Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
James A
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by James A » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Yes I think there is. I've had mine for just over a month and im really enjoying it. It might not have the triple A titles or cutting edge graphics of the two new machines but there is a certain charm to it. Im finding the pad very useful for playing games or watching Netflix when the missus has the TV on.
Image

pratty
Posts: 5630
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 pm

James A wrote:It might not have the triple A titles....
This is my point though, we all know what we mean by AAA games, but what are they really, what does that even mean and why does it matter? (rhetorical question, not aimed at you James :wink: )

Aren't they just the games that we're told we should play? Why shouldn't somebody own a console for games like Sin and punishment and A Little Kings Story, instead of GTA or COD? They got similar review scores, if not better.
sirpigmeat wrote:No more heroes and monster hunter were great... I don't know maybe my idea of the wii is a little skewed, I got alot of enjoyment outta it but I just don't have the love for it that I had for the Gamecube/N64/Snes/Nes...
Maybe it's just other factors, maybe it was just a more exciting time in your life gaming wise, or otherwise? (I know I did a lot more local multiplayer back in the days of the Snes N64 and Gamecube.) I do think the Wii's games were up to par with the Gamecubes overall. I know what you mean about those great third party exclusives like Goldeneye and Eternal Darkness, but I think the Wii had it's fair share of those too, things like Sin and Punishment and A Little kings Story, whether you think they were as good is entirely subjective though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
crusto wrote: But the minute I tried to play a "real game" I completely lost interest. Top quality titles like SMG 1 and 2, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Resi 4 all sit unplayed for months at a time because of a control method I cannot stand.

I have tried my best a number of times to put my hatred of the wiimote to one side and persevere but I simply can't do it. I am a sit down gamer by default and I can't change.
:? Can you not play Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda or Resi 4 on the Wii sitting down? I've managed it, from beginning to end on all of those games.

I find it really strange that people who play games using the Wii remote seem to feel compelled to stand up and wave their arms around like a madman when the games don't actually require that level of input from the player at all.
Negative Creep wrote:Exactly the same for me. There are plenty of great games for it, but all I could ever think when trying them was that I wish I could just use a proper controller instead. It's fine for Wii Sports but I just find it a massive hindrance for the likes of Metroid Prime
I found Metroid Prime 2 much easier and more enjoyable to play through on the Wii after the initial 10 mins of getting used to the controls. Much, much easier to look around and scan the environments. It's genuinely interesting to me how many people seem to be able to adapt to different control schemes fairly easily, yet many others can't once they've been taught one way of doing things.
With resi 4 I'm always having to point my wiimote at the screen to aim, with smg I'm having to shake the wiimote for the spin attack, so yeah I may be sitting down but I'm not as comfortable as I want to be. I like to be sat, fully relaxed with my controller wherever it's comfortable. I just can't get on with the wiimote, try as I might. I hate it.

Great console, dreadful controls. All they had to do was keep traditional methods alongside the gimmick method..
Image

Eat your nans pants

Gigifusc
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:04 pm

I'll echo what many people have said above in that the Wii U is an excellent console tech wise. I love the game pad & wish publishers would see the potential of the whole thing. Unfortunately, most publishers are just follow companies and the minute EA pulled out, they all did. The idea being 'if EA can't make money from it then we definitely can't '. Which is of course utter, utter BS.

As for Nintendo - they will continue to be successful on the Wii U. Many 3rd parties probably Wont be. The biggest problem is the small user base - which us actually Nintendo's own fault due to their truly awful messaging and marketing of the console and the fact they left if almost a year without hardly any games.

To answer the OP's question. I think the Wii U will go the same way as the N64 & Gamecube. Decent 1st party games and several decent 3rd party ones. It will be a 2nd or 3rd console for most but enough people want to play Nintendo's games to keep them going until the next gen in about 4/5 years time.

Also forgot to say that the 3DS will also keep their coffers full enough to maintain them.

