Owning games for systems you don't own.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nokgod

Re: Owning games for systems you don't own.

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 am

oh yeah. loads. I tend to buy stuff if i think its a good game, regardless of whether i own the system or not. The logic behind that is purely to keep as trade fodder, as most of the stuff i'll swap on here or other forums.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 am

When I moved house earlier in the year I found a sealed copy of gears of war 2. No idea where It came from, certainly didn't buy it. Made a friend happy anyway.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Donkey Kong for Apple II. Klax for Lynx.
6 VIC-20 carts - but I own a VIC-20 now!
I think I have an A8 game on floppy - got the A8 but only tape recorder.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a few 360 games and no console to play them on. I plan on picking up some more too before getting a 360 to play them on at some point.

Also got a fair few Japanese Saturn games but have yet to get my system modded (something I want to do next year).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm

for the gamecube i bought luigi's mansion,mario sunshine (it had a memory card with it) and the incredibles months before getting a console but i had decided i wanted the console so when i saw the games that's why i grabbed them.

i also have some ntsc ps2 games with no way to play them yet.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:19 am

Yeah, I couldn't resist picking up a boxed Paperboy for the Master System, despite not owning the console. My rationale is that I do intend to own it, I'm just waiting until I see one at the right price.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:58 am

I found Ufouria for the NES for a decent price (£12), so bought that despite not owning a NES (or ever intending to). It's one of my favourite games through emulation, so just thought it'd be nice. A few months later I got a NES to Famicom adaptor, so I can sort of play it on one of my portable Famiclones if I REALLY want to...

Also got a few Spectrum games, games that we used to have before the Spectrum we had disappeared.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 am

earlier this year i bought both n64 zelda games, i dont own an n64 and never have, never played zelda either

bought in a bundle, along with golden axe, golden axe warrior and rainbow islands, all for the ms

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 am

3 years ago i found a copy of a racing game on the Super Nintendo for $1 at a charity shop so I picked it up, sadly I still haven't got a SNES, but just bought a Super Famicom.

I also have 4 Game Gear games that i picked up for a few dollars, but I'm not still keen on getting a Game Gear at the moment.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Ive a couple of Jet Set Willy games for Amstrad. Problem is a) I dont have an Amstrad, and b) I dont want an Amstrad. And if I did, and someone broke in, I'd be better off throwing it at them.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

neo-geo-mvs

Post by neo-geo-mvs » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 pm

A while back I was buying PSP games as they were so cheap. ended up with 20 but no PSP. In the end I decided that I was happy with my GBA so sold of most of the games. Still have 2 to shift.