Really good Turbo Outrun home conversions?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Really good Turbo Outrun home conversions?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 am

I've really enjoyed Turbo Outrun in MAME but are there any really good, arcade-perfect home conversions? I've only ever read up on home computer editions and can't remember if there was a Mega Drive version. Basically, is there anything as good as the Saturn version of the original Outrun? I like Turbo much more but I can't recall reading about any ports that were close to the arcade machine.

As always, I could just Wikipedia the game but I prefer information from first-hand experiences :) . I'm hoping that there's an obscure, super-duper home port that I haven't heard of!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Re: Really good Turbo Outrun home conversions?

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 am

The Mega Drive version is pretty decent and so are the ST and Amiga conversions but none of them are arcade perfect. Sadly there was never a Saturn version.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:46 am

Isn't the FM Towns one the best version?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

Given the limitations of the machine, the C64 version was really good, even though it was multi-load.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:04 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Isn't the FM Towns one the best version?
No idea, never played it, but it's certainly likely.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Well I've had a look at a few of these suggestions on Youtube and the arcade version does - as expected - wipe the floor with the conversions. The FM Towns version does indeed look very impressive next to the very basic Mega Drive port but neither can match what the arcade hardware was throwing out (again, as expected). The C64 version also looks damn impressive for what it's running on.

I can't believe Sega has never re-released the other Outrun games such as Turbo, Outrunners, Europa etc. If they did a digital compilation pack of all the arcade Outrun games then I'd snap it up! C'mon Sega, make it happen :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Megamixer wrote: I can't believe Sega has never re-released the other Outrun games such as Turbo, Outrunners, Europa etc. If they did a digital compilation pack of all the arcade Outrun games then I'd snap it up! C'mon Sega, make it happen :)
Seconded

I played Turbo Outrun on the MD and it pales in comparison to it's Arcade daddy. But it's much better than Outrun 2019, which, let's face it, is NOT an Outrun game to begin with.

Outrunners is awesome. Have fond memories playing that in the Arcades. Great sounds, especially the "announcer"

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

FM Towns version is the closest to arcade but not perfect and the MD port is okay but not great. Amiga has a pretty great version of Europa though.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:01 pm

The Speccy version was pretty good. Was quite fast, and had the huge sprites. The MD version was ok, but as said, the Arcade version is where it's at.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
Megamixer wrote: I can't believe Sega has never re-released the other Outrun games such as Turbo, Outrunners, Europa etc. If they did a digital compilation pack of all the arcade Outrun games then I'd snap it up! C'mon Sega, make it happen :)
Seconded

I played Turbo Outrun on the MD and it pales in comparison to it's Arcade daddy. But it's much better than Outrun 2019, which, let's face it, is NOT an Outrun game to begin with.

Outrunners is awesome. Have fond memories playing that in the Arcades. Great sounds, especially the "announcer"
Personally I love Outrun 2019, you are right though, it's not really an Outrun game.

Also Outrunners in the arcades rules, such a shame there was never a Saturn version as the MD one is pretty poo.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:32 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Given the limitations of the machine, the C64 version was really good, even though it was multi-load.
I played Turbo from tape and while it was good, I got tired of rewinding the tape to play again. Definitely hyped and given a higher score than it deserved.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm

As a dyed in the wool spec-chum who never wants to give the commode credit, it pains me to say it but the c64 version of Turbo Outrun was a phenomenal achievement, squeezing an arcade game from the tail end of the 80s into an early 80s 8-bit. The speccy version was a big improvement on the jerky version of Outrun we had.

As for an arcade perfect version, can't say I've ever played one.

Same with Power Drift, the speccy & c64 conversions were great all things considered, but I was disappointed not to see a Megadrive version or a version on the PS2, XBox or Cube.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:42 am

the_hawk wrote:Same with Power Drift, the speccy & c64 conversions were great all things considered, but I was disappointed not to see a Megadrive version or a version on the PS2, XBox or Cube.
We did get Power Drift on the Dreamcast, which bridges those systems. I gather its a very accurate conversion.

Like Merman I bought the C64 tape version of Turbo Outrun. Gutted, only played it once or twice, as I spent more time waiting for loads than playing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 am

Power Drift on the C64 impressed me at the time, but it now feels really shallow. Great music and a fairly convincing 3D effect.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:The Speccy version was pretty good. Was quite fast, and had the huge sprites. The MD version was ok, but as said, the Arcade version is where it's at.
Agreed.

I remember 'cheating' when playing my copy, and using a lego brick and some sticky tape to hold down the '9' key on the keyboard whilst steering with the joystick. Happy days...
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb