Space Hulk, is the new version better than the old one?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

r0jaws

Space Hulk, is the new version better than the old one?

Post by r0jaws » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Genuine question, I'm deliberating over whether or not to splash out on the Steam sale version of Space Hulk. It has 66% off for the next 24 hours, and although I like the WH40k franchise, I never really enjoyed the Saturn version of Space Hulk. Is the new one any better?

lanky316

Re: Space Hulk, is the new version better than the old one?

Post by lanky316 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 am

I've not played the new one, my contempt for GW meant it's release completely passed me by. It looks like it's very different to the old version as it's closer to the board game and become a turn based squad level strategy game. A few reviews seem to suggest it was released a bit buggy but that's been cleared and while maybe not full price could be worth it cheaper. I'm tempted to give it a go at that price, probably won't be sure though until late!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:38 am

I decided not to bother after doing a little more research. It looks Ok, but I was un-impressed with the animations, and reports of slow downs and other glitches. If they get closer to the £5 mark, I may give it a go.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:21 pm

I really, really liked the Saturn version at the time. I'll have to try and pick it up again if I see it cheap enough. Though I don't doubt it's aged badly.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360