Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lost Dragon

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 am

kelp7 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Not that I can really blame them, as most Nintendo games still have the look of the GameCube era about them, even if they're now in HD.
Now, can someone clear this up for me. Which consoles can you play HD games on ? I presume when people say 'HD', they are talking about 1080p or something?

Are there any consoles that shift 1080p graphics around?

Or does 720p count as 'HD' ?

(forgive my lack of knowledge)
I've always taken HD gaming to mean 720P or above.So that's 360, PS3, Wii U (though there are some Xbox/PS2 games that might fit also).

There are 1080P games on PS3 (not sure on 360), but they either are'nt as demmanding or use 'tricks' like resizing resolutions on the fly (Wipeout HD).

PS4 currently seems to handle Native 1080P games better than Xbox One which upscales games from 720P to 1080P.

The benchmark gfor Ps4/Xbox One gaming seems to be set at 1080P, 60 FPS, with lot of people not happing with say Club Drive running currently at 30 FPS, but has real time lighting, day-night cycle etc you won't see in Xbox One Forza, which is 1080P, 60 FOS.So, currently there's still a trade off.

Just to mess things further, Alan wake on 360, which looks stunning, is not a 'true' HD game, running only at 540P, but to me just proves how meaningless the HD arms race often is.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am

Also must worth noting that these mean "NATIVE" HD resolution....as my Xbox (original) upscales Megadrive and SNES games to 720p, but couldn't really classify that as HD :D

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the responses :) makes sense now!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:47 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Also must worth noting that these mean "NATIVE" HD resolution....as my Xbox (original) upscales Megadrive and SNES games to 720p, but couldn't really classify that as HD :D
Yep, NATIVE is key, MS and Sony both been guilty in past of putting 1080P on boxart, when in fact it's upscaled to...

If you go back a few generations, 3DO and PS2 would upscale imagery internally and output it to the TV, hence 3DO claiming a false max resolution on hardware and things like:Ico+MGS3:Snake Eater using hardware tricks to generate the visuals they do.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 am

HEAVYface wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Interesting "inside story" regarding the issues of development for the Wii U:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... side-story

Seems the low CPU is quite an issue for the developers. Lacking documentation and poor tools remind on another, much older system they had too.
I read the story and to be honest it was unfair to single out Nintendo and the wii u. The points the developer made can be levelled at any new hardware release and manufacturer, as they tend to get stretched thin around release time. Plenty of hardware has bugs and stuff in it the hardware designers miss because they don't push it the same way as software engineers (software engineers seem to get a kick out of using hardware in unintended and novel ways)

cpu thing an issue? depends on what type of game you want to make, and is an easy excuse....most do not want to change a design to fit/use the hardware. will multiplatform titles on the xbox one use Kinect fully for instance? I doubt it even though you can do some interesting gameplay things with it.

also plenty of consoles have crappy tools and documentation throughout their whole existence. This is not just a Nintendo issue.
I don't know. The same devs were also praising the PS4 hardware. Maybe the game makes heavy use of the CPU and Wii U's CPU is just seen as "insufficient" for the game. The PC version certainly pushes PC hardware well and features many top technologies.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25772276

Sobering news from ninty... Cutting Wii u sale forecasts by 70%.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 am

slacey1070 wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25772276

Time for them to drop the price. I'm not far of justifying buying one. Super Mario 3D World, the upcoming Mario Kart and some other gems would certainly be worth shelling out say £130 for the console itself, maybe up to £150.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:

Time for them to drop the price. I'm not far of justifying buying one. Super Mario 3D World, the upcoming Mario Kart and some other gems would certainly be worth shelling out say £130 for the console itself, maybe up to £150.
Yikes.That's one hellva wake up call.If your revising forecast's by that much, you know things have gone south.

A drastic price drop and more exclusives are the only 2 things i can see reversing Wii U's current fortunes (ditto for PS Vita).

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:17 am

I think the system would need some "heavy-hitting" Nintendo exclusives like Smash 4, MK8, new Zelda (not WWHD or Hyrule Warriors), new (good) Pokemon game, new Metroid, another price-cut and a bundle that ditched the "tablet controller", just giving it the PRO pad.

As a cheap "Nintendo machine" it could stand a chance against the "next-gen" onslaught. Else, I think they'll have to go for some more drastic measures. Although dropping support this soon would only be bad for them. If it didn't happen in the GC era it shouldn't happen now either.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

if they bring out a new Metroid I will buy it twice. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

gman72 wrote:if they bring out a new Metroid I will buy it twice. :D
I've read that Miyamoto and Reggie expressed the wish to see Star Fox and Metroid on Wii U. Let's wait and see, eh? :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
I've read that Miyamoto and Reggie expressed the wish to see Star Fox and Metroid on Wii U. Let's wait and see, eh? :wink:
Yeah, but that probably means we won't see them for a couple of years time, given the pace of development for the Wii U so far.

Anyway, I'd think that the sales forecast downgrade was inevitable. They sold next to bugger all Wii Us in the first three months of last year, so it's not likely that they'll be shifting too many at the start of this.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Yeah, but that probably means we won't see them for a couple of years time, given the pace of development for the Wii U so far.
That may be so for the next Zelda game too, hence they made the Wind Waker HD remake to shorten the wait for it.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Every time somebody tries to explain the Wii U's poor retail performance they always fall back on the "Joe Public doesn't understand what the Wii U is". I'm sorry but that's a load of guff. Joe Public knows exactly what the Wii U is but just isn't that interested in it. Unless you're an ardent Nintendo fan there's not much to draw you to the Wii U that isn't done equally well or better on other formats.
I know lots of people who didn't even know it was out, no matter what it is... I'm not saying they'd all rush out and get one if they did, but it certainly can't help sales... How would "joe public" know "exactly what it is"? Theres been no adverts and these people aren't trawling game sites looking for console release information...

Also the kind of games that nintendo make just aren't represented or very poorly so on other consoles... Wii sales show the public like these sort of games, so i'd think this shows that the wiiU does have some drawing power...
Sorry, but I just don't buy that. How long has the WiiU been out for now? You don't have to be trawling websites to know about the WiiU either. GAME has WiiU demo pods in many of its stores up and down the country and anyone who has the faintest interest in gaming has probably walked into one at some point. If there are currently Wii owners who want to upgrade, wouldn't they be asking the question when will Nintendo release a follow up?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:

I got seriously lucky with our Wii U purchase back in August. Blockbuster were selling them off at 149 :) Love the machine though. People should just be buying them to be perfectly honest, especially right now with the Mario 3D World game out. Even current pricing ... i mean, it's a great little machine for the price. The last Nintendo Direct showed some good stuff coming up. But I do agree we need a new (properly new) Zelda game. And personally a new F-Zero would surely get people interested.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com