Games that make you feel epic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Games that make you feel epic

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 pm

(and no, the thread title wasn't intended to be a play on those crappy Money Supermarket ads!)

I'm thinking games like Doom. In Doom you're just one guy who goes straight into hell to fight legions of demons with only shotguns, rockets etc. You're totally against the odds with only human weaponry and that makes the game - for me at least - feel epic.

Others?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheNewMonkey

Re: Games that make you feel epic

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Crackdown!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Megamixer wrote:(and no, the thread title wasn't intended to be a play on those crappy Money Supermarket ads!)

I'm thinking games like Doom. In Doom you're just one guy who goes straight into hell to fight legions of demons with only shotguns, rockets etc. You're totally against the odds with only human weaponry and that makes the game - for me at least - feel epic.

Others?
Brutal DOOM, doing those fatalities

Dynasty Warriors/Samurai warriors/Warriors orochi you vs 100+

Sonic allstars racing transformed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Guitar Hero. Its one of those rare feel good games that transitions to real life, so I don't feel like I'm interacting with a game world but instead playing the music I'm listening to in my front room. It breaks the screen barrier and spills out to fill the room.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Shmups are good for this, you feel like an absolute boss when you manage to get a decent score or 1CC a game. Also, Dark Souls. All of it! Never felt so gratified or pleased with myself than when I crept a little bit further along in that game.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:22 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:Crackdown!
Good call.

I've been playing a bit of Diablo 3 recently and once you get some decent gear, you do feel kinda epic and super powerful!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Streets Of Rage 2

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

when everything goes off without a hitch tenchu,in fact almost any stealth game like mgs and splinter cell.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Resident Evil series?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:45 pm

God of war was one for me, starting of as a slave to ares then killing all the mythical creatures from Greek mythology until you take on ares and replace him as the god of war.

I love games like that.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:49 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:God of war was one for me, starting of as a slave to ares then killing all the mythical creatures from Greek mythology until you take on ares and replace him as the god of war.

I love games like that.
Yeah, the boss battles in those games (especially the Hydra in the first one) also make GoW feel epic. I hate the QTE's in principal but seeing Kratos gradually destroy mythological monsters is indeed epic.

Would also suggest Outrun 2 and it's various updates. I love playing Coast 2 Coast, setting the BGM to the remix of Turbo Outrun's 'Rush A Difficulty' and just going for it. Is there anything better than listening to amazing tunes like that then slip-streaming a rival on the straight before drifting around the outside of their car on a long u-shaped bend? I think not.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Definitley the Arkham games. I'm not just playing as Batman, I am Batman!

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Shadow of the colossus really evokes this feeling. Nothing like jumping off a giants stony corpse and holding your sword in the air while shouting "I did that. Come at me other stony giants!"
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Grizzly wrote:Shadow of the colossus really evokes this feeling. Nothing like jumping off a giants stony corpse and holding your sword in the air while shouting "I did that. Come at me other stony giants!"
They you get the feeling of remorse

HE WAS ONLY NIPPING DOWN THE SHOPS FOR A PINT OF MILK DAMN IT!!!

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:God of war was one for me, starting of as a slave to ares then killing all the mythical creatures from Greek mythology until you take on ares and replace him as the god of war.

I love games like that.
This. The final cut scene had me grinning like a loon. Same goes with Darksiders. The yakuza games, especially the first few because kazuma is hard as nails and you could take on the whole city. Got a gun? I'll just smash you over the head with a bike. :D