Classics you should have played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Re: Classics you should have played

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 am

Any of the Final Fantasy games.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

look at it sideways wrote:There are quite a few classic Lucasart adventures I really should get round to trying - their Indiana Jones adventure games, Zak McKracken (sp?), Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Full Throttle to name a few. Being a massive Monkey Island and Grim Fandango fan I'd imagine I'd enjoy them. I'm never sure whether they'll work with my high end computer or not. Curse of Monkey Island actually cost me my CD drive when I bought it, with the CD exploding into bits when I used it.
I can relate to that. I moved straight from my old Speccy onto consoles (Game Boy, NES SNES, Mega Drive and so on) back in the early 1990's so I've missed out on pretty much every point and click game bar a scant few that were ported to consoles like Maniac Mansion...I only played Monkey Island for the very first time when it arrived on XBLA. So almost anything that was regarded as a classic on Atari ST, Amiga or PC during the late 1980's/1990's, I've never played, and even now I still can't get into point and click adventures much when I try to play them because it's a very 'alien' genre to me.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 am

look at it sideways wrote:There are quite a few classic Lucasart adventures I really should get round to trying - their Indiana Jones adventure games, Zak McKracken (sp?), Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Full Throttle to name a few. Being a massive Monkey Island and Grim Fandango fan I'd imagine I'd enjoy them. I'm never sure whether they'll work with my high end computer or not. Curse of Monkey Island actually cost me my CD drive when I bought it, with the CD exploding into bits when I used it.

Full Throttle is a fantastic game.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 am

I never had a PS1 back in the day (I went with the N64) so I missed out on a few like Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout, The 'Metroidvania' Castlevania games, Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross..

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

Full Throttle is a fantastic game.

Its ace and can also be completed in one sitting!

I've never really given any final fantasy game more than 30 minutes if that counts. I also had never even played castlevania 4 on the snes until recently too. There are far too many games i havent played, depends on what you would call classics really

chiptraxxx

Post by chiptraxxx » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 am

I never played Moneky island but im gonna some day =)

im saving it :D

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Like Toxie, I never had an ST or Amiga back in the day, and just played the odd game when I went round to mates' houses, so there's a few classics on those systems I've never played. Likewise with early PC stuff...I've just downloaded Planescape Torment from GOG and giving that a bash for the first time, for instance!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Elite
Radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Skyrim
Final Fantasy 1-5 and 9
Vandal Hearts
Nights
Any Ultima game
Super Mario Galaxy
Any Monkey Island game
Shenmue
The Last of Us
Heavy Rain
World of Warcraft

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 am

Unchartered 2 - PS3. I own it as well.

Grim Fandango - PC. I think had is been available to play on SCUMM emulators, this would not be on the list anymore.

Command & Conquer series - any platform.

Civilization - multiformat

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn. Just bought a Saturn, but I refuse to pay the kind of prices expected to fetch for this game, regardless of how good it is. I'm miffed it hasn't been made available yet on Xbox Live or PSN. The combination of that, and the fact that Saturn emulation is censored-poor makes me think I'll never play this game ever.