Getting stuck thread of humbleness.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bluce_Ree

Getting stuck thread of humbleness.

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 am

There's a lot of chatter about how new games go too easy on you and it's probably a valid point. GTA V (which is fantastic) lets you skip missions and many games have quick saving in them. The upside is that it does stop content being locked away from you if you get stuck.

That got me thinking about old games where my progress was absolutely halted. The best examples for me are;

Kung Fu Master - I think I got past level 2 once in the last thirty years. That combination of vases, dragons, midgets and a horrible boss are too much for me.

Rainbow Islands - Dracula. Immortal son of a censored.

Where did you get stuck?

koopa42

Re: Getting stuck thread of humbleness.

Post by koopa42 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:50 am

When your girlfriend turns into a freddy kruger monster on Splatterhouse. I've never managed it, I spent 1 billion 20ps trying back in the day. I could get the extra lives, I could even get there without being hit by the end .... but that was the end of that game for me :? I never managed it legit on MAME either. MAG (from RP) is the king of that game though and showed me it was possible at the original Retroball.

Doing the Royal Rumble on Wrestlefest with DiBiase, no over the ropes throw and a knee thing off the ropes? There just isn't enough time to 1cc it.

CoD4 sniper flashback chernobyl (sp?) ferris wheel level? Was playing it on veteran, got a dodgy checkpoint without having claymores? it ended that game stone cold for me.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 pm

The waterfall level on Revenge of Shinobi. As in, the SECOND LEVEL. Still haven't been able to do that in twenty years of playing the bloody game :oops:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

That waterfall jump can be tricky - there is an extra magic item hidden if you can dare stay on the log long enough - but even with the 'jump' magic it can be a stretch. Not as bad as the harbour level mind.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 pm

As a kid who played this all the time I remember completing the game(revenge of shinobi) quite easy in two weeks. Just took quite a while to get the best ending. Tried playing it recently and it just owned me :lol: man it's tough.
Last edited by silvergunner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:There's a lot of chatter about how new games go too easy on you and it's probably a valid point. GTA V (which is fantastic) lets you skip missions and many games have quick saving in them. The upside is that it does stop content being locked away from you if you get stuck.

That got me thinking about old games where my progress was absolutely halted. The best examples for me are;

Kung Fu Master - I think I got past level 2 once in the last thirty years. That combination of vases, dragons, midgets and a horrible boss are too much for me.

Rainbow Islands - Dracula. Immortal son of a censored.

Where did you get stuck?
Kung Fu Master the game of the Jackie Chan movie 'Spartan X' aka Meals on Wheels

Just wait till you get to the fourth level and those red and yellow bee's or moths whatever they are, the boss of that level is also highly annoying if you punch him you knock his head off and your stunned.. I could 1cc it and you got a Dragon above your score could never complete a second time, or saw anybody else do it..

The second level is quite easy if you keep walking as most of the vase's can be kicked as they fall and the boss dies quickly from standing kicks..

To me Zombies Revenge I thought it was impossible until I saw some Japanese ninja 1cc it with the woman..

Also Out Run could never pass the second level one mistake and you had it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Mario Kart Star Cup 150cc

Sim City - never quite managed to make a Megaopolis

Die Hard Trilogy - couldn't beat the least levels of DH3 without cheat codes

Gears of War 3 - final boss on insane

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Final boss on Metroid Fusion.

Last boss on level 6 of Viewtiful Joe.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:40 am

Danmaku shmup bosses of various sorts.

This thing being the worst one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zthnUuzUHxU

After finally reaching that nightmare, it then took me about another year to get good enough to defeat it. The difficulty spike is monstrous, and that mode is meant to be stupid hard to begin with.

The second stage boss had also thwarted me for quite some time and remains one of the most bloody irritating bosses I can think of.

There's been plenty of other things in that genre that have gotten me stuck, but none so bad as that.

If I had to pick a retro game though, hmm.... Ikari Warriors on the NES. The first game, not the second or third. Which part gets me stuck? ALL OF THE PARTS. I always liked that game, but holy freaking crap. I think it's damn near impossible, and coming from me, that says alot.

Ghosts N Goblins on NES as well. That one's actually not so bad once you start to learn what to do in each part, but I'll get stuck at that #(%&-ing mansion with those yellow jerks that constantly cough up blue deathballs straight down at you.... often right over the ladder that you need to climb up. I swear, they ENJOY sitting on top of those damn things just so I cant go up them. Loathesome little jerks. It can take bloody forever to go through this one section.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:11 am

koopa42 wrote:When your girlfriend turns into a freddy kruger monster on Splatterhouse. I've never managed it, I spent 1 billion 20ps trying back in the day. I could get the extra lives, I could even get there without being hit by the end .... but that was the end of that game for me :? I never managed it legit on MAME either. MAG (from RP) is the king of that game though and showed me it was possible at the original Retroball.
If you know when to do the slide move, it's actually do-able without being touched at all. But the game never teaches you the slide move, you just need to figure it out. As for the turning slide as you land move - that's a bit of a t**t to pull off consistently...There was a time when I could 1CC Splatterhouse arcade without being hit. It's largely a memory test. Great game though!

glitchy controller

Post by glitchy controller » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:58 am

Could never beat the multi coloured dragon in Outland, it still irks me.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

Mootown wrote:
koopa42 wrote:When your girlfriend turns into a freddy kruger monster on Splatterhouse. I've never managed it, I spent 1 billion 20ps trying back in the day. I could get the extra lives, I could even get there without being hit by the end .... but that was the end of that game for me :? I never managed it legit on MAME either. MAG (from RP) is the king of that game though and showed me it was possible at the original Retroball.
If you know when to do the slide move, it's actually do-able without being touched at all. But the game never teaches you the slide move, you just need to figure it out. As for the turning slide as you land move - that's a bit of a t**t to pull off consistently...There was a time when I could 1CC Splatterhouse arcade without being hit. It's largely a memory test. Great game though!

Ah, that's another "stuck" one for me. Not Splatterhouse specifically, but absolutely anything in the "beat-em-up" genre.

Which always feels dumb to me. Actual fighting games? I'm great at those. Beat-em-ups? Watch how fast I can die!

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:27 am

I know it's not strictly speaking getting stuck as there was a way around it built into the game, but the microscope puzzle in 7th Guest always had me tearing my hair out and swearing at my screen. The final puzzle of 11th Hour was a ballache too cos there's just no way around it, but I think I was a couple of years smarter when I played that.
The absolute worst though was in GK2: The Beast Within... I'm sure you know the bit I mean... the puzzle that gets you access to the wolves at the zoo... Yeah.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm

FIFA 2006 World Cup.
Global Challenge Mode - Sweden Vs Brazil.
Never managed to do it.And it haunts me to this day.

Haunted Castle the arcade game.Level 3 onwards is an unholy mess of brick hardness.

IO-C64 Shoot em up. The very first attack wave lets you know what to expect.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm

The final mission (think it was called The President's Run?) on the original Driver on the PS1. Just feck off. :evil:

The entire game had a decent level of challenge until that whopping difficulty spike right at the end. I'm not even sure if it's actually do-able without cheating :? . Certainly, that mission only seems to have been put in to provide some great 'car crash' footage for the Director mode, as your car gets rammed again and again and again by the insanely fast and suicidal black cars of death :evil:
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!