User avatar
sirpigmeat
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 am

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:23 pm

pratty wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:No more heroes and monster hunter were great... I don't know maybe my idea of the wii is a little skewed, I got alot of enjoyment outta it but I just don't have the love for it that I had for the Gamecube/N64/Snes/Nes...
Maybe it's just other factors, maybe it was just a more exciting time in your life gaming wise, or otherwise? (I know I did a lot more local multiplayer back in the days of the Snes N64 and Gamecube.) I do think the Wii's games were up to par with the Gamecubes overall. I know what you mean about those great third party exclusives like Goldeneye and Eternal Darkness, but I think the Wii had it's fair share of those too, things like Sin and Punishment and A Little kings Story, whether you think they were as good is entirely subjective though.
Yeah I guess it could be something like that... I'll have to admit to not trying Little Kings story or Sin and Punishment... have to give them a go, seeing as your so insistent! :D Maybe i'll become a posthumous wii cheerleader!

pratty
Posts: 5630
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by pratty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
pratty wrote:
sirpigmeat wrote:No more heroes and monster hunter were great... I don't know maybe my idea of the wii is a little skewed, I got alot of enjoyment outta it but I just don't have the love for it that I had for the Gamecube/N64/Snes/Nes...
Maybe it's just other factors, maybe it was just a more exciting time in your life gaming wise, or otherwise? (I know I did a lot more local multiplayer back in the days of the Snes N64 and Gamecube.) I do think the Wii's games were up to par with the Gamecubes overall. I know what you mean about those great third party exclusives like Goldeneye and Eternal Darkness, but I think the Wii had it's fair share of those too, things like Sin and Punishment and A Little kings Story, whether you think they were as good is entirely subjective though.
Yeah I guess it could be something like that... I'll have to admit to not trying Little Kings story or Sin and Punishment... have to give them a go, seeing as your so insistent! :D Maybe i'll become a posthumous wii cheerleader!
I wouldn't insist, play want you want mate. :D

I've not played S&P myself, I'm just using it as an exmaple of a quality Wii third party exclusive. I'm just pointing out it's a bit short sighted for people in general to just go by "AAA" titles, when the lesser prominent games are just as capable of being just as good, if not more so. I literally cannot find a bad review of Sin and Punishment or Little King's Story. (I personally own 30 or so well reviewed games for the Wii, not just good in my opinion but good in the opinion of knowledgable professional games reviewers, so it's just laughable for someone to say the Wii had no good games.)

Though frankly some of these games don't appeal to a lot of people, which is fair enough, LKS didn't appeal to me initially, maybe they are a bit niche, the irony of it though is it's the supposed "hardcore" gamers that are turning their noses up at niche games like that in favor of the safer, hyped up, mainstrea, blockbusters.

You mentioned Eternal Darkness, wasn't really considered AAA was it? And yet how bloody awesome was it? It was a damn good reason to own a Gamecube. Likewise I'm sure the Wii-U, just like the Wii, will have many overlooked quality games to fill the space between the Marios and the CODs.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Lets also not forget Zelda: Hyrule Warriors (or whatever it's eventually going to be called) that's been announced
I'm not impressed by that game though.
Doesn't mean a lot of other people don't like the look of it, and if that's not for you then there's plenty of other Wii U games to choose from.

All we've seen of Hyrule Warriors so far is a very early video and the actual game title isn't even confirmed....could turn out to be different from what we're expecting, so who knows?

If you want Wind Waker meets Assassins Creed, then you could do a lot worse than check out Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. :wink:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
sirpigmeat
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 am

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by sirpigmeat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 am

pratty wrote:the irony of it though is it's the supposed "hardcore" gamers that are turning their noses up at niche games like that in favor of the safer, hyped up, mainstream, blockbusters.
Yeah, the games industry is a little backwards as a medium when it comes down it... The people who pat themselves on the back and look down their noses at other gamers the most are the ones who play the most mainstream titles and have one of the narrowest breadths of game knowledge... Its like people reading Stephen King looking down on people reading Dickens... "Hey, Dickens is ok but he didn't put out any triple A books"... "Forget niche stuff like Robert Johnson, i'm listening to 1 direction, their triple A!"... And spending a hundred hours playing COD is somehow worthwhile and makes you hardcore and 100 hours playing tetris is a waste of time and makes you casual.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:47 pm

crusto wrote:
With resi 4 I'm always having to point my wiimote at the screen to aim, with smg I'm having to shake the wiimote for the spin attack, so yeah I may be sitting down but I'm not as comfortable as I want to be. I like to be sat, fully relaxed with my controller wherever it's comfortable. I just can't get on with the wiimote, try as I might. I hate it.

Great console, dreadful controls. All they had to do was keep traditional methods alongside the gimmick method..

It's Nintendo. They've been obsessed with gimmicks since.... well, since forever. ROB, for instance, or the Power Glove (and it's monstrosity of an assemblage that needed to go on your TV to work.... I have one of these, it's harder to set up than it looks!), or the E-Reader, or the Super Scope, or....

Really, I wish they'd get some different business ideals already. If that's the right term, I'm not entirely awake yet. Nintendo has always seemed to have this idea that if it doesnt somewhere have some sort of gimmick, it cant possibly be all that good or sell well. Unfortunately, with the Wii it wasnt just some sort of peripheral, it was the ENTIRE MACHINE.

Either way, I can echo your thoughts on this one. Even I had at least a couple of games that I'd had interest in with that thing.... but the nightmare controls from hell utterly killed them for me. The Wii U doesnt have that issue... but sadly, it also doesnt have much in the way of games.


Also, this topic.... just..... how..... Atari? What?

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:41 am

Misery wrote:
crusto wrote:
With resi 4 I'm always having to point my wiimote at the screen to aim, with smg I'm having to shake the wiimote for the spin attack, so yeah I may be sitting down but I'm not as comfortable as I want to be. I like to be sat, fully relaxed with my controller wherever it's comfortable. I just can't get on with the wiimote, try as I might. I hate it.

Great console, dreadful controls. All they had to do was keep traditional methods alongside the gimmick method..

It's Nintendo. They've been obsessed with gimmicks since.... well, since forever. ROB, for instance, or the Power Glove (and it's monstrosity of an assemblage that needed to go on your TV to work.... I have one of these, it's harder to set up than it looks!), or the E-Reader, or the Super Scope, or....

Really, I wish they'd get some different business ideals already. If that's the right term, I'm not entirely awake yet. Nintendo has always seemed to have this idea that if it doesnt somewhere have some sort of gimmick, it cant possibly be all that good or sell well. Unfortunately, with the Wii it wasnt just some sort of peripheral, it was the ENTIRE MACHINE.

Either way, I can echo your thoughts on this one. Even I had at least a couple of games that I'd had interest in with that thing.... but the nightmare controls from hell utterly killed them for me. The Wii U doesnt have that issue... but sadly, it also doesnt have much in the way of games.


Also, this topic.... just..... how..... Atari? What?

Its just a pity Nintendo have not realised that all people ever wanted was a HD decent specced Nintendo machine with a standard controllers and updates of all the nintendo franchises eith a couple of new IPs.

Typical Nintendo overthinking things when all gamers wanted was something simple.

I mean, really, the controller for the Wii U. Just how much has that added to the costy of the console and how much could they have released the machine with a standard controller.

I am worried about how much it will cost to replace one it it breaks, some places are £90.

they should have just released the sytem with standard controller at a really low price and made sure it came with a few big hitters from the Nintnedo catalogue and IMO they would have much healthier sales figures.

+

ciderman
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by ciderman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 am

Regarding one element of the OP
CoD:Ghosts is out for the WiiU and it's still uninspiring.
But then I have played it on the Xbox One as well and it's not much better.
That said, the series has rapidly been going down the tubes for a while now, becoming less and less relevant to me at least.
The WiiU has rapidly become the most played machine in the house over the last few months.
Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World and my Wii collection of games are getting a lot of play.
This coming year is looking like it's going to be a good one too.
I agree also that the WiiU is going to be the 2nd console of choice for most households, with the Xbox One and PS4, exclusives aside, becoming reflections of each other with broadly the same games on each and little to choose between them.
So, the WiiU may not have stormed the charts as it's predecessor did, but I expect it to become more a fixture in homes as time goes on.
A physical release of WiiU Sports and a pack in of the same may well sell a shed load in Christmas '14 too.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

pratty
Posts: 5630
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by pratty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Misery wrote:It's Nintendo. They've been obsessed with gimmicks since.... well, since forever. ROB, for instance, or the Power Glove (and it's monstrosity of an assemblage that needed to go on your TV to work.... I have one of these, it's harder to set up than it looks!), or the E-Reader, or the Super Scope, or....

Really, I wish they'd get some different business ideals already. If that's the right term, I'm not entirely awake yet. Nintendo has always seemed to have this idea that if it doesnt somewhere have some sort of gimmick, it cant possibly be all that good or sell well. Unfortunately, with the Wii it wasnt just some sort of peripheral, it was the ENTIRE MACHINE.
Its just a pity Nintendo have not realised that all people ever wanted was a HD decent specced Nintendo machine with a standard controllers and updates of all the nintendo franchises eith a couple of new IPs.

Typical Nintendo overthinking things when all gamers wanted was something simple.... they should have just released the sytem with standard controller at a really low price and made sure it came with a few big hitters from the Nintnedo catalogue and IMO they would have much healthier sales figures.
Yeah but the Wii and Wii-U's distinctive features made them stand out against the competition.

If Nintendo just released a standard console people would be asking "have all the ideas dried up?", and spin it as a backwards step. The Wii controls weren't always well implemented, especially by 3rd parties, but they did provide unique gameplay experiences such as Skyward Sword, Wii Sports and Zack and Wiki, and in many people's opinion improved controls for games such as FPSs.

That said, people forget that the Wii and Wii-U both have opotional normal controllers which are compatable for many games. HD Nintendo system with a normal contoller? The Wii-U isn't as far from that as people think.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 am

pratty wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Misery wrote:It's Nintendo. They've been obsessed with gimmicks since.... well, since forever. ROB, for instance, or the Power Glove (and it's monstrosity of an assemblage that needed to go on your TV to work.... I have one of these, it's harder to set up than it looks!), or the E-Reader, or the Super Scope, or....

Really, I wish they'd get some different business ideals already. If that's the right term, I'm not entirely awake yet. Nintendo has always seemed to have this idea that if it doesnt somewhere have some sort of gimmick, it cant possibly be all that good or sell well. Unfortunately, with the Wii it wasnt just some sort of peripheral, it was the ENTIRE MACHINE.
Its just a pity Nintendo have not realised that all people ever wanted was a HD decent specced Nintendo machine with a standard controllers and updates of all the nintendo franchises eith a couple of new IPs.

Typical Nintendo overthinking things when all gamers wanted was something simple.... they should have just released the sytem with standard controller at a really low price and made sure it came with a few big hitters from the Nintnedo catalogue and IMO they would have much healthier sales figures.
Yeah but the Wii and Wii-U's distinctive features made them stand out against the competition.

If Nintendo just released a standard console people would be asking "have all the ideas dried up?", and spin it as a backwards step. The Wii controls weren't always well implemented, especially by 3rd parties, but they did provide unique gameplay experiences such as Skyward Sword, Wii Sports and Zack and Wiki, and in many people's opinion improved controls for games such as FPSs.

That said, people forget that the Wii and Wii-U both have opotional normal controllers which are compatable for many games. HD Nintendo system with a normal contoller? The Wii-U isn't as far from that as people think.

Thats true, but just how much extra has that "unique" controller added to the cost of the machine. for this gen a sub £200 at launch would have been enough of a unique feature to sell the machine.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:25 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Thats true, but just how much extra has that "unique" controller added to the cost of the machine. for this gen a sub £200 at launch would have been enough of a unique feature to sell the machine.
I'd suspect that it's probably only added a similar proportion to the cost as the inclusion of Kinect has done with the Xbox 1.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 am

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Thats true, but just how much extra has that "unique" controller added to the cost of the machine. for this gen a sub £200 at launch would have been enough of a unique feature to sell the machine.
I'd suspect that it's probably only added a similar proportion to the cost as the inclusion of Kinect has done with the Xbox 1.
I just do not think it was needed and Nintendo could have got the price right down at the beginning. look how cheap the Wii u bundles are going for now.

wii u premium pack plus mario u + luigi U for around £230

imagine they released that pack with a standard controller and no Gamepad for around £200 at launch and they would have flew of the shelves IMO.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests