Most unforgiving jumps in games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Most unforgiving jumps in games?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

I've been playing through Bujingai Swordmaster for the PS2 and there are so many frustrating jumps that involve wall running/wall jumping/air dashing combos and others that you can literally only just make i.e. jumping from the very edge of a platform and grabbing hold of the next one by the character's fingertips. This game and some of it's jumps/platformey bits have made me curse at the TV a lot (for the first time in a while) :lol:

Bujingai has certainly brought back memories of other games with ridiculously unforgiving or insane jumps. I know there are many games in the 8 and 16bit era that would fall into this category but what are everybody else's most memorable single jumps or games full of tough jumps?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Re: Most unforgiving jumps in games?

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:29 pm

The Dock in Revenge of Shinobi. The whole level is a nightmare but there is one long jump in particular that caused rage quits and controller damage. The rest of the game was great but that one part - even with the jump magic - just sucked so much. When I submitted a guide to Mean Machines Sega I played that level to death to find all its secrets but never did I die more than the long jump bit.

To this day still more challenging than the waterfall level jumps.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:48 pm

In particular i was playing Captain Silver on the Master System the other day. Ended up turning it off because i couldn't get past a fountain. Not an enemy, a fountain that i could not jump over.

I always disliked Tomb Raider games as I'd always fluff the jumps

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Hunchback

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Bounty Bob Strikes back

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 pm

koopa42 wrote:Hunchback
No need for personal insults. :D

Though I would agree on Hunchback. Seems harder now im older - fnar fnar.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Turok The Dinosaur Hunter on the N64 had a horrible part where you had to jump from pillar to pillar to pillar to pillar to pillar.............

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Legendary axe 2 on the PCE, near to the last boss. It was nothing much in terms of distance but if you time it wrong your character would bang his head on the ceiling above and miss the platform on the other side. Now timing the jump was a lottery at best, I wasted dozens of life's on this! And to make matters more frustrating the restart point was a fair way back. The level was difficult enough as it was lol.

Lots of rage quits and head butted controllers :twisted:

Eat your nans pants

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Lord Innit wrote:Turok The Dinosaur Hunter on the N64 had a horrible part where you had to jump from pillar to pillar to pillar to pillar to pillar.............
Absolutely! This game was one of the most frustrating games that I have ever played, even more so considering the price point.

To have to perform one or two precise, and they were extremely precise jumps was one thing, but to have to do over a dozen faultlessly was way beyond my patience barrier.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:28 pm

shiftytigger wrote:The Dock in Revenge of Shinobi. The whole level is a nightmare but there is one long jump in particular that caused rage quits and controller damage. The rest of the game was great but that one part - even with the jump magic - just sucked so much. When I submitted a guide to Mean Machines Sega I played that level to death to find all its secrets but never did I die more than the long jump bit.

So there's worse to come AFTER the waterfall? Terrific :(

There's a level in that new Splatterhouse game, a building site or something, where you just fall through the floor every so often. I wouldn't mind, seeing as "lives" aren't a thing in games anymore, but there's the lengthy death animation and then the two minutes of loading in between each slip-up - ALMOST a game-ruiner!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

This jump in Dan Dare Pilot of the Future on the Spectrum, was the most frustrating part of my entire childhood!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm

There's quite a few in Manic Miner but Eugene's Lair was always a particular swine for me iirc. One jump towards the bottom on the right hand side has to be pixel perfect and you have no run up as you're against the edge of the screen and on a single blue block. Was always extremely tricky to pull off with the dead flesh keyboard. Must be said it seems easier on a modern computer.

sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:The Dock in Revenge of Shinobi. The whole level is a nightmare but there is one long jump in particular that caused rage quits and controller damage. The rest of the game was great but that one part - even with the jump magic - just sucked so much. When I submitted a guide to Mean Machines Sega I played that level to death to find all its secrets but never did I die more than the long jump bit.

So there's worse to come AFTER the waterfall? Terrific :(
I knew id talked about that with someone. The dock has a jump that requires a precise leap over distance rather than height so the jump magic doesnt help. Also the ninjas leaping out of the water dont help.

Would be higher in my favourite MD games list but those 2 jumps can really take it out of you. Best thing to do is spend a while grabbing the 2 lives at the start of the factory level, most of the time dying as you get them. Its slow but easy way to build up lives.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Dragon Ninja (Bad dudes Vs) on the Amiga!! purely due to the controls been so awful it made it near impossible to jump over holes etc. :(
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

william

Post by william » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Jumping the mines on the first level on Dynamic's game 'Navy Moves'