Addictive games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DoraemonTheCat

Re: Addictive games?

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

merman wrote:Burnout 3 Takedown, kept playing till I'd finished it.
Oh my gosh - you the same as me!

I put sooooo many hours into that game, and loved every one of them. I have "nearly" completed it, just that bloody last GP with the red F1 style car I have'nt managed to get Gold in yet. How long did it take you.

Damn car just slides all over the place - and into the back of random other non-racer vehicles. It kills me, but I will get back to it.

Would definately be one of my Desert Island Discs.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:37 pm

These games have cost me days of my life.

- Age of Empires II
- Command & Conquer 3
- Sniper Elite 2

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Rogue Legacy is one of the few recent games that i can truly call addicitve. I finished it on a weekend which gave me a bad case of thumb tendinitis.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Recently I found Kirby's Epic Yarn and Arkham Asylum addictive.

Didn't stop playing Kirby until I had completed all 100% and I've completed Asylum on three difficulty levels including 99% on one (I missed one set of Joker teeth and cannot figure out how to get back into the room).

Previous to that Marvel vs Capcom 2, fantastic fighting game and love playing to build up points to unlock everything.

Years ago I was addicted to Champ manager 4 but haven't played it since due to the addiction.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Sim City series
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2
Civilisation 2
Final Fantasy 7 and 8
Doom
Mass Effect
Fallout series
Gran Turismo 1,2 and 4
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter 2

and plenty of others, all played way more than I should have done

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Oh c'mon! Two pages and not a mention of an MMO? Am I missing something?

Anyway I put waaaaaaaaay too many hours into World Of Warcraft, not the hardcore loner type but probably more than I wish to remember.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:35 pm

New star soccer on me android. I played the new xcom through and that got me back into the old one, I'm re-addicted! And I completed new Vegas about 2 weeks ago and just completed fallout 3 today... Thank phuck I don't do drugs, in easily addicted!
Scott me up beamie!

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am

I made the mistake of introducing my mate to Sensible Soccer this weekend... that game is far too much fun!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Operation Flashpoint - I played it when it came out and I guess I never will stop playing it thanks to great gameplay mechanics, fantastic mission making and modding potential and tons of user made content.

Doom - I'm a big fan. I like all versions in their own right and can easily return to it.

Street Fighter II - also a big fan. My personal favourite is probably II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting Japanese version for both, Arcade and SNES. I love playing it against good players even if I'm losing.

Disciples II - I don't play much anymore but was pretty addicted to it a few years ago. Good mission making potential too.

Mortal Kombat II - pretty addictive but I lost a bit of interest because the fighting system isn't all that great.

Super Punch-Out!! - very addictive. Can always retrun to it too.

Super Hang-On - very hard to master but that's it's charm. Frustrating addictive fun.

F-Zero SNES - while F-Z X is good in it's own right (I guess especially with the 2500 mph hacks and track editor from 64DD expansion), I personally prefer the SNES one. The lack of multi player is probably it's biggest problem but there exists a PC program to play it with multiple players. (F-Zero VS)

Super Mario Kart - pretty addictive in MP and time trails. I don't play the newer ones.

Test Drive II - ciassic racer that I enjoy. I prefer the SNES version to other ones.

The Need For Speed - the DOS version is my favourite. I also like Porsche Unleashed.

various shoot em ups - I don't like the "bullet hell" ones too much, I prefer those in the vein of Darius Twin (SNES), Raiden Trad (SNES, MD, Arcade), 1942 & 43 (NES, Arcade), Axelay (SNES), M.U.S.H.A. (MD), Gaiares (MD), Thunder Force IV (MD), ect.

various NES/Famicom games - Super Mario Bros. 3 (the only Mario I can always return to), Contra & Super C (best Contra games for me and imo better than the arcade ones), Rush n Attack/Green Beret (I like NES version best), Punch-Out!!, Lifeforce/Salamander, Jackal, Gun.Smoke, Guerilla War (better than arcade imo), Baloon Fight, Battle City, Antarctic Adventure, ect.

various simulation games - I like especially the old polygon 3D ones but I also like the more modern ones.

EDIT: I also enjoy various tactical shooters and arcade style shooters a lot.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Chasing the Dragon. on the 32 and 64.