the younger generation playing retro games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ninereeds

the younger generation playing retro games

Post by Ninereeds » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:14 am

my nephew playing lotus turbo challenge on megadrive :)

Papa_Midnight

Re: the younger generation playing retro games

Post by Papa_Midnight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 am

Stuff like this is awesome. I suppose you can't really call me the 'younger generation' anymore (I'm 22) but I've been brought up on retro gaming by my dad owning the original NES and SNES so it's become engrained into me.

The way it is now a days, as it was with me. Kids are growing up with videogames as part of their everyday lives, from a young age all the way through to adulthood. It's starting to be seen as less of "something that kids play" to a serious, mature media, within the societal masses.

The kids are getting a history lesson in a sense, a fun one though :) more kids should do this more often.
"when everything is going right, something is wrong"

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 am

I got my cousin's 10 year old son hooked on the original Legend of Zelda, SMB 1&3 and OOT when he came to visit.

He loved the games, but I don't think he'd have stuck with the original LOZ if I hadn't been there to help him out at the start - he was asking "where do I go?" and "what do I do now?" quite a lot and didn't seem to appreciate my replies to the tune of "well, I had to figure this out for myself when I was a kid!"

Still, it's good to see kids playing and enjoying classic games - it proves that these games we all know and love are still fun. It does makes me wonder how kids in 20 years time will view today's classics though...
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 am

This is normal, carry on

(Better to get him to play a better game)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:52 am

Its always good seeing younger kids playing retro games, saw a fair few at Replay.

But its difficult, if all their mates have the latest consoles and they're crap at them and instead ask if people want to play Manic Miner their mates will probably take the mick ! Sounds harsh but imagine when you were 12 or so and you wanted to play on your Speccy and your older cousin wanted you to play Pong on his Grandstand tv console thing

eevee128

Post by eevee128 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:10 pm

I was born in 1999, and I play games from the 80's and early 90's.

crotea

Post by crotea » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:35 pm

eevee128 wrote:I was born in 1999, and I play games from the 80's and early 90's.
Awesome! I'm guessing your around thirteen/fourteen then?

My nephew is the same age, and his high score on Donkey Kong is 550k. Quite good in my book!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm

My daughter who is age 7 has been brought up on Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Amidar (love Amidar!), Streets of Rage, and Street Fighter.

Its important the young uns get a good gaming education!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I had my 4 year old godson for the day yesterday and he demanded that we play both Space Invaders and Pac-Man! I wish I had got a photo of him playing, it was really cute.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 am

psj3809 wrote:Its always good seeing younger kids playing retro games, saw a fair few at Replay.
At Doki Doki fest, mum comes up stairs with her kids, (The CC stuff was in the "penthouse")
One starts getting really excited about seeing a SNES, then sits down and plays Mario Kart for a hour or so

They young are the type that will play anything you stick in front of them

Also the sight of a dad and his daughter playing Metal Slug (and doing badly) was a good one, dad says "We got this in our arcade machine at home"

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Something that warmed my heart: in a games shop in Bury St Edmunds, overheard the local kids (who were somewhere between the ages of 6 and 10 at a guess) who were all fawning over a glass cabinet in one corner. It turns out they were all really excited by the 16-bit systems and games. Overheard much ooh-ing and ah-ing about the likes of the Megadrive, the SNES and even a 3DO.

It really made me really realize that yes, there are some people in the younger gen who really do think this retro stuff is cool. :)

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 am

I'm a teacher and we have a 2 hour slot twice a week to do anything we like that's not academic with the kids. You know, like stuff they'll enjoy that gives them a break from the classroom (I work at a pretty intense private school where the kids are worked hard and these "Activity" slots are a godsend for students and staff to be honest).

Some teachers run sports events, debating societies, film clubs, I bought an XArcade stick (on school's budget :wink: ) and we spend two hours a week playing old arcade games on my MAME configured PC I bring in from home. I also bring in various different consoles each week for the kids to play on. NES, SNES, Mega Drive, N64, PS1, Gameboy, Atari 2600...

The kids absolutely love it. Most of them have gone away and researched about video game emulation and they come to me saying "Sir, have you heard of this game on the SNES, it's awesome!". They're discovering where many of their beloved games franchises either started or the games that inspired their creation. You see their eyes popping out of their head when you fire up the original Mario Kart or Goldeneye or Sonic. Things that are totally the norm to us totally blow their mind and they have a new found respect for you!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 am

My youngest nephew has one of those psp knock off with all the Mega Drive games installed. He absolutely loves Streets Of Rage 3 (he's only 5!!!), and my eldest borrowed it and tried to play Ghostbusters. He complained it was hard, until I told him thats how games were back in the day. So, even though I don't have kids of my own, im getting my nephews into retro gaming. And, they're loving it. Next stop, im getting them a SNES for xmas this year :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 am

Image my newest kid. I find that all my kids play retro games. But they're lucky aren't they? they've got the best games from the last 30 years at there fingertips we had to live through it.
Scott me up beamie!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:11 am

SpockIOM wrote:I got my cousin's 10 year old son hooked on the original Legend of Zelda, SMB 1&3 and OOT when he came to visit.

He loved the games, but I don't think he'd have stuck with the original LOZ if I hadn't been there to help him out at the start - he was asking "where do I go?" and "what do I do now?" quite a lot and didn't seem to appreciate my replies to the tune of "well, I had to figure this out for myself when I was a kid!".

Funny - I have a smilar but opposite problem for modern games. "Why does it keep telling me what to do and where to go? Why can't I go over there?"

I played my brother's Killzone on PS4 and was so bored with the loooooooooooooong cut scenes and basic A to B gameplay.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."