Retro VS New

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

eevee128

Retro VS New

Post by eevee128 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I want to know your opinions: Which games are better IN YOUR OPINION, retro ones or newer ones? "Retro" starts at the N64.
Last edited by eevee128 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RodimusPrime

Re: Retro VS New

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Its Impossible to say really, you cant really make a blanket comparison like that.

Any generation has Great games, censored games, and average games.

If you were to just say that all Retro games are better than new games then you would be saying even the shittest retro game is better than the best modern game.

Even if you want to say " on average " that Retro games are better, it would be subjective. Some of my most treasured games are retro but the fact is there was far more poor games to good games on the earlier systems. Old 8bit computers were overloaded with bedroom coded games that were crap and the NES and 2600n for example had a huge amount of poor software alongside the amazing games.

I truly think that the quality of the average game currently has far improved.

eevee128

Post by eevee128 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:58 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Its Impossible to say really, you cant really make a blanket comparison like that.

If you were to just say that all Retro games are better than new games then you would be saying even the shittest retro game is better than the best modern game.

Even if you want to say " on average " that Retro games are better, it would be subjective. Some of my most treasured games are retro but the fact is there was far more poor games to good games on the earlier systems. Old 8bit computers were overloaded with bedroom coded games that were crap and the NES and 2600n for example had a huge amount of poor software alongside the amazing games.

I understand your opinion. But based on your first paragraph, I realized that what I'm trying to say is this: Do you LIKE retro games or modern games? It's not like a war, it's just to see who likes what.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

eevee128 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Its Impossible to say really, you cant really make a blanket comparison like that.

I understand your opinion. But based on your first paragraph, I realized that what I'm trying to say is this: Do you LIKE retro games or modern games? It's not like a war, it's just to see who likes what.

in that case, I love both :D

I just thought the way the question was phrased was an invitation to argue what is better thats all. the use of VS, and then asking which " is better " impies picking one or the other.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Yes

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Tree

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm

While there are some modern games I like, Retro wins with ease for me. After all this is RETRO Gamer forum (even if most of the threads suggest otherwise ;) )

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Retro. If they stopped making new games I wouldn't care.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm

But on new tech you can play old games.

Still my answer is yes

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Very difficult to pick one over the other.

It depends what we're calling modern and retro. For me the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation swings it. Which ever camp that gen falls into probably get's my vote.

For me the worst thing about very modern games is the delivery, often being spread over disc and digital downloads, DLC that often feels held back and purely for the sake of it, microtransactions and pay as you play models, patches required to fix games released broken, that sort of thing. I just want to buy a cart or a disc and plug and play, pay up front and own the game in it's entireity.

The actual games themselves though are actually very good for the most part, Mario Galaxy, Batman: Arkham City, Skyward Sword, Portal 2, Skyrim, Uncharted 2 and so on, this passing generation has produced some undeniable classics.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:38 pm

I love games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

I like lamp.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Retro as all games become retro eventually

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 am

Since I generally don't like games with numbers or colons in the title, I prefer retro. 8)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:14 am

silvergunner wrote:Retro as all games become retro eventually
:lol:

I'd go retro, just because its what I play most. More due to convenience and being able to play retro anywhere without hogging the telly. 'Mno stranger to modern gaming though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.