Why does Capcom or Konami not release a kart game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Why does Capcom or Konami not release a kart game

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

I know capcom did a megaman one and Konami had crazy racers on the GBA, but considering Mariokarts success and popularity why have other companies with a large roster of characters not released similar games for other platforms.

Sega have had success with Sonic allstar racing and it just seems like a game from Konami or Capcom would be very popular and could sell well

ALK

Re: Why does Capcom or Konami not release a kart game

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Because just about everyone knows who Mario and Sonic are I guess (Sega's even has Sonic in the title). Not everyone knows who Simon Belmont, Dante or even MegaMan are.

Would appeal to those that know their gaming characters as well as us retro chaps, but little kids or casual gamers? Maybe not so much...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Mario Kart exists.

Anything else would be viewed as a cheap(?) cash in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Maybe they feel the genre has become Saturated over the years, it seems at one time every format had to have some form of a Kart Racer from Game Gear (Sonic Drift), to Jaguar (Atari Karts) to Nuon (Merlin Racing).

Then there's been:LBP Karting/Speed Freaks/Crash Team Racing/Mod Nation Racers/Chocobo Racing/Bomberman Racing/Jak X Combat RacingDiddy Kong Racing, South Park Rally, M+M's Kart Racing...list goes on and on and on.

Not to say if a more original approach taken, likes of Capcom or Konami could'nt pull something special out of the bag, they'd just need to re-invent the genre to really stand out, in my humble view.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:Maybe they feel the genre has become Saturated over the years, it seems at one time every format had to have some form of a Kart Racer from Game Gear (Sonic Drift), to Jaguar (Atari Karts) to Nuon (Merlin Racing).

Then there's been:LBP Karting/Speed Freaks/Crash Team Racing/Mod Nation Racers/Chocobo Racing/Bomberman Racing/Jak X Combat RacingDiddy Kong Racing, South Park Rally, M+M's Kart Racing...list goes on and on and on.

Not to say if a more original approach taken, likes of Capcom or Konami could'nt pull something special out of the bag, they'd just need to re-invent the genre to really stand out, in my humble view.
Thing is most of the games you mentioned were from the generation before last and not actually very good. not a huge amount came out last gen, and even fewer good ones.

As for saturation, considering there are dozens of games come out for other genres I am sure the market can handle a couple of good kart games.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Mario Kart exists.

But Mariokart is unavailable on certain platforms leaving a gap in the market.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Sonic and sega allstars racing transformed exists.

Fixed that for you. ;)
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes. Capcom should make a Street Fighter kart racer.

I demand to see Sagat cramped inside a small "kart", driving erratically while trying to avoid the many melons and bananas Blanka has left littered across the track

That just sounds like a recipe for AWESOME.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I must admit to not being a fan of the genre.Mention previous attempts on older platformers, as often heard publishers say theywon't bring new instalments of existing games or produce more in that genre as the 'market has passed on' and so they would'nt get a return on their investments.

Never seen sales figures for more modern stuff like LBP Karting or Sonic Allstar Racing, so i'm just making guess work here.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:05 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Mario Kart exists.

But Mariokart is unavailable on certain platforms leaving a gap in the market.
Does it? Don't the gamers who want a kart racer own Mario Kart on at least one of its many platforms?

They don't seem to have evolved at all beyond the move to true 3D for the courses.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 pm

If Capcom did one then I'd probably be interested as they have a lot of franchises/games to draw characters from and so many stages/levels that they could transform into circuits with clever remixes of the appropriate tunes. It would probably be DLCed to oblivion though and be 90% Street Fighter characters.

Mario Kart DS was the last MK game I truly enjoyed. Double Dash was a laugh in multiplayer but just annoying and floaty in single player. I hated the motion controls in the Wii game and didn't enjoy the tracks even when playing with a GC pad while MK7 on the 3DS was a good game but just didnt excite me for some reason.

Have to agree that Sonic Transformed was a true Mario Kart-beater for me and the last kart game that I really enjoyed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm

If they could use the F1 Race Stars engine, it could work. One of the freshest kart-style racers I have played in a while.
Going Solo...................

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:45 pm

I guess MS could make a "Banjo Racing" type game (Sega All-Star Racing on X360 featured Banjo as an exclusive character) but it seems only Nintendo and Sega are still committed to making great "karting" games. There's also Sony's Mod Nation Racers but that game was over-shadowed by Mario Kart. I must say Mario Kart 8 looks pretty nice and fun though.

Has a F-Zero kinda feel with all those twisted tracks and hoover-karts.

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm

All up for a game with an FZeroX or FZeroGX feel and I'm sure Capcom could deliver. As long as they weren't piloted by Ryu, Ken Blanka etc... That would be ridiculous!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Quality title it is too. Got it with my GBA. :)
Logged out 15/07/2014.