lets talk minecraft

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: lets talk minecraft

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm just not sure why Minecraft.

Why its so popular, or how that happened.

If I wanted to build something, I'd do it with modelling tools and level editors for Quake or something like that, something flexible.

Maybe its like pixel art and its the limitation that attracts, but its become too mainstream for that.

I just don't get it.

Can any of the Minecraft users tell me why they do it, what's the draw and why it's Minecraft that satisfies that need and not something better?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 pm

I've never played it myself, just don't like the look of it. My son, on the other hand, does. He's sat opposite me now, chatting to his mates on a group call on Skype , whilst playing with them on some random server. Apparently they have some amazing faction, which is dominating the world they inhabit.

To be fair, they all sound like they're having great fun......
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:18 pm

I think for myself your remark about limitations hit the nail on the head, I think it forces you to be more creative about how you're going to do things. I also really love the art style.
Last edited by Sel Feena on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm

I think adults who play games like Minecraft are a bit odd tbh.
Something not quite right about them.

Reminds me of when Harry Potter books were all the rage a few years back,and you got those saddo's in their 30's who went out and bought into it all,buying the books etc.

Very odd people.

Same goes for the social rejects who play those daft games on Facebook.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:37 pm

I am entirely comfortable with my gaming preferences, and so are the people locked in my basement.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Never played it but very popular with the kids in my school. Think they use a freeware flash one some of them.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Sel Feena wrote:I think for myself your remark about limitations hit the nail on the head, I think it forces you to be more creative about how you're going to do things. I also really love the art style.
koopa42 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Used to love lego when I was a kid - it was brilliant just sitting there making things using my imagination. Now it seems lego is sold as a set kit - no imagination needed any more!

Minecraft is what lego used to be. It is utterly amazing!! The things that you can create are unlimited (almost) and there are some people out there with far too much time on their hands, creating a full size Enterprise D.....
Wrong on both counts.
No. :P
Are you MPM then? No.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm

-
Last edited by Sel Feena on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

mr gryzor wrote:I think adults who play games like Minecraft are a bit odd tbh.

Reminds me of when Harry Potter books were all the rage a few years back,and you got those saddo's in their 30's who went out and bought into it all,buying the books etc.

Very odd people.

Same goes for the social rejects who play those daft games on Facebook.
Adults playing with lego... is that a bit odd too or is that ok?

Terreria? Odd or ok?

I think that if it is a game - then why not play it? I feel more grown up playing Minecraft than a Mario game for some weird reason! :?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm

markopoloman wrote:Used to love legs when I was a kid - it was brilliant just sitting there making things using my imagination.
This is how I misread that post :oops:

And Minecraft childish? More so than pretend shooting someone in the face or whatever your preferred game is? Its funny how some people feel the need to be 'grown up', cutting themselves off from things. As long as the mortgage is paid, does it matter how someone plays?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm

:lol: I still look at legs and imagine things. :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Lego (and im probably alone here *shrug* ) is dull as ditchwater (building plastic rubbish? Not for me) but some love it, fair play to them each to own (wahey i'll build a 'death star :roll: ) I can sort of see the fascination in these games for bog type games though.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm just not sure why Minecraft.

Why its so popular, or how that happened.

If I wanted to build something, I'd do it with modelling tools and level editors for Quake or something like that, something flexible.

Maybe its like pixel art and its the limitation that attracts, but its become too mainstream for that.

I just don't get it.

Can any of the Minecraft users tell me why they do it, what's the draw and why it's Minecraft that satisfies that need and not something better?

I'll do my best to give an explanation here. I'm well aware that this is one of those games that some gamers just simply dont understand.

Simple: It's not just about building, and it's not just a "lego" sort of thing. That's a big misconception. Anyone that knows that sorts of games that I am into would sure as bloody hell not expect me to play something that's JUST building. And they'd be entirely right. I wouldnt. There are other games that really ARE just building, and I dont touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Minecraft works because it's a combination of alot of things. Exploring, adventuring, monster clobbering, all of these things while trying not to die, and all of these things while pursuing what I call "emergent goals". Emergent goals are one of the major reasons why, for me, the game works out the way it does. Most games, they tell you "You have to do this. GO DO IT NOOOOOOWWWW" and to me this is bloody boring. In Minecraft though, or it's many clones, the goals that I have are extremely directly related to my own actions, and can lead to even more goals. For example, let's say I want to make something using emeralds. Well, they're tough to come by, and I have to be in a specific type of area to find any at all. But maybe my current location isnt near that sort of zone. So, I know that I need to probably travel and explore pretty darn far from where I am, so I decide to do it the way I usually do it, which is by jumping into the Nether.... the game's fiery "hell" dimension.... and using that as fast travel, since distance travelled in there is multiplied by about 8 in the overworld. And I need certain things to make the entrance portal, namely obsidian, so I know that my next goal is to do that, which may or may not also involve having to go find some diamonds first. Other goals may occur to me while I'm in the process of doing that. Perhaps I realize I could use more iron, so I run off to do THAT as well, and maybe I find an abandoned mineshaft.... think maze-like dungeon... so I may have goals related to that as well. All of these things that I'm going after can lead to even more potential things to go after, more decisions to make, more possible benefits to earn, and every single one of them has a gazillion possible methods I can use to accomplish them. I can do it my own damn way, I dont have to follow some pre-designed idea here, and I can come up with.... or utterly ignore.... more and more goals as I see fit. Hell, I dont even have to build any structures if I dont want to. The game never, ever forces that. And when I do build, I can make it be however damn absurd I want it to be. Or maybe I could build something with alot of practical use (which is usually what I do). And when I dont feel like building, I bloody well dont build a damn thing.

