Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

I think an attempt is being made to provide more mature/realistic looking games, Nintendo bought into Monolith Soft (essentially a first party dev now)and co-funded Bayonetta 2, maybe it's just not enough though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Give me Wave Race, Starfox, F-Zero, Paper Mario and a Last Story sequel and I'll buy a Wii-U. That is all.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrogamesandfilms

Post by retrogamesandfilms » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:08 am

There is room for it at the correct price point, but at the present price in the UK i'm afraid to say it will die a slow horrible death. I know Nintendo will keep it going with their releases but with 3rd party projects being cancelled on weekly basis. Nintendo really need a price drop to have any hope. They need to ditch the 8GB model and drop the 32GB to under £200. They also need to start chucking their money around at 3rd parties to at least get them interested. Microsoft and Sony do that, as the saying goes you don't turn up with a knife to a gunfight. Please Nintendo, I really want you to do well. Drop the price. Grovel to the developers and publishers.
Visit http://www.retrogamesandfilms.com for games, consoles and other retro items.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Question..

Do you think it would benefit Nintendo to have a conference this year at E3, as opposed to their big bow out last year?

Personally I think it would, but that's just me

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:Give me Wave Race, Starfox, F-Zero, Paper Mario and a Last Story sequel and I'll buy a Wii-U. That is all.
Zelda WW HD and mario land 3d have already got me looking to buy one, If I walked into a shop and Waverace, Fzero and a new starfox was available it would turn into a must have console for me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

samhain81 wrote:Question..

Do you think it would benefit Nintendo to have a conference this year at E3, as opposed to their big bow out last year?

Yeah i think they should. I think not being there sends a message that they're stepping out of the race, so to speak, sort of like out of sight - out of mind. I think it adds to the perception that there's Nintendo gamers and there's Xbox/Playstation gamers, and that a gamer is either one of the other. Even though Nintendo offer a somewhat different product, I think they should still be in the same shop window as the other manufacturers.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:09 pm

retrogamesandfilms wrote:There is room for it at the correct price point, but at the present price in the UK i'm afraid to say it will die a slow horrible death. I know Nintendo will keep it going with their releases but with 3rd party projects being cancelled on weekly basis. Nintendo really need a price drop to have any hope. They need to ditch the 8GB model and drop the 32GB to under £200. They also need to start chucking their money around at 3rd parties to at least get them interested. Microsoft and Sony do that, as the saying goes you don't turn up with a knife to a gunfight. Please Nintendo, I really want you to do well. Drop the price. Grovel to the developers and publishers.

Isn't it widely available from the likes of Argos for £180?? Am sure I saw that price.
Last edited by slacey1070 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

samhain81 wrote:Question..

I don't think it makes much of a difference. They had a presence at the show and just chose to give the big presentation entirely via video instead of having someone in person essentially introducing a series of video clips.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't think think it'll matter, but either way they do have to deliver on the reveals at least. I don't think Nintendo can afford another Wii Music/Nintendoland fireworks type of reveal this year just to be kicked in the balls by the Internet...even moreso.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

retrogamesandfilms

Post by retrogamesandfilms » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:28 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
retrogamesandfilms wrote:There is room for it at the correct price point, but at the present price in the UK i'm afraid to say it will die a slow horrible death. I know Nintendo will keep it going with their releases but with 3rd party projects being cancelled on weekly basis. Nintendo really need a price drop to have any hope. They need to ditch the 8GB model and drop the 32GB to under £200. They also need to start chucking their money around at 3rd parties to at least get them interested. Microsoft and Sony do that, as the saying goes you don't turn up with a knife to a gunfight. Please Nintendo, I really want you to do well. Drop the price. Grovel to the developers and publishers.

Isn't it wisely available from the likes of Argos for £180?? Am sure I saw that price.
You are correct, the 8GB model is £180. Still think they should drop the 8GB model and drop the 32GB to £200. Give themselves a bit of a price difference from the other new consoles and advertise the hell out of it. What do they have to lose. Looking at it another way though, saw the other day that a lot of money people reckon Sony have a 78% chance of going under this year. That's the whole of Sony, not just the console business. There share's around the world are a junk recommendation. The console side of the business is moving back into profit but the rest of Sony is dragging it down. Meanwhile read as well that Microsoft as a whole has a $300 billion warchest. Apple apparently has a $520 billion dollar warchest. That is the money they have spare which could be paid back in dividends etc. Don't think MS or Apple will go down anytime soon.
Visit http://www.retrogamesandfilms.com for games, consoles and other retro items.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Give me Wave Race, Starfox, F-Zero, Paper Mario and a Last Story sequel and I'll buy a Wii-U. That is all.
Zelda WW HD and mario land 3d have already got me looking to buy one, If I walked into a shop and Waverace, Fzero and a new starfox was available it would turn into a must have console for me.
The problem is, Blue Storm, GX and 64 3D underperformed sales-wise so Nintendo seem to view these franchises as "undesirable". Although I don't really understand why Miyamoto thinks GX can't be improved in any meaningful way. I think most of us would agree that just adding a HD makeover, an online mode, a track editor and a rear-view/first-person view would have been enough to excite the fans of the series. :wink:

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 am

Just looking at vgc console sales figures and ps4 is still 1 million units behind wiiU, which is funny
because alot of news sources seem to be saying its outsold it already... Also given the current figures
it'd take PS4 another two or three months to catch up.
Xbox is still 2.3 million behind and given the current sales would take a year and a half to catch up.
I'm sure this will change over the next few months, but it doesn't show nintendo in too bad a light
console war position wise! :)

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:02 am

I love my Wii U,
I havnt been playing it enough sadly as six day weeks takes there toll and im just to tired to play anything on my day off.

I do think there is enough room for the Wii U as its not as inferior as the Wii was and truth be told most of us on here play retro so graphics doesnt bother me.

I really hope nintendo really starts pushing for 3rd title publishers as thats where they are lacking currently( there are some but it needs more)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:45 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
The problem is, Blue Storm, GX and 64 3D underperformed sales-wise so Nintendo seem to view these franchises as "undesirable".
I know but I'd still buy them. A game made by Nintendo will usually still be to a decent quality even it underwhelms by series standards so I'd happily take the risk.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 am

Megamixer wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
The problem is, Blue Storm, GX and 64 3D underperformed sales-wise so Nintendo seem to view these franchises as "undesirable".
I know but I'd still buy them. A game made by Nintendo will usually still be to a decent quality even it underwhelms by series standards so I'd happily take the risk.
that's a good point, they are usually to a good standard overall even it its under par by its own series standards. the fact that we haven't seen any of these games anymore though makes me wonder, can nintendo still make these games? I don't doubt their talent they have working for them, but are they only good at making specific types of games?