Retro/modern equivalents

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nemesis

Re: Retro/modern equivalents

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Asteroids to Geometry Wars
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Depends on the perspective. You could say that Gears of War is the modern equivalent of Contra, but then Contra 4 exists. You could say Lost Planet is the modern equivalent to Mega Man, but then this exists. You could say Bayonetta is the modern equivalent of Shinobi, but then Shinobi for 3DS does exist. And we could say that CoD and BF are the modern equivalents to Space Invaders and Galaga, but Resogun exists. So it really comes down to perspective. It's not necessary that those classic games were "replaced" by different games, they just became a bit less prominent.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Depends on the perspective. You could say that Gears of War is the modern equivalent of Contra, but then Contra 4 exists. You could say Lost Planet is the modern equivalent to Mega Man, but then this exists. You could say Bayonetta is the modern equivalent of Shinobi, but then Shinobi for 3DS does exist. And we could say that CoD and BF are the modern equivalents to Space Invaders and Galaga, but Resogun exists. So it really comes down to perspective. It's not necessary that those classic games were "replaced" by different games, they just became a bit less prominent.
Abosultely , some games are still going and there's no need so find some thin like them when you can just play the game's sequels or prequels.

My thinking was just what if there are no obvious sequels or prequels? It would be nice to be aware of similar games, either modern or retro.

A sub-point would be perhaps at their heart modern games really aren't so different to retro games and vice-versa, or at least what we want from games isn't so different, essentially we want to race things really fast, slay dragons, explore space and shoot things in the face. :lol:

Perhasps it shows that gaming goes full circle, gameplay-wise and thematically?

Just some ideas.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:50 am

pratty wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Depends on the perspective. You could say that Gears of War is the modern equivalent of Contra, but then Contra 4 exists. You could say Lost Planet is the modern equivalent to Mega Man, but then this exists. You could say Bayonetta is the modern equivalent of Shinobi, but then Shinobi for 3DS does exist. And we could say that CoD and BF are the modern equivalents to Space Invaders and Galaga, but Resogun exists. So it really comes down to perspective. It's not necessary that those classic games were "replaced" by different games, they just became a bit less prominent.
Abosultely , some games are still going and there's no need so find some thin like them when you can just play the game's sequels or prequels.

My thinking was just what if there are no obvious sequels or prequels? It would be nice to be aware of similar games, either modern or retro.

A sub-point would be perhaps at their heart modern games really aren't so different to retro games and vice-versa, or at least what we want from games isn't so different, essentially we want to race things really fast, slay dragons, explore space and shoot things in the face. :lol:

Perhasps it shows that gaming goes full circle, gameplay-wise and thematically?

Just some ideas.
Well, I guess from this perspective Star Citizen will be the modern-day re-birth of Elite.

Sure, most of the things we are seeing now were already attempted at one point or another, the difference is just that the technology and development budgets are a lot higher now.

Which really makes it odd why there's so little experimentation in high-production games.

But then we have to factor in the risk of low sales which may explain why more devs choose the "safe" path.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:03 am

Except how is lost planet in any way shape or form anything like a megaman game and Contra like Gears of war. I just do not see any thing that would make me think they are equivalents of those games at all.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is a bit like a modern Chase HQ.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:30 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

Except how is lost planet in any way shape or form anything like a megaman game and Contra like Gears of war. I just do not see any thing that would make me think they are equivalents of those games at all.

Like I said, depends on perspective. You could say they are for today's times what Mega Man and Contra were for their times. Then there's also Vanquish which could be seen as a "modernized Mega Man" and to make things even more interesting they had plans to make a Mega Man FPS shooter which was canned. Here you can see some pics of it:

http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content/up ... 40x354.jpg

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... reboot.jpg

If something doesn't appear like something at the first glance does not mean it does not bear any resemblance to it. But like I said, it depends entirely on perspective.

p.s.: I personally always viewed Jet Force Gemini as a "Mega Man tribute" of sorts.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 am

Pong = Fifa 14
Scott me up beamie!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:35 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:Pong = Fifa 14
PONG is tennis not football

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Scratch_Porkings wrote:Pong = Fifa 14
PONG is tennis not football
Football was like setting 4 on my old Pong machine, tennis - hockey - something - then football. And it had a gun to shoot a white dot with.
Scott me up beamie!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Ico PS2 To Majin the forgotten Kingdom on the 360

Double Dragon arcade to a Double Dragon Neon on the 360
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:59 pm

going out on a limb here ~ Root beer tapper ~ Bentleys mini game in Sly Raccoon 4

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Swear i posted this, but it seems to have dissapeared...

Midwinter 1 and 2 to Far Cry 1-3. (Midwinter 3 planned for PS2, guess never got past concept stage).

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Well, I guess from this perspective Star Citizen will be the modern-day re-birth of Elite.

Wouldn't Elite: Dangerous be the modern-day re-birth of Elite?

Star Citizen is more of a spiritual successor too Wing Commander, Privateer, Freespace and their like.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:37 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Well, I guess from this perspective Star Citizen will be the modern-day re-birth of Elite.

Wouldn't Elite: Dangerous be the modern-day re-birth of Elite?

Star Citizen is more of a spiritual successor too Wing Commander, Privateer, Freespace and their like.
I didn't know of the existance of that project so looks like you are right.