best update/reboot

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

Re: best update/reboot

Post by junkmale » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Been playing 'The Great Giana Sisters' reboot on the PC over Christmas and am really enjoying it.
Mixed reviews in the press but i think it's pretty good.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 am

There have been a lot of good calls in this thread, especially the Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube, last year's Tomb Raider, and I'm especially enjoyint Sega's 3D classics on the 3DS right now.

I'd also like to throw NBA Jam On Fire Edition in the mix too - it plays great and brings back all the best elements - comedy, monster dunks and great power ups. The commentator is hilarious too
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 am

rossi46 wrote:Bionic Commando, however, could've been brilliant except for the tricky controls. Gorgeous to look at, but a pig to play.
If you mean the full retail one (and not the XBLA versions) then yeah I quite liked that one. It was a bit awkward at times but it felt a bit different to other console action games. Just Cause 2 went on to do something similar but that was just a tech demo with no real game to it.

Pac-Man: CE and Pac-Man: CE DX were amazing reboots/updates.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 am

As well as Tomb Raider I'm loving the updated versions of Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion and Flashback at the moment.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a new or some updated Dizzy games too.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Lost Dragon wrote:Far Cry 3 is the closest thing i've played (on console at least) to the ST/Amiga classics, Midwinter 1+2 (Midwinter III was planned for PS2, guess never got beyond concept).Huge game world, various means of transport etc and all bloody great.
Neither an update nor a reboot though.

Bionic Commando, however, could've been brilliant except for the tricky controls. Gorgeous to look at, but a pig to play.
True, hence thinking i should have put it in 'tother thread to start with.Would have loved to see true update on PS2.

Was talk of a remake:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/02/m ... emake.html

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Andrew_version1 wrote:I'd have to vote Outrun 2 as the best update to a classic game (albeit a sequel)

Also very fond of castlevania lord of shadows - great way to bring the franchise back for modern gamers
^^ this.

And maybe Sega Rally? I'm never giving up hope for Black Tiger.

Yep have to agree. I never realised just how broken (gameplay wise) the original was til I played this. Still the smae smooth tunes, updated graphics and infinitely superior gameplay (albeit a little on the easy side)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 am

As mention the recent X-Com update was superb. Although why they had to release another game in the series which was a FPS fathoms me - I suppose it is because of commercial pressures.

It'll be interesting to see the recent update of Putty(I have a PC, not a PS3 or Xbox you see).

One reboot that I thought was superb was Hostile Waters on the PC. It was an update of Carrier Command, and it's on GoG. It is just so much better than the recent Carrier Command : Gaea Mission update. In another league. Unfortunately it didn't sell well. A real shame. It even features the voices of Tom Baker and Paul Darrow.