would allow me to upload the books on the site when I do them here :D :D

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Had a quick look, seems you have put a lot of effort into it, even though all the info is available on Lemon Amiga or Hall of light websites, its still handy for a quick scroll through on my ipad.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Couldn't download using Chrome or the native Asus browser on Android. Download starts, but ends up with a gibberishly named bin file instead of the PDF.

Downloading via Firefox beta sorted it out.

Looks very good on a tablet, I must say.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:52 am

Drisk wrote:Thanks for looking Antiriad2097 I really appreciate it.. oh yes its completely unfinished on the intro.. plan to do that at end.. My main thing is to get feedback from people as although I am doing it for free as a bit of a hobby.. I dont want to get to Z and then be told it was a waste of time by everyone. .. So I would love feedback now to get opinions from everyone.
What a terrific share, thank you so much for that. I would definitely be happy to download right through to Z. The Amiga 500 is my joint favourite platform of all time (shared with the Super NES), and although I no longer own an Amiga, I play WinUAEX on my modded Xbox and WinUAE on my Laptop frequently.

Good work!

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks Sephiroth81 and everyone for the kind feedback. I am rattling my way through doing it ... Well just reached Better Dead than Alien currently. When I reach Z I plan to then go back and add a History on the Amiga and also cover indepth on some of the key developers and publishers of the time. as I do each letter I will post up here and then of course give the final polished volumes at the end.

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 pm

By the way I have an Amiga 500 , Amiga 1200 and CD32 still in my retro collection, although for the book I used WinUAE. Getting a CD32 machine is great as it is easy to have backups of your games with no protection on the discs..so a straight image burn onto a CDR will give you some of the best Amiga Games around.

Incidentally I have just bought a
SPEEDLINK Competition Pro Retro USB Gaming PC Joystick off of ebay and it is great to really capture those Amiga memories with it being a faithful reproduction of one of the best joysticks of all time...I have been really impressed with it.

Anyway all the best and if anyone fancies helping me on this daunting task of putting together an ultimate Amiga book (maybe share out the letters) then let me know.. I am only doing it in Powepoint (Arial 16) and then exporting it to PDF. Can say more details if anyone interested?

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:36 am

Hey mate. Just downloaded it and had a brief look. I think my first impression is 'WOW!'. Well done to you for having the patience to do this. It's very polished. Like the fact you've got the ads + screenshots + overviews and one line review quotes. Very good.

As someone pointed out - change the first page - you don't need centre justification on that. if you're having fun doing it and have the time & patience, I'd read it. :)

Are you planning on selling this as a publication or just putting it up on the web for anyone to download?

Drisk

Post by Drisk » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Gigifusc wrote:Hey mate. Just downloaded it and had a brief look. I think my first impression is 'WOW!'. Well done to you for having the patience to do this. It's very polished. Like the fact you've got the ads + screenshots + overviews and one line review quotes. Very good.

As someone pointed out - change the first page - you don't need centre justification on that. if you're having fun doing it and have the time & patience, I'd read it. :)

Are you planning on selling this as a publication or just putting it up on the web for anyone to download?
Hi Gigifusc, no my plan was togive for free.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Sounds great. Have had amazing fun fun on the Amiga, brilliant computer with fanatstic games, but a big library, so you have your work cut out for sure.

I tried to download but get a message saying it is no longer available for download?