Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spacepatrol

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Post by Spacepatrol » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:50 am

I picked this up the other day in the Steam sale and I have to say it is one of the best gaming experiences I have had in years. Yes, the game may be short (It took me 3.5 hours), and the controls are sometimes confusing, but the atmosphere, environments and characters really engaged me. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone, but you must play it through until the end. It is so nice that the developers tried something different and really managed to pull it off.

I highly recommend this game to everyone, especially fans of Ico.

Negative Creep

Re: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:58 am

Got it on the 360 sale recently and I'd also highly recommend it. Perfect example of how you can tell a great story without needing dialogue or text

Gren

Re: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Post by Gren » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Absolutely agree. :D
I also picked it up in the Steam sale - I'd had my eye on it for a while after TotalBiscuit's enthusiastic review.

Started playing it this morning, and played it for 90 minutes - really enjoyed the 2 character puzzles. Not too taxing or unfair, but some great ideas well executed. I got the hang of the 360 pad dual controls quite quickly - felt quite natural after a little while.

Tonight I played it for a couple more hours and have now finished it, and can honestly say that I've enjoyed it more than most games of the past few years 8)

Summary :-
Nice length of only 3-4 hours (I'm bored easily and can't stand games that outstay their welcome).
Not too challenging, but still ideas and puzzles that make you think.
Gorgeous environments, characters and artwork.
Some stunning atmospheric and evocative music.
Surprisingly heart-warming and well told story - with a great ending.

Buy it and play it :wink:
Fresh Spoo?