Kiddie-looking games that kick your ass

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpockIOM

Re: Kiddie-looking games that kick your ass

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 am

Negative Creep wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Bart vs The Space Mutants - I never got beyond the second level
One level better than me I have to admit but judging by its reputation I'm not missing much.
A friend had it for the PC and we tried countless times, probably beating the first stage by sheer chance. All the early Simpsons games (when the show was still seen as something for kids) seemed to have been ball bustingly difficult
The first part of level 3 was probably the most fun part of the game, but only if you didn't spend all your coins in level 1 because there are a few fairground mini games to win extra lives.

The second part of the level was a complete pain in the arse though - first a open/close all the doors puzzle and then a pit you have to navigate by using blasts of air from beneath you. This bit I found almost impossible without a lot of luck and a lot of lives in the bank. By the time you get through there the level is simple enough again, but since you'll probably only have a couple of lives left so getting through level 4 will be nigh on impossible. I've never got past there, and I doubt I'll have the patience to ever get there again to beat it.

And don't even get me started on Bart vs The World... that game is even worse than Space Mutants!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 am

I always found the Wonder Boy games tough, but maybe not as much as the Alex Kidd games. I can remember tearing my hair out at Alex Kidd for the one-hit deaths, and the first 2 Wonder Boy Games for the complete lack of continues, esp Monster Land as you only get one life.

That said, I've completed the Wonder Boy games, but not Alex Kidd.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 pm

look at it sideways wrote:The SImpsons: Treehouse of Horror on the Gameboy. The game was terrible, and that in part lead to it being tough to get far in, but yeah...I couldn't get past the first level.

I'm going to throw in Sonic 1&2 in the mix here. I could complete the game no problem but getting the chaos emeralds was tough. Unfairly hard - especially in Sonic 2. The Special Stages were a game spoiler for me. And in Sonic 1 all it takes is a bad button press and you miss the giant ring to even get to the damn special stage in the first place.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the special stages in 3& Knuckles.
Once mastered though you could get to be super sonic early on just by clever use of continue points. I think Sonic is a bit harder to get the full set as you can only access special stages at the end of an act. I would say Ive never been able to finish any sonic game on Master system - though ive not tried much I found them quite hard.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm

davyK wrote:Diddy Kong Racing. Those silver gun challenges.....and that bloody octopus race.
I have to agree with this. The game has a resounding "kiddie" feel to it yet it's one of the harder kart/plane/hoover racers out there. Fantasy Zone could also be a contender.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 am

I would say that the latest 2D Mario on the Wii U is very hard indeed. At least to me. :oops:

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 am

I remember getting hopelessly stuck on Bubba and Stix.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 am

The original Rayman is the first game that springs to mind to me.

As much as I love the game, I still find it fricking hard! :evil:

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Rainbow Islands but specially the vampire at the end of world 3. I'm traumatized.

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Bart vs The Space Mutants - I never got beyond the second level
I have that as an Amiga pack in game. I got the hats no problem... its the wet concrete jumps that always got me.

I read an article in a games mag once that said certain games only had 6 levels where it stated more on the box etc! Makes me wonder.
Don't think!....Feel!.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Through the Trap Door on the Spectrum. I still can't get anywhere on it after all these years, and I really wanted to like the game since I loved the tv series.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:31 pm

I remember DKC on the SNES getting tough in the later stages.

And Super Mario World, now that I've completely lost my "touch" when it comes to platformers. I finished it easily back in the day now it just frustrates the life out of me.
Dark Chronicle has a kiddie look imo and that can hand you your ass if you're not careful.
Candy Crush, but that's just because it wants you to pay your way through...

Eat your nans pants

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:39 am

RuySan wrote:Rainbow Islands but specially the vampire at the end of world 3. I'm traumatized.
THIS!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 am

Jelly Boy, that one. Ridiculously cutesy-looking, but I can't get anywhere in it (this may be more due to boredom than difficulty, mind).

Never been any good at Aero The Acro-Bat's games either...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:14 am

Just been reminded of this thing I wrote earlier in the year. It applies to this thread.

Few games are as cute looking as Jack and the Beanstalk and even less are as difficult.

Jesus...

http://www.gaminglives.com/2014/01/02/b ... harshness/