EveryGame: the Netflix of classic and retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

everygame

EveryGame: the Netflix of classic and retro games

Post by everygame » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi everyone - we're prototyping EveryGame (http://quickmvp.com/everygame), the Netflix of classic and retro games. Our ambition is to host every classic and retro game - from Pac Man to Super Mario to Street Fighter - in one place, on one platform, for you to enjoy. Features we expect to include:

- Every game you can think of, licensed from the proper developer/publisher.
- Cloud-based, so you can pick up and play from any device (or display it on your tv).
- We deal with emulation and those headaches: you just need to click on the game you want to play!
- Your choice of controller input.
- Pricing: USD 9.99 / GBP 9.99 / EURO 9.99 per month with no commitments (cancel anytime).

WE KNOW this is going to be difficult, but fundamentally this is a question of getting the licensing right (and we've had serious legal advice already) and making sure that people like the IDEA of what we're trying to do. That's what will give us the energy to make it happen. If you have comments/suggestions (good or bad), please PLEASE let us know.

So if you'd like to support us, check out Everygame and register your interest at: http://quickmvp.com/everygame or send us your thoughts in the thread below or at everygame2013@gmail.com.

killbot

Re: EveryGame: the Netflix of classic and retro games

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Fundamentally this is nigh on impossible. Look at Game Gadget to see how likely you are to get all these licensees to sign up. Still, good luck...

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh, also - the screen your link leads to suggest that SMB and Donkey Kong are already on the service. Is that right? If so, lawyer up now because I know the one firm you will never get to sign up to this service is Nintendo and if you are charging people to play their games then you will be getting a cease and decist letter in double bloody quick time.

If you're serious about this, start small. Check who owns the rights to old Speccy or BBC games. This won't be easy - thirty years on, the copyright situation is a nightmare in many cases, but if you can find them I would imagine the nominal copyright owners won't give two hoots about you putting them up on your service for a small fee. Approach them in a professional way - don't do what Blaze did and start sending them begging messages on Twitter. That'll get you nowhere and make you reek of desperation.

Once you've built up a little business that's making money, you can start to approach the bigger boys like Sega or Atari. I wouldn't even waste your time asking Nintendo - they keep an iron grip on their properties and rarely if ever licence third parties to sell their games.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

I was chatting to one of these guys at the retro event yesterday. From what I was told, this has been in the works for some time now... And its not just a group of young upstarts but people from the gaming industry...

Let's see what they come up with before writing them off...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:43 am

"Cloud based"

Like with Onlive, oh wow remember that?

There are already websites that host in browser emulators and ROMs

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 pm

I wouldn't even waste your time asking Nintendo
indeed, it will certainly be a boon if they can avoid filling the service with Nintendo games.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 am

I'd bide my time over Nintendo... if they're losing money on a dud console at the moment and still reeling from the Wii's underperformance they may in time welcome the extra income. They're surviving with the DS at the moment. How long can that last for?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:25 am

Even if it's extra income, it's probably just changes for them.

But still, good luck on your website.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:59 am

SpockIOM wrote: still reeling from the Wii's underperformance
B-but the Wii sold incredibly well

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:18 am

DPrinny wrote:
True, but it's lifespan was much less than Xbox 360 and PS3 and these did kinda leave the Wii trailing in the dust technologically speaking.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:36 am

SpockIOM wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
True, but it's lifespan was much less than Xbox 360 and PS3 and these did kinda leave the Wii trailing in the dust technologically speaking.
Neither really matters that much, when you consider that the Wii still outsold the PS3 and 360 to the extent that even if the latter two keep selling strongly for a couple more years they still won't catch it.

Anyway, despite the Wii U being something of a flop so far, they've still got such a vast amount of money in the bank that they'd hardly be forced to contemplate supporting a service like this that would be in direct competition with their own Virtual Console. Hell's going to have to freeze over before they're in on this one, I'd say.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 am

SpockIOM wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
I really cannot understand where on earth you are coming from on this, the Wii sold around 100,000,000 units, and around 855,000,000 pieces of software, let alone all the extra Wii motes and Wii fit boards, so how that can be seen as underperforming in anyone's book is baffling.

If you mean underperforming in terms of technology, that is also nonsense, as it brought millions of people into gaming that would never have touched a controller otherwise, so being technically inferior did not hinder it in any way.

Add to this that the console to my knowledge was never sold at a loss unlike the 360 and PS3, the only conclusion is that it was a massive cash cow for Nintendo, selling 21 and 20 million more consoles than your competitors is pretty spectacular.

It's lifespan was not short either compared to the other consoles, it was roughly the same Wii launched in December 2006, the PS3 in 2007, so effectively if Sony sell the PS3 for another year they will both be seven years, if Nintendo had chosen to keep supporting it, I am sure they would still be selling in reasonable numbers now.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 am

I still play on my Wii. But then I still play on my Speccy!

Anyway, I wouldn't dismiss anything like the Netflix of games. I mean, who thought Netflix would succeed? Or Twitter? Or anything?!?!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

Well maybe I've picked up some duff info along the way. I'm not anti-Nintendo or anti-Wii, I love both. All I'm saying is that if Nintendo don't come up with something pretty spectacular very soon they could well find themselves in trouble. Sony and Microsoft also have deep pockets and I'd hate to see the day when Nintendo goes the way Sega did from developing some bloody good systems and games to being just a games developer for others.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Logistically and legally I see so many obstacles to this working...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube