Top 100 video games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RuySan

Re: Top 100 video games

Post by RuySan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 am

pratty wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: dismissing the list because American gamers were choosing is just sad.
This.

"Oh no, not Nintendo! Oh no, not Americans!" :lol:

So what if Amercians are biased towards Nintendo? I'm shocked to discover people happen to have a preference for the things they grew up on.
The problem is that most of videogame history is american-centric, ignoring the existence of wonderful game machines like the Amiga and the Spectrum 48k, among other home computers.

Besides, that shitty list just proves our preconceptions.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am

RuySan wrote:
pratty wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: dismissing the list because American gamers were choosing is just sad.
This.

"Oh no, not Nintendo! Oh no, not Americans!" :lol:

So what if Amercians are biased towards Nintendo? I'm shocked to discover people happen to have a preference for the things they grew up on.
The problem is that most of videogame history is american-centric, ignoring the existence of wonderful game machines like the Amiga and the Spectrum 48k, among other home computers.

Besides, that shitty list just proves our preconceptions.
Preconceptions of what? That people have different opinions? As if, unlike an the Americans, this forum could actually agree on what actually is the undistibuted best game of time. :lol:

I'm British and personally I'd happily play any ten games picked at random from that list ahead of the top ten Spectrum and Amiga games.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am

The ironic (?) and funny thing here is, after complaining about American patriotism and favoritism, all the Nintendo games in question are largely developed in Japan.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 am

It's got nothing to do with patriotism, after all Commodore was an american company.

While european publications/sites like Eurogamer and Retro Gamer try to balance the importance of videogame machines all over the world, most american ones just ignore the rest of the world exists. It's almost like videogame history is confined to Atari and Nintendo before the Playstation era.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm

RuySan wrote:It's got nothing to do with patriotism, after all Commodore was an american company.

While european publications/sites like Eurogamer and Retro Gamer try to balance the importance of videogame machines all over the world, most american ones just ignore the rest of the world exists. It's almost like videogame history is confined to Atari and Nintendo before the Playstation era.
That may be true but we're not talking video game history here, we're talking the best 100, based on people's opinion, (and probably a voting process to determine the most commonly nominated games).

And on a best game list i think games should be included on their on merits, not just so as to mention a wide range of systems as possible, or a particular era. I'm as partial to a retro game as much as the next man, but if the best 100 games only happen to be from a relatively small range of generations, consoles and countries, then so be it.

That's why I'm dubious about Pong being on the list, I don't think people voted based on it's superior gameplay or graphics, but it's influence. The best games and the most influencial/important are two different things to me. But it's people's opinions, maybe a lot of people genuinely really do like playing Pong.

And the format of the voting plays a big role in the final listing. For all we know many Amiga and Spectrum games could have been nominated, but because nobody agreed on the same games none of them made the list. Similarly it's quite poissible that nobody actually thought Super Mario Bros is the best game of all time, but it was just the most nominated game.

It might be a flawed sytem with a misleading outcome, but that's why it's best treated as only a bit of fun. Like I said even the experts here wouldn't agree on a definitive best game, never mind list the top 100, it's never going to happen and no list is ever going to please everybody.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't mind lists - they're fun. Sometimes. Its just these "best ever" lists that really get me, and especially if it is America-centric. They still don't realize - even in this internet age - that there is actually a world around them that ISNT called "America" : in fact I heard in Geography classes their maps have the rest of the world inked or blacked out, with those medieval sea serpents depicted all around one giant slab of land AMERICA.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm fine with Americans being American and liking to remember their American past from an American point of view.

Its only fair, since I care not for the NES and place the Spectrum on a far higher pedestal, being a Brit.

Let them have their version of events and us ours.

As long as nobody is claiming some odd definitive history, what's the problem?

There's probably Anericans watching Brooker's show this week thinking WTF!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

RuySan wrote:It's got nothing to do with patriotism, after all Commodore was an american company.

I think you're missing my point - Nintendo is Japanese. American's love Nintendo because of how popular and nostalgic it is to them, but it is Japanese however you pitch it. I just think it's kind of amusing. To be fair the list isn't wrong, just some individuals opinions. If all my personal favourite games were Speccy games and my top 100 was just filled with 100 Speccy games, would that make it wrong? There's little merit in forcing in some games for the sake of it if you don't genuinely like them.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 pm

A top 100 list with no Amiga games on it just looks wrong to me. Then the Amiga wasn't very popular in the USA so it's no surprise.
I did notice Ultima Online at number 58 on the list which I was pleasantly surprised to see, so kudos to them for that.
If some MMOs followed the UO model instead of all mimicking EverQuest/ WoW then the genre wouldn't be so damn boring these days.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm sensing some bitterness from the small handful of people that actually don't like Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. :lol: :wink:

The tiny contingent of whingers on this thread who dislike Nintendo games are vastly, vastly outnumbered by those who really enjoy them even just in this country, never mind America. Wasn't the Wii recently voted 'best console ever' in a survey run by Game?

#dealwithit.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:34 pm

PostieDoc wrote:A top 100 list with no Amiga games on it just looks wrong to me. Then the Amiga wasn't very popular in the USA so it's no surprise.
There wouldn't be any Amiga games in my top 100 and i'm British. I've never played one, so why would there be?

Why do people take this stuff so seriously? Its just a list. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 am

nokgod wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:A top 100 list with no Amiga games on it just looks wrong to me. Then the Amiga wasn't very popular in the USA so it's no surprise.
There wouldn't be any Amiga games in my top 100 and i'm British. I've never played one, so why would there be?

Why do people take this stuff so seriously? Its just a list. :D
How was I taking it so seriously?
I said I wasn't surprised that there were no Amiga games in an American list.

If it was a British list there probably would be an Amiga game or two in there (Sensible World Of Soccer?) despite you not having played any but then opinions are wonderful like that.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 am

I didn't mean you personally were taking it too seriously...that's why that comment was on a different line with a space between it. It was a note on the thread in general :wink:

I was an ST owner...i'd expect any British list to have crossover Amiga/ST titles in the top 100, if a TV programme was made for the UK....i just don't know what appeared on both formats. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:00 am

If this list was Brazilian it'd be dominated by Master System games.
If this list was German it'd be dominated by PC games.
If this list was Korean it'd be dominated by MMOs.

You get the picture...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Liamh1982 wrote:If this list was Brazilian it'd be dominated by Master System games.
If this list was German it'd be dominated by PC games.
If this list was Korean it'd be dominated by MMOs.

You get the picture...
If it was japanese it would be full off school girls............