Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:15 pm

As much as I hate EA and there endless rehashes of FIFA I noticed that all the generic EA sports and COD type first person games aren't on the Wii U.. Not to mention it gets hardly any shelf space in Game or the supermarkets.. If Game are to be believed they stopped selling the Wii as it was so popular and to force people into buying Wii U..

I know EA was blamed for the Dreamcast's failure due to no FIFA

Also is the Wii 'Retro' as they don't release new games for it think 'The Croods' was the last game?
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen? And is the Wii

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 pm

There are still new Wii games coming out, it is far from being retro.

It will be interesting to see how well the Wii U sold at xmas, unless sales were good then I think it's pretty much game over.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:35 pm

I think it's a cracking piece of kit, it's getting a lot of playtime in our home.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Nintendo can make money on selling a lot less consoles than their rivals, simply because of the amount of software they shift. Plus I think once everyone has chosen a PS4 or Xbox one I think many people ( myself included ) will pick a Wii U up as a second console.

As for the Dreamcast, it failed for a variety of reasons, not having EA games was a factor but it was definitely not the main reason.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:49 pm

I think there's room for the Wii-U, though Nintendo may have to be content with the Wii-U being more of a Gamecube rather than another Wii. There are big games in the pipeline, like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and the inevitable Zelda, which should help shift some units.

Plus I think the Wii-U offers more of an alternative than the Xbox One or PS4 do to each other, so maybe some people Ps4/One owners will adopt it as a second console.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm

The Mrs bought me a WiiU for xmas and its a cracking piece of kit, ive barely turned it off, playing Windwaker HD, ZombiU, Super Castlevania, Metroid Trilogy and Deus Ex Directors cut. Now I own one I certainly hope there is room for it in the new generation. Don't write Nintendo off as a hardware producer because they make more money on Pokémon alone than some small countries generate in a decade and will continue to support the WiiU, we will all have our Xbox 1s and PS4s and there will always be room for the Liberal Democrat of consoles the Gamecube, Wii and now WiiU.
Love live Nintendo. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm

One thing I really appreciate is the backward compatibility with Wii games. That made a huge difference for me when it came to buying it, knowing that our existing Wii library could still be used.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I've just remembered I bought Super Mario 3D Land which I played for an hour a week ago and not since :oops: While I'm only a bit interested in achievements/trophies I have no idea why they Wii U does not have a similar universal system. They could still implement one I suppose but I doubt it. Waiting for the new Mario Kart (which I played at Play last year) though it still seemed like any Mario Kart I've ever played.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

I'd go with Pratty's thinking:The Wii U makes for a fantastic 2nd machine.I know die hard PC owning friends of mine who bought one for the Nintendo exclusives and cannot put the machine down, but have no interest in a PS4/Xbox One with the current games avaiable on both.

If Nintendo can secure a steady supply of quality exclusives, i see the machine with a steady future at least, sure sales won't match PS4/Xbox One, but then how much are Sony loosing per PS4 sold at present (and hope to recoup with folks subscribing to PS+).

The E.A/DC angle been covered already, all i'd add is Sega's own sports range on DC was stunning.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:27 pm

I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

Don't care about PS4 or Xbone currently. Maybe I will in future but the business models of certain titles is just way over my head in a way that I hate.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 pm

sorry it's OT but i wanted to reply to this
Lost Dragon wrote:but then how much are Sony loosing per PS4 sold at present (and hope to recoup with folks subscribing to PS+).
the story that i've been seeing for a while now and i've seen it in quite a few places (though it could be the same story "doing the rounds") is that all they need to do is sell 1 ps+ and 1 game or 2 games and nothing else with the console to be in the black.

here's one example of the story:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -at-launch

and here is an analysis that claims the $399 console costs $381 to build (pre shipping costs)
http://www.techspot.com/news/54740-sony ... veals.html
original IHS report (very dry)
http://press.ihs.com/press-release/desi ... ware-costs
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Shinobi

Re: Is there room for the Wii U in this gen?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Just to add I own a Wii U myself and I think its a brilliant console! Sister got me new Super Mario for Christmas which is superb and I bought Wind Waker HD along with a superior version off Ninja Gaiden 3..

Same as 'Speedlolita'' I bought a Wii U for stuff like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 the new consoles with all they're generic Fifa games just don't interest me.. I know people hers aid the same about the 3DS it was garbage it had no good games and it would flop, and now its the best selling Handhelds/Consoles and you can't get them for love or Money when Pokemon came out.. I just wonder that the casual gamers who the Marketing Men tell them they have to like Fifa won't bother with the Wii U as its perceived Kiddy image and no Fifa.. I know the Wii U had a slow start with no Killer Apps as such possibly Zombie U not played it though..

When we do get the new Mario kart, Metroid, F Zero, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2 etc I think it will really pick up.. I wish NIntendo would do HD versions of N64 games like Pilot Wings and F Zero.. And hopefully Sega release's some of its arcade games like Planet Harriers on the Wii U Shop.. I know its unlikely to happen but Star Wars arcade would be awesome
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Shinobi wrote:
When we do get the new Mario kart, Metroid, F Zero, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2 etc I think it will really pick up.. I wish NIntendo would do HD versions of N64 games like Pilot Wings and F Zero.. And hopefully Sega release's some of its arcade games like Planet Harriers on the Wii U Shop.. I know its unlikely to happen but Star Wars arcade would be awesome
Planet Harriers would make my year. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:21 pm

if the backlash against Microsofts plans for the future of gaming is anything to go by (a lot of which sony would like to introduce too, but they've been more media savvy).... the wii u should be the gamers choice of console.....Nintendo first party games usually have loads of content (without DLC and micro transactions) and are incredibly well made.....can't say that about a lot of titles on the other main home console platforms this time.

.....but people (core gamers?) are more interested in the type of RAM a console has, so that it plays a 'better' version of game x which is fine. the wii u's gimmick isn't good enough to sway the non gamers this time, so they're unlikely to sell 100 million.

Nintendo first party games though, will always sell enough consoles to turn a bit of a profit, I would say theres room this gen like there was room for the n64 or the gamecube - they weren't financial disasters AFAIK. the new Mario game is amazing BTW.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:43 pm

I just had a look on vgchartz.com and the numbers didn't look too bad for the Wii U. For the week ending 14th December the global sales were:

374K - PS4
306K - XB1
240K - Wii U

I suppose the question is whether Nintendo can maintain that over the course of the year rather than just the Christmas period. Another sales drought in the next six months could see it flat-line again, although at least we know that it's got some big exclusives coming this year.