lets talk minecraft

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stayAwhile

Re: lets talk minecraft

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Gotta say I enjoy the mining more then building
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:31 am

the finding of underground cave systems and canyons was fun, its to bad the combat is limited and in true roguelike style once you die its all lost (unless you can get to the spot again)

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:16 am

@Misery,
That explanation makes me almost want to play it.
I've seen my kids devote hours to it, online with their friends, and they seem to have fun playing games that I recognise from being a kid. Hide and seek, cops and robbers, adventuring and exploring. Difference is that I didn't have a virtual environment to do it in, but was running about outside.
It's the one game I have absolutely no problem with them playing, as it's lack of linearity and social interaction forces creativity and they seem to have tons of fun playing it. More so than anything else.
I have said that I will join up with them one day and give it a go.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:27 am

mr gryzor wrote:I think adults who play games like Minecraft are a bit odd tbh.
Something not quite right about them.
That's it, everything and everyone goes into it's own little box :D

I didn't get Minecraft. it didn't seem to have a point to it and i just didn't get what the objective was. Then i was round a friend's house when his kids (yes, those little people who apparently lack imagination and don't know what good videogames are - just like no doubt i was when i was kidding myself i was having fun on my Spectrum back in the day) insisted they show me what they were doing on Minecraft. About ten minutes later i knew i would end up buying it. It turns out it was actually a videogame after all, not just some basic construction set (although you can just ditch the adventure side and just build if you want). Personally i think it's fantastic that people are spending time actually making things. Some of the constructions you can see on Youtube are incredible. A guy i work with built a working calculator on Minecraft just for the challenge of seeing if he could do it - now that probably sounds unexciting to most people here but the fact is that you can do things completely out of the box in the game. There is no big arrow pointing at your next objective or text pointing out the bleeding obvious. How you decide to tackle the game is up to you and you can inject your own style into what you build. Fair play if you have the patience, talent and ability to be able to knock something up on a Quake level creator, but most people don't.

The "it's for kids" argument may just come from people's comfort zones. Are you worried what people would say if they caught you playing it or is it the gameplay not as rich and rewarding as Call of Duty? i couldn't just play "mature" games (a lot of them seemed to be designed for 11 year old boys anyway) or i'd go mad. i remember a game we used to play at school. It was called coyboys and indians (or cops and robbers or other variations on exactly the same game). We have the morning or afternoon break to run around pretending to shoot each other with guns and one team would win when the bell went. Strangely now, we do the same thing online and it's considered mature despite it being an updated version of what we did when we were five years old. We also loved playing with cars, so are racing games out as well? :wink:

It's obviously not for everyone. Some folk will just not get on with it - same as every other videogame ever written, but it's an example of how an original idea expanded into something bigger. The modding community have picked it up and ran with it. People at home are creating new ways to play it and creating amazing things. Minecraft is "just lego" in the same way that Little Big Planet is just a platformer and GTA is just a driving game.

Hurry with the Vita version!

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:20 am

I have never played Minecraft.

Keep meaning to give it a shot but honestly not sure if it's something I'll 'get' so I've avoided it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwuHancGDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwADFEzLi3E

Some of my things back when I was pissing about with it

Before I quit I was going to start on more sky bases on a server

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Minecraft is the kind of game I hope my little boy will play in a few years time when he's old enough to play them.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm

we bought minecraft for the nephew, he is 9 and at that age we both would have loved nothing more than lego, its reassuring that the trend has just evolved

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Wow minecraft hate. I play it with my daughters (6 and 7) on the 360, I build castles and they wreck 'em. And my son (13) plays it seriously on the PC. It's definitely à 'kids' game I'd say and it's gonna be their 'retro' game in 20 years.
Scott me up beamie!

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm

r0jaws wrote:@Misery,
That explanation makes me almost want to play it.
I've seen my kids devote hours to it, online with their friends, and they seem to have fun playing games that I recognise from being a kid. Hide and seek, cops and robbers, adventuring and exploring. Difference is that I didn't have a virtual environment to do it in, but was running about outside.
It's the one game I have absolutely no problem with them playing, as it's lack of linearity and social interaction forces creativity and they seem to have tons of fun playing it. More so than anything else.
I have said that I will join up with them one day and give it a go.

Yep. That, to me, is part of it's genius. Things like the "cops and robbers" idea of a game, for instance, actually exist on multiplayer servers.... there are entire servers dedicated to that particular idea! All of these "minigames" with complicated rules that players have come up with. When I do play online, it's not the survival mode that i do, but these different minigame servers. There's complicated stuff like the "Hunger Games" servers, where you basically follow a ruleset based on the books, gathering resources/weapons to kill off opponents while using the landscape to hide and survive until the final battle. Or there's super simple stuff like one that mimics the Wario Ware games, transforming the arena around you and quickly spitting out goofy 5-second challenges that you must complete to stay in while trying to not be on fire or explode or something, usually with hilarious results. Stuff like these.... and there's TONS of different ones.... show the versatility of the game. The "cops and robbers" one is pretty fun too, and is very popular, particularly since it can get very hilarious very fast.

I know the game isnt for everyone, but it always bugs me that it gets alot of misconceptions from some people as being "not a real game".

If you do play it though be aware that the "vanilla" version of the game IS pretty easy; it's only going to put up so much challenge and is best set to "hard" mode right away. That being said, when you DO die, it can be astonishingly frustrating.... I've had "throw random object at wall" moments a few too many times with this game, haha.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Ire on my head here but have you guys tried Survival Craft? Im building a Smurf village :lol:

And I scrapped the Resi mansion got bored :(

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:28 am

SoupDragon wrote:Ire on my head here but have you guys tried Survival Craft? Im building a Smurf village :lol:

And I scrapped the Resi mansion got bored :(
Survivalcraft..... the iOS one? At least I'm pretty sure that's what you mean.... the one that's way better than the craptacular official Minecraft iOS port.

That one seems pretty good, though I'm not all that familiar with it yet.

Another one to try is Block Story. That one's much further away from what Minecraft is than most things in the genre. There's all the digging and building and crafting of course, but most things work differently, and the game is very RPG-ish in mechanics. Spells and stats and levelups and 8 gazillion types of monsters, and quests too. And the world generator is dramatically different than any of these. Bloody gorgeous game, too. The lighting system is wonderful. Definitely alot more difficult than many of these.

That one's available on iOS and also on PC (Desura). Great game, alot of creative stuff, kinda nasty learning curve though.

crotea

Post by crotea » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Whenever I play Minecraft I set some goals and try to see If I can complete them, I made a rather sizeable village with my mate once. Although it did start to get a bit stale, now the only time I go on it is to play player vs player with my cousin.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:45 am

I asked my son what it was they mostly did on Minecraft. The answer was play the 'Hunger Games' and PvP. As i said before, they have a huge laugh playing it. Some of their group Skype calls are hilarious.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 am

It does seem like there's more of a game in there now than when I first looked at it backi its beta days. Shame the portable versions are so far behind the PC one as I think its one of those things that would be a great time killer when on the go, just nip in, build a bit more then dive out again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.