Gran turismo 6

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Gran turismo 6

Post by errolwd40 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Has anyone else had the chance to play Gran Turismo 6? I must admit I am loving it so far despite the mixed reviews the game has been getting.

The racing itself is as good as its ever been and the career mode gets far more interesting far more quickly. It is a great send off for the ps3 (although I am sure the console will still be heavily supported for the next 2 -3 years).

Overall I think it is a massive improvement over gt5 and easily a match for forza. :)

IronMaidenRule

Re: Gran turismo 6

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Only played the Academy demo thing, but only recently picked up GT5 (only had a PS3 for 6 months or so), so I doubt I will be going out of my way to get GT6. Good to know it is still a strong title, I was a bit suspicious about the micro-transactions....bet there will be a GOTY type edition towards the end of the PS3 life-span with everything unlocked.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:49 am

Yes I'm playing it!

Right back to the spirit of the first game - bought a little '76 Golf GTi, ragged it around until I could afford new alloys and a massive spoiler, slowly tuning it up as I go....love it.

The license tests, Coffee Breaks and Missions are scattered nicely amongst the career races - just unlocked Goodwood too.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Totally agree, the game plays just like it used too but in hd.

It has replaced Motorstorm pacific rift as my favourite ps3 racing game, honourable mentions go to grid, wipeout hd and need for speed hot pursuit. :o

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:39 pm

I don't get why polyphony digital put 6 out on the ps3? people are saying its barely much better than 5 ,some are even preferring 5. if you have 5 then I don't really think there seems to be much point in getting 6 too? surely it would have been a better move to have made it for ps4 especially since xboxone already has a forza release for it.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:48 pm

In that vein I would rather just play GT1.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm

speedlolita wrote:In that vein I would rather just play GT1.
I sometimes do! but its an entirely different game :wink:

my point is that its almost the same as what fifa and other sports games do these days, there doesn't seem to be a real overhaul of the game? they may as well have just made a few dlc updates for 5.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:49 pm

You're right.

GT1 is balls to the wall fun.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:23 am

I have GT6 and its rather disappointing, both technically and what it offers over GT5 (ie not much).

Forza 2-4 are much better games in virtually every regard. The car list is admittedly about 600 in Forza compared to 1100 in GT6, but the car selection in Forza is a lot better than i think 1100+ cars in GT6 is flattering, as many of them are duplicates, or old relics. GT6's selection of Ferraris, Lambo's, Bugatti's is disappointing, and no Porsches is a huge disappointment.

Also, why are there black borders around the whole screen? GT6 isn't full screen, the Forza games are, and they also NEVER lose a frame, where as the frame rate on the PS3 Gran Turismo games suffer with screen tearing and framerate drops, particularly if you use the external view. Graphically Forza is more impressive, and audibly, it sounds much better too. Also, using a standard Xbox controller is much better for racing games than a PS3 one - the triggers are far superior for braking and accelerating, so much so that the default option for GT5/6 is using the X button to accelerate, as they know its not comparable.

Very disappointed.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Also, why are there black borders around the whole screen?
Cos your settings are wrong - you've got the graphics output set to a smaller TV, easily changed in the Options.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:10 am

djcarlos wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:Also, why are there black borders around the whole screen?
Cos your settings are wrong - you've got the graphics output set to a smaller TV, easily changed in the Options.
Really? Why would this occur on GT6 and no other PS3 game? Why would the default not be like any other game?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:06 am

No idea! I vaguely remember setting it up, thought there was a prompt at some point.....?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:11 pm

djcarlos wrote:No idea! I vaguely remember setting it up, thought there was a prompt at some point.....?
I don't seem to remember having any issue with GT5. Its bizarre, i assumed they used a smaller screen for technical reasons and make the frame rate smoother. (its still a bit ropey either way).

As you can see, i'm not a big GT fan anymore. I loved GT1 - 4. They made a bit of a pigs ear over GT PSP and GT5/6 in my opinion and its no longer the best driving game money can buy.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:14 pm

I think 6 is what 5 should have been. There are noticeable improvements in the graphics, a few tweaks here and there (though sadly not to sound or AI) and I think it feels a little easier to drive and a little more forgiving than 5. But it is definitely easier to play - a workmate of mine completed (i.e. platinum'ed) it in less than a month whereas it took him months to achieve the same in 5 - I think the removal of B-spec and the toning-down of the 12 and 24-hour races to 12 and 24-minute races probably helped there too! I read that Kaz wants 6 to be a long-runner in that there will be quite a lot of DLC for it over the months. I guess releasing it on the PS3 was to make all the development on 5 worth it - I guess they just had to tweak the existing code and therefore benefit from the development time across two games. And PD is working on GT7 for the PS4!

tobycadamp

Post by tobycadamp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 pm

GT 6 is the best game ever invented. I love the superb graphics.