These concepts all expand the further I go into the game, and at no point do they STOP. And the whole time, there's the danger of dying and losing all of my stuff, and there's things everywhere that are out to get me.

All of this can also be enhanced with mods. Me, I like a challenge. I kinda NEED a challenge, or I lose focus. There's lots of games out there that I never touch because they're just too damn easy. Minecraft's default mode and settings is a bit easy to me, so I generally find and add mods that increase the challenge. Powering up different monsters (which, I might point out, the game is full of), adding horrible new ones, adding more bosses, dangerous terrain, all sorts of stuff. Makes adventuring much more exciting and dangerous, which is exactly what I want, and gives me the satisfaction of barely defeating powerful foes in nasty situations. Which is made all the better by the game's often-harsh death penalty (you can lose everything you're carrying). The game's modding community is HUGE, and chances are, any player can find EXACTLY the combination of mods that'll make the game into what THEY want it to be. I play the game both unmodded, and heavily modded, having different worlds for each, depending on my mood. And by "heavily modded", I dont mean like 5 or 6 seperate mods at once. I mean more like 30 or 40, sometimes even more. But it depends on the mods, and what the player wants. Sometimes, maybe just one is enough.

The game isnt just a "lego" sort of thing, is part of what I'm getting at here. I'd not be playing it if it was, and I always find the assumption that it is to be bloody stupid, since only the slightest research is necessary to find out otherwise. Yet if players WANT to play it that way, and JUST build stuff.... hey, why not? They can do this. And there's nothing wrong with that. Not any more wrong than doing things in any other game. Like running around endlessly shooting things in an FPS. *I* dont really like doing THAT very much, but that sure as hell dont mean it's wrong as a gameplay idea, nor does it mean it's bad gameplay at all.

I think the biggest problem with the game isnt in the game itself, but how it's PORTRAYED. There's lots.... and lots.... and lots.... and lots.... of videos of JUST the building side, because big creations are "impressive", but videos that really focus on what I call the "gameplay" side.... the exploring and monster battling and survival and all of that.... are not nearly as common, because they dont involve impressive buildings or stuff like that. This fact has always annoyed me a bit. And like I said, the game does NOT have to be that way for any given player. It can be geared towards what YOU want it to be, and that, to me, is part of it's genius.

......on top of all of this, well, this is ME saying this stuff, and anyone that knows me at all knows that for there to be a game that I have nearly no complaints about, well.... that's high praise indeed, since I hate everything. It's true though, I have no real complaints about this one, which is ultra-rare for me.

Oh, and the idea mentioned in the quote up there, about building levels for Quake or whatnot.... yeah, that sort of thing applies here. Players can build pre-defined worlds/levels/challenges/whatever, infuse them with their own rules and special things, which players can then download and play, using the game's "adventure" mode, which changes some of the rules around to make that sort of thing make sense (for example, you cant break blocks in that mode. It'd be bloody silly if you could, when going through a level that's like something in Doom!). Players have created all sorts of things here, and the game's redstone system.... which is the bit that has allowed the creation of things like actual working computer circuitry and such... along with the "command block" scripting system, mean that extremely complex things can be done here. ....and that's WITHOUT mods. This concept can go waaaaayyyyyyyy further WITH them.

I personally enjoy games like Doom and Quake and whatever, so being able to play through levels/worlds designed around those concepts in THIS one is pretty nice. Especially when I never know what kind of clever ideas the level designer may have stuck in there.

Whew. So, that's all that. Hopefully that at least made SOME sense. I aint the sort that expects everyone to like the game merely because I do, and frankly, I'm too bloody lazy to use too much time trying to change people's minds. BUT, hopefully this at least makes things a little easier to at least understand why others love this game.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:27 am

markopoloman wrote:
mr gryzor wrote:I think adults who play games like Minecraft are a bit odd tbh.
Adults playing with lego... is that a bit odd too or is that ok?
Adults playing games?

What saddos

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:41 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Adults playing with lego... is that a bit odd too or is that ok? - Bit odd i'd say.

Terreria? Odd or ok? Never heard of it.

I feel more grown up playing Minecraft than a Mario game for some weird reason! Yup.You're definitely a bit of a strange un. :wink:
